2015 fitness thread

Soulboy

^ ^

Agree 100%.

There are plenty of older role models out there.

For me (boxing) Bernard Hopkins won a WBA world title in 2014 - age 49!

If you just throw yourself at it and get involved, you will meet like minded people - and almost certainly a mentor will come along.

As Luke (and Nike) say - Just do it +++

We wait to hear what you are going to do Torino :grin:

Edited by Soulboy

As a matter of interest how old are you Mook? The reason I ask is I'm 33, very keen on fitness, but mostly weight training and short burst aerobic exercise (squash, spinning), but I have always hankered to do more in the style of triathlons and obstacle races. The reason I don't, I'm sh*t scared, to be honest. I wish I had a mentor to guide me into something like this but I don't, I have to take the plunge and feel I need to do it soon. I'm for the first time starting to suffer from proper injuries which is massively depressing and I'm starting to feel my age (Hip and forearm problems). Hence why I'm asking your age, as if you can do it at X age (I suspect you're older than me), it means I should get off my butt and do it at mine! 

It's ALL a state of mind.

I don't give a toss what physical age I am - I'm now 47, but feel better than I did when I was 30.  I've a metabolic age of 31 (based on body composition, heart rate etc. 90kg and 10.8%BF) and want to keep it that way.  Maybe it helps that my not-wife is 36 ;)

Age is all relative.  I've had two major shoulder ops (sub-acromular decompression) in 2010 and 2011, and it took me a good two years to get back to about 90% of my original strength in my right shoulder.  I spent a solid 6 months last year focusing on getting my full shoulder strength back.  I've got a couple of issues with my right elbow, but I find a way to work around all the injuries I've got and also find out how to strengthen the affected area - takes time to get it right but it works.

I picked up a calf injury racing early last year and fecked my ankle in October going over on it downhill overtaking someone 3km into a 21km race.  Medics asked if I wanted to stop, but I'm stubborn (unsurprisingly) and wanted to finish the race.  I did, and still came in the top 15%.  I've spent two months recovering and seeing the physio regularly - pretty much back to normal now.

I train five-six days a week, all for endurance - resistance training, spinning, running and biking.  I'm not really built for running (I'm too heavy at 90kg), but I use my strength to my advantage in obstacle racing (OCR), because a lot of people struggle with a lot of the obstacles, rope-climbs, sprinting and swimming through rivers etc - I HATE doing burpees, which is a penalty for failing any obstacle in the Spartan series, so I try to make sure I never fail at them :)

A lot of the OCR designers are coming up with much tougher ideas now, and there's one series in Scandinavia - "Toughest" http://www.toughest.se/en/ - which we want to have a crack at this or next year.

If you're getting into OCR, then find someone, or a group to do it with - we all drive each other, hard.  It's a great reason for having massive vodka sessions afterwards :D

Like I say, age is pretty much irrelevant - two of our team are 36, two are 41 and there's me :)

Best of luck on your crusade - and keep us in the loop! 

• Like 1

With two young kids there is no way I would want to commit to doing so much exercise, I go for a swim in the morning before work when I work from home and go for the odd run but walk a LOT.

I eat far too much which is why my waist line is a little too big but I'm not that unfit I don't think. But I just don't think I'd really ever want to put exercise ahead of so much other aspects of life for me there are just other things I want to do. 

If you want to do it, you'll find the time as I've found out this week.

Doing 06:45 - 07:30 classes at the gym 3 times a week and up at 06:30 to go on the cross trainer/do circuits on the other days. I get home at about the same time as I used to get up so still get the little one sorted and to school.

I'm just going to bed a bit earlier than I used to and am adapting surprisingly well and quickly.

• Like 1

Completely agree with you CarMad - Miss Mook is now at Uni and Mook Jnr just turned 18, is big time into fitness and is going to race with us this year a few times :)

In terms of groups to join - none of us did. We all trained at the same gym and just all decided to do a race one time and it went from there

I've not signed up to do Body Combat classes on a Tuesday, Pilates Wednesday and as Biscuits has said a running machine has been delivered but yet to be set up ...... I don't actually have a clothes airer as tend to just put shirts etc on hangers into the airing cupboard but we will see (and I think I need new "running" trainers  +++ )  

• Like 1

Had a great ride out this am. It wasn't too cold and the sun was out. About 90 mins of fun on the local trails and found a new route that I didnt know about (been going passed it for about 5 years!). Always difficult when it's winter but after 5 mins it's lovely.

• Like 1

Ice stopped play this morning as it was just too slippery underfoot to risk going for a run first thing. This meant I had to moderate my lunch with friends to merely substantial instead of glutenous :(

To make matters worse I realised 40 minutes into what I thought was going to be a one hour run, that the plan I'm following said 1hr 15 mins, one quick detour later job done.

Enjoying have a plan to follow as it reduces the temptation to skip a session.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Mrs and I a couple of Jawbone Up 24s. A mate of mine has bought thousands of the things and is knocking them out via Groupon so they were at mates rates.

Very, very impressed.

Got it synced with My Fitness Pal and Run Keeper. It is worth it just for the sleep analysis let alone the rest of the stuff it does. I have paired it with the Mrs' so it lets me know if she is sitting in her arse doing nothing. I can then text her to tell her to do some ironing! It also let's me know when she is in a deep sleep.....! :)

I have run 15 miles this week and it logs it all and gives you a reminder to get moving.

Recommended if you need a help getting motivated.

• 5 months later...