Thinking of a BMW M235i

AZURES3

MX5 is indeed a completely different car to a Boxster or Cayman.

One is a performance car.  The other is simple driving fun at a level (if it is anything like the original) that I've never found anything to match.

Everyone should be forced to drive an MX5 at 17-18 years of age for a month.  It'll improve driving standards in this country no end.  It is certainly the car that I look back on most fondly.

• Like 1

I have no doubt the latest S3 is a very capable car indeed.  From what I've read it makes a lot more sense to buy one than an RS3 (in the value stakes).

I think it comes down to what you want out of a car and one other thing....

As every BMW owner on here knows, you have got to ignore the usual "Oh it's a BMW, it'll not be driveable in anything other than dry conditions" remarks from some quarters.  Grip and handling is a very subjective thing in an owners mind.  BMW haven't sold millions of cars in the UK because they're dangerous.

The difference comes down to one thing and one thing alone - the driver.

We keep trying Audi whenever we buy a car.  We look at what the equivalent model is in their range and we try them, Mercedes, etc.  We do it because they make a quality car and there are some areas in which they surpass BMW.

Two things keep spoiling it for us.

The dealer experience.  I don't know what it is about how Audi train dealers or monitor them, but the contrast in their service to BMW (and we've tried more than one dealer on many occasions) is stark.  That may be unfortunate and bad luck on our part.  There'll be others who have had outstanding dealer experiences.

Secondly, the drive.  I find myself getting frustrated at how numb the cars feel within minutes.  I don't just mean in the feel of connection to the road.  I mean in the feel of the brakes, the driving position, you name it. 

The best I've driven was the R8.  That was a very impressive car and if it had a little more 'something' about it then it would be best in class.  The problem is that it has the 911 to compete with and it simply hasn't quite got there yet.  I think it may do one day.

I do think it'd be wise to drive an S3 though.  In fact it'd be daft to shell out the money without doing so.  Maybe you'll find it a better car for you.  That's the crux of it - we all want and like different things in our vehicles.

I have to agree so far the experience of the dealers and their presentation, knowledge of staff and flexibility are miles apart. Along with the run down look of many of the Audi garages. Comparing Vines of Guildford with Basingstoke Audi was unbelievable. BMW salesman doing all he can to impress, arrived at Basingstoke Audi 4 sales guys sat around talking but apparently they were unable to offer a test drive on their demo S3 Sportback ffs. When I asked why he said it has to be ore booked, which I get but it was dead in there and 4 sales guys doing nothing.

Historically, my experience of a Rover dealer was actually quite good. At the NEC motorshow several years ago I had quite a long and sympathetic chat with a Rover sales chap who by 2pm on day one of the show had given up any pretence that the CityRover was anything more than an overpriced piece of Indian junk that they were shamelessly foisting on people who knew nothing about cars. During the conversation someone accidentally snapped off the entire front grille.

The worst two main dealers I've had any direct experience of were Audi and Mercedes in Stockport. Audi for sales, Merc for service.

• Like 1

I once had an MGF.  I even admit to it.  The dealers were okay.  Not brilliant on after service (keen to backheel everything), but okay.

My ex-father in law had a Rover 620ti and it was his third or fourth Rover in as many years.  He used to change them annually - just before they stopped working.

My 1.8iS was a 1994 car.

Bought new from Durham and driven home in blistering hot weather (yes, it happened) in April.

That summer, if anyone can recall, was very warm.  I spent months of every weekend scooting across the North Yorkshire Moors and elsewhere having a fantastic time.

People can call MX5's all they want.  Anyone that has owned one is smiling constantly, and not because of their sexual preferences.  They're smiling because they know and those that haven't ever owned one don't.  What do they know?  They just know.

Car enthusiasts have the habit of saying you're not a true enthusiast if you've never owned an Alfa.  That is old hat.  You're just not an idiot.  However, if you've never owned an MX5, then you've missed possibly the most driving joy you can get.  I can't even describe it properly.  You just have to own one at some point in your life.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe
  • Like 1

I've owned several Alfas and MX5, I'd have to say both are essential ownership experiences for proper petrol heads, however, it would have to be a proper Alfa, not the stuff they sell today.

The problem is trying to find one these days, my Alfa Sud was a fantastic car, out handled all of it's rivals, Golf GTi, Astra GTE, 5 Turbo, you name it, even dare I say it, the 205 GTi, but try and find one these days, rocking horse poo.

Similarly my Alfa 75 3.0 V6 was about as good a handling rwd car you'll ever find, engine up front, gearbox at the back, perfect balance, only bettered by it's 2.0 4 pot brother, but that V6 engine, still the best sounding mass production engine ever made bar none.

And then the Spider, if you think an MX5 is fun then you've still got a thing or two to learn, the Spider is everything an MX5 is multiplied by 2.

You can't talk about Alfas without people who don't know what they are talking about spouting on about reliability, well let me tell you, all my Alfas, and I've owned a few, have never given me any major issues whatsoever, far less in fact than supposedly reliable Japanese and German brands I've owned.

Can't deny the rust issue, but anything that has survived this long is going to be ok.

Ohhhhhhhh.......? Do tell. Or fetch that thumbscrew on the left, whichever you prefer :coffee:

:roflmao:

We found Garcon sat in a secluded countryside car park with his lights on and playing on his phone that he hastily put away when we arrived.

I made a joke about him being sat waiting for his Grindr hookup.

2 minutes later this bloke appears in the bushes (we are in the middle of nowhere) headed towards us, catches sight of the group of us and then buggers off again.

I'm not saying we scared Garcon's hookup away, but . . .

• Like 6

We found Garcon sat in a secluded countryside car park with his lights on and playing on his phone that he hastily put away when we arrived.

I made a joke about him being sat waiting for his Grindr hookup.

2 minutes later this bloke appears in the bushes (we are in the middle of nowhere) headed towards us, catches sight of the group of us and then buggers off again.

I'm not saying we scared Garcon's hookup away, but . . .

Hahaha!