525d/530d

Rich

May need a mile muncher in the near future. Probably doing somewhere between 20-25k per year. I'm thinking about getting a second 525D or 530D for it with the tiptronic or steptronic (what ever BMW call it). Looking around quickly I'd probably choose something around a V or W for as cheap as possible, although obviosuly decent. Most around that age seem to have at least 80k on the clock already. What sort of milage would you expect these cars to be good for, I'm expecting at least 200k??

Rich

[ QUOTE ]

May need a mile muncher in the near future. Probably doing somewhere between 20-25k per year. I'm thinking about getting a second 525D or 530D for it with the tiptronic or steptronic (what ever BMW call it). Looking around quickly I'd probably choose something around a V or W for as cheap as possible, although obviosuly decent. Most around that age seem to have at least 80k on the clock already. What sort of milage would you expect these cars to be good for, I'm expecting at least 200k??

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I would personally try and find a late 2000X onwards facelift 530d Sport with miles private. M5 looks, the pineapple ring headlights. Depends on your budget but nothing wrong with a high miler. Must be plenty of trade-ins around with the new model coming out.

Ian C

post-3281-137914265059_thumb.jpg

Not really considered the A8 as I will probably need an estate (sorry Avant or touring!!) for the dogs!

I really like the angel lights on the 5 series, but not sure if my budget will stretch that new. I don't want to spend too much as I'm not expecting the car to be worth anything when I've finished with it so can't justify writing off too much money.

I did consider the A6 avant, but I drove the A6 2.5 TDI as a loaner and the performance did not seem that great. It might have been because I'm used to a smaller car, I'll have to see if I can get that one again when my car goes in next week. The A6's seem to be cheaper than the equivalent 5 series. I must admit though I sat in a couple of 5 series at a dealer and I do like the interiors.

My list started as (all diesles):

Rover/MG 75 estate - no tiptronic so dropped

Omega - no tiptronic so dropped

525/530d touring - Top of the list at the moment

A6 Avant - Second on the list at the moment

Saab 9-5 - diesel tiptronic quite new so out of budget

If anyone else has some ideas that'll be great, looking for diesel, tiptronic, cruise, air con. Parking sensors, sat nav are a bonus!!

Rich

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

Not driven an auto, but 2 of my colleagues have 525d, one Sport 4dr, and one SE Touring. The SE actually drives better, but the Sport looks and rides really nicely.

Swapped for a weekend with my boss (525d Sport) and we both decided my A4 TDi 130 is actually quicker!

[/ QUOTE ]

Things have completely changed for me at the moment so not sure if I'm gonna look down this route or not. At the moment because I think the change from the S3 will be hard I think the 330d touring is more likely on the cards.......thats if the S3 doesn't stay ROLLEY~14.GIF

• 4 months later...

Have driven the new A4 TDI130 Sport - ballistic in manual compared with an auto 525d. I own a 2000 530d manual, having previously a 96 A4 110TDI. If it wasn't for the intrusive centre console on the new A4 i would have bought one.

@Motorway speeds, realistically you get about 42mpg out of the 5-series, bit more from the 3. In 3l form anyways. The 525d is famed for being almost as thirsty as the 530d if you're at all keen to progress!

My cars was pre-facelift, but it's a half hour job to fit new Angel Eyes for around £320 mail order.

• 2 weeks later...