Help Me Choose

nordberg

You'd be amazed how many buyers add nothing.  I can't remember the statistics but my local dealer told me them and there is a huge number of people who spec metallic paint and leave everything else at standard spec.

For some reason I thought a lot of people would choose the SatNav Pro/Media package, but apparently that's not the case at all and they still sell a collosal amount of cars with no Nav specced at all.

I was genuinely shocked the other day to see an M5 (last generation) with a Sat Nav stuck on the window, I wouldn't spunk out the sum of money required to buy an integrated one but there must come a point with the price of the car (and I would think 60k is about it) when it's a no brainer to have it?

I was genuinely shocked the other day to see an M5 (last generation) with a Sat Nav stuck on the window, I wouldn't spunk out the sum of money required to buy an integrated one but there must come a point with the price of the car (and I would think 60k is about it) when it's a no brainer to have it?

Did you pull your tshirt up over your elbow, smash the window and rob it? Only I need a new TomTom...

The new Nav is superb. I'd struggle to fault it and it is very fast.

But it's £2k. Which is a lot of cash. Can see why a private buyer would baulk at that, and it does add a fair chunk of money to monthly lease prices, too - it was £720 over 3 years for me - and I'd still have had to bolt something to the dash for Spotify.

If someone would install a system in a car that did Spotify, I'd pay for it.

To be fair, I will more than likely adding metallic, Business Media and, possibly, auto 'box as the only options. Are we saying the Business Media is not worth having?

The finance guy I'm dealing with tells me BMW are offering Xdrive as a no-cost option on the M Sport at the moment :)

Aren't there 3 levels now?

Business Media without nav. at £1k

Business Nav. at £1.5k

Professional Nav. at £2k.

As I understand it, the business nav. is awful and the business media not worth £1k, as it only gives you the same stuff you get standard in a Fiesta.

Whatever you do, make sure you have 'enhanced bluetooth and USB' - I know I bang on about this one, but the media system is crippled without it.

Last generation?  So E60?  Might be that they wanted up-to-date maps, as a new set of discs from BMW is similar money to a new TomTom.

But it's £2k. Which is a lot of cash. Can see why a private buyer would baulk at that, and it does add a fair chunk of money to monthly lease prices, too - it was £720 over 3 years for me - and I'd still have had to bolt something to the dash for Spotify.

If someone would install a system in a car that did Spotify, I'd pay for it.

BMW ConnectedDrive has Deezer.  Does everything Spotify does.  I never use either though.:roflmao:

It also comes with Web Radio, Aupeo!, Stitcher, Snippy, TuneIn, Napster/Rhapsody, Audible and Pandora.  That's just the music/audio apps too.  There are masses more and I use quite a few of the others.

I use Glympse and Google Services a lot.  Street View, Panaramio, etc.    Glympse tells clients my position via email if I am delayed when en route.  It sounds strange at first, but it has made an excellent impression with a number of major organisations who have been quick to ask how it works. 

I have my Office 365 Exchange account delivering real-time mail to the car, my GMail account syncs with it live too. 

I use the BMW Routes system so I never (or rarely) ever have to input a destination in the car.  My laptop, iPad or iPhone sends the route to the car.

I use both Facebook and Twitter in the car, via the main display (i.e. not on the media phone I use in it) and I use the WikiTour feature a huge amount (i.e. when you drive through somewhere it speaks to you and tells you about the place - I learn loads from that!).

We've always had SatNav Pro in our BMW's and I see it as a bit of a no brainer if you want full integration.  There is a residual impact too, especially on higher end cars.

The thing for me is very simple - I want a car that has the things on it I will use and I never want that moment when I think "I wish I'd specced that...".

Oh and we always add the silly little LED compass thing for the interior mirror.  Not because we use it, just because it's neat.:roflmao:

Out of interest, I looked at our lease site again last night. I missed a trick when I ordered my car - I never specced up a 330d... turns out that I could have had a 330d Modern for something like 30 quid a month more than a 318d Modern. (I'd definitely have found the money to get 254bhp and a 6 pot)

Doh!

At least I know for 2.5 years time!

I didn't tick any options when I ordered my car. M Sport Plus spec. I wanted M-sport spec with 18" wheels, full leather, bluetooth and sun protection glass - that's what the plus spec came with so I was happy.

I didn't even bother with heated seats as I like the car cold all the time.

Its funny what you get used to though. I always resisted heated flooring at the old house but find I really enjoy it.

same with heated seats - always said I was not interested when speccing the Audi and scoffed at using it when I would take 'er Civic but has been on most of the time in the bimmer so far and am glad at how quickly and evenly it heats.

In principle I could live without satnav in the car as the Lumia has an excellent one but appreciate having a good one built in (etc)