SneakyMcC

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

It did start when the cambelt was changed your right but I'm guessing there is no way of proving it, they'll just say it's down to age deteriation. She's in for her M.O.T. tomorrow, so I might mention it again then.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a pre facelift 32 valve motor....and it started after the timing belt change....it's because they were leaning on the fuel lines when they put the cam locks in on the right hand head....it's easy to lean on them!

tbp23.JPG

They have different connectors....gee....wonder why? smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

I just so happen to have some archieved for your viewing pleasure.....just uploaded them! beerchug.gif

First the old style that leak:

fuel2.JPG

Now here's the post face lift lines....you can see they just have clamps on them, but the high pressure supply line is kinda like the old style.....but have never heard of one leaking yet....

fuel10.JPG

This one is just under the plastic piece just aft of the airbox....all the connectors are like these.

fuel11.JPG

[ QUOTE ]

I imagine these aren't cheap to replace...

[/ QUOTE ]

You got that right Sven! As you'll remember, PaulW's 'audipages' states something like $800 for the kit (State-Side), plus the labour EEK2.GIF (hence why ben says about repair instead of replacement).

But even the service adviser warned that the labour potentially high as the pipes go from end to end of the vehicle.

Ben, it you feel a bit reluctant to push this with the stealer/Audi UK, I'll do it for/with you. There will be no rudeness (you get sweet FA like that).

Come on m8ty wink.gif

Cheers Paul, that put's my mind at ease a bit... wink.gif

I read Ben's post too quickly... he said "fancy having a one peice pipe that runs front to back on the car", ad I read it as " I fancy having a one piece pipe that runs front to back on the car". One letter, big difference... SMOKE6.GIF

Still, try to get it from them, you can only win. If not you can still repair it... wink.gif

If that is the third line that is routed with the fuel lines, which it looks like it is....

217043-Fuel%20leak%20001%2023%20Jul%2004.JPG

Then it's part of the evaporative controls. It's a hose used to capture fuel or oil vapor (don't know what).....then it brings it to the back side of the car where the tank is.....and I think it purges it through a charchol canister....the electrical device probably works off a differential pressure in the tank, etc.

I've read about it before....but right now I'm just taking a stab at it....but it is for emmissions and vapor recovery.

pw

Started the A8 up this morning to go to work. No smell of fuel.

I read earlier that it only happens when chilly? When extra fuel is used by the engine in warm-up mode?

I can give you my details of the Meridien Audi Cambelt job if you want my input too. As long as it does not psis them off for next service time!

Thanks PW, I've mailed this pic to the Audi centre, dont suppose the service adviser would know, but their tech's should. This thing clicks so loudly sometimes. There is no way Audi would have such an item be so noisey?

Sven did suggest summit to do with the charchol canister.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Started the A8 up this morning to go to work. No smell of fuel.

I read earlier that it only happens when chilly? When extra fuel is used by the engine in warm-up mode?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it may just be something as simple as heat expansion?

[ QUOTE ]

I can give you my details of the Meridien Audi Cambelt job if you want my input too. As long as it does not psis them off for next service time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, pls give us your details. Deffo not gonna miff anyone off. Totally detremetal. beerchug.gif

Can pm me directly or when I have a case number from Audi UK, you could email them directly [email protected]

169144-ok.gif

Yeah, it said the the canister holds hydracarbons evapourating and the hc's are fed back into the system when the motors running. But didnt see the bit about the valve. I know you mentioned it.

Plus, this was more than 5 minute ago, so how the feck do you expect me remember that long ago? blush.gif

beerchug.gif

Received this from the stealers this morning.

[ QUOTE ]

Fuel pipe repair would require tank and poss rear axle removed as pipes go front to rear and we would not modify pipes to fit

Labour is 6 hours @ £87.50 per hour, Parts cost is £144.98.

labour to fit siren for alarm fault is 1 hour, Parts cost is £67.33.

Wiring harness would have to be repaired for brake fault (1 hour recommended)

G/Box oil and filter change 2 hours labour, Parts cost £98.24 inc oil.

Front pads and discs repair 1.50 labour, Parts cost £263.21.

All prices are plus vat but subject to 10% parts and labour discount due to age of car, Parts will have to be ordered if you wish to proceed.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do they mean " poss to remove the rear axle". Dont they know? frown.gif

The tot is about £1700 inc the tax. £708 is the fuel leak!

I think that's standard generic dealer speak. Imho it's only Quattro models where they completely remove the rear axle *if* they need to take out the fuel tank. At FWD cars they need to take off the springs tho, so it needs to be disassembled up to a point.

It's no surprise the fuel line replacement is expensive really. I'd go for the PW fix if they don't do warranty/courtesy.

The siren you could do yourself I suppose... For pads & discs you could go aftermarket... (ask Botang).

What's with the wiring?

As expected, A/UK have made a good will gesture of £100 towards the cost of repair.

They have rightly said that:

1. There is no evidence on the car to suggest that the stealer has caused the leak.

2. There is no job card to state my complaints of fuel smells after the work.

3. Their technical dept (something that in the past they denied having) has no data of there being this problem.

My answers:

1. I have stressed that there would not need to be evidence of the stealer causing the damage. They only have to lean on the pipes to cause the leaks.

2. I have asked A/UK to confirm a job card exists for when I returned the car to have the headlight wiring reconnected, and when I informed them that other parts had not been refitted, just left loose under the bonnet.

3. I need names of you guys who are suffering the same problem.

I have also asked that if there has to be physical evidence that the damage has been coursed by the stealer, how can I protect myself for the next time I have the belt changed. There is no physical evidence when it goes in, and none when it come out. 2 stealers have had several attempts to find the leaks and failed! The off the cuff advice was that A/UK advise buying an extended warranty. I said that I was quoted over £900 some years back. I was told that at a guess that’s not far wrong, when I asked if the warranty would have covered this, the response was “I’m not sure?”

A/UK are predictably saying that they’ll only view all cases individually. I have stated that that fact that there are a number of us with the same symptoms, there must be something to investigate. I have asked how many people have to come forward before either they or A/DE accept that something needs to be looked at. The answer was the info goes to A/DE and only the have the data.

So guys, can I have your details please? An invoice number and the relevant Audi Centre will do if you’d rather not give your personal details to someone you’ve never met!

[ QUOTE ]

I think that's standard generic dealer speak. Imho it's only Quattro models where they completely remove the rear axle *if* they need to take out the fuel tank. At FWD cars they need to take off the springs tho, so it needs to be disassembled up to a point.

[/ QUOTE ] Confidence inspiring ugh?

[ QUOTE ]

It's no surprise the fuel line replacement is expensive really. I'd go for the PW fix if they don't do warranty/courtesy.

[/ QUOTE ] Agreed

[ QUOTE ]

The siren you could do yourself I suppose... For pads & discs you could go aftermarket... (ask Botang).

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly what I have planned

[ QUOTE ]

What's with the wiring?

[/ QUOTE ] The brake wear indicator light comes on periodically. The last stealer I used replaced the wires basically. This stealer wants to repair them. I think the replacement was the same price, if so, which do you think I'll go for? UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

The brake wear indicator light comes on periodically. The last stealer I used replaced the wires basically. This stealer wants to repair them. I think the replacement was the same price, if so, which do you think I'll go for?

[/ QUOTE ]

What am I missing here? When dit he 'replace' them and what did he replace exactly? More to the point, why isn't it fixed by the replacement, and why should replacing/repairing it again fix it? I was told only an idiot keeps trying the same expecting a different result... (I don't mean you, I do mean these 'experts').

Take some brake cleaner, clean the whole shabang, and particularly pay attention to contacts (connectors) and wiring.

Imho it's usually one of the connectors or a scuffed wire (cue duct tape). Or they didn't place the wear indicator correctly.

222281-A46-0006.jpg

post-2215-137914280211_thumb.jpg

Mmm. You're right. There are the usual suspects regarding this sort of thing. The alarm siren sounds like its in the wheel arch. the wheel would be off there too. Plus when the stealers quote us book times, 0.10 of an hour is to go to the stores to collect the parts. If most of us do as I do and save lots of little jobs until 1 big job needs doing. Those lots of little jobs means that we get stiffed for another 40-50mins for going to the stores when they only went once FIREdevil.gif Dont forget that's @ nearly £90 per hour wink.gif Makes chucking a sache of screen wash in the boot and charging a tenner for it look a bit micky mouse ha.gif