cuts out while driving and sometimes at idle

katzi4314

I have been advised to try you for help. I have a Vw Golf cabrio mk 3.5 1999 1595cc and I am having a problem with it which is getting worse. I have noticed an intermittent fault where the car suddenly loses power. It slows down and the dash lights come on to show stalled. It happens on and off but more when petrol tank down to quarter full. I have had a mechanic use diagnostic over 7 months ago and the results were

01243 intake manifold valve short circuit

01249 inj 1 short circuit 

01250 inj 2 short circuit 

01251 inj 3 short circuit 

01252 inj 4 short circuit

00635 o2 sensor heater circuit short circuit with ground intermittent.

since then ive had new cat and lamda sensor and took to jct 600 volkswagen who gave me a print out of faults but could not link my problem to any of them..those results in red were...

servo pipe split 

Coil pack earth lead broken 

dizzy cap rotor arm 

spark plugs and ht leads.

cars getting worse and now the steerings getting heavy and horrible screech noise which may not be related

another diagnostic done today revealed code 00515 camshaft position sensor g40 outside tolerances. any ideas

if youve read all this then thank-you

kat

Hi ya!

That camshaft sensor is a right bugger when it goes.  They sometimes crack, so can earth out/give false readings.

It is worth replacing ASAP.

You can manually change the spark plugs, dizzy cap and HT leads.  GSF/Eurocarparts will have all the items you need and it will only take you 60 mins for that lot.  Be careful on the HT leads - do them 1 at a time, so you know which one replaces which.  You don't want to mix them up!

If the problem is related to how much fuel you have in the tank, then that is where you need to look.

The lift pump in the tank may be old and knackered, or it's pickup pipe may have corroded and have holes or be shorter than it should be, so replace that and see what happens.

This is probably not what you want/expected to hear, but I can't help but think it. 

What's the likely budget for fixing this?  And then fixing the other problems?  And then looking for the real problem?  And then fixing that as well? And then... well, you get the message...

If you take that budget and offer it together with the px value of your car when test-driven with a full tank of fuel, what else can you get?