The Wanderer...

Skanksy

Just back from weeks hol, lots of posts to catch up on.

Right, this is my gripe with my car. It wanders! What i mean is that it likes to follow cambers and uneven road surfaces. Thats not so bad at low speed but if you are doing three figures on M25 (kmh of course!) and you find a lovely dip in the road, the steering wheel tugs left or right. Brown underpants time!I also find the steering light for such a heavy car.It does handle

quite well for a big lump though. Is this a characteristic

of the car or what? What ya all reckon? confused.gif

Oh, that's too easy.

The A8's have problems with the tie rod ends going bad. When they go bad, the car "trams" it feels as if you are in a rut going down the highway when you're really not.

You need to replace the tie rod ends, sometimes they can freeze up, and they are a real PITA to get out, and in one case I needed to replace my whole tie rod which includes an inner and outer assembly because I damaged the inner when I tried to force the outer off for two hours!

Here's the outer assembly that needs to be replaced, do both sides:

tr4.JPG

Here's the whole assembly, it screws into the steering rack, has another joint on the inboard side:

tr3.JPG

And here's Paul creating another "Waterlooism" (that's my last name) by hacking up the boot and damaging the inner assembly.....

tr7.JPG

tr2.JPG

I've replaced my outer tie rod ends twice already, once at about 60K miles and again at about 100K miles, but I do track my car and run over aligators on the run off area!

jump.gif

I was hoping somebody would say something.....actually at Road America (a 4 mile road course! One lap = 4 fun miles!) they have run offs that you really don't want to use too much, they are huge aligators! Go into turn 5 too hot, you have to run them over on the right and your car vibrates like a son of a *itch!! Then you need new tie rod ends after a weekend! smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

RA7.JPG

RA8.JPG

RA2.JPG

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, that's too easy.

The A8's have problems with the tie rod ends going bad. When they go bad, the car "trams" it feels as if you are in a rut going down the highway when you're really not.

You need to replace the tie rod ends, sometimes they can freeze up, and they are a real PITA to get out, and in one case I needed to replace my whole tie rod which includes an inner and outer assembly because I damaged the inner when I tried to force the outer off for two hours!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have just had a recall check from Audi saying they will give my car a free inspection of the boots on the front bearing arms.Could this be the cause of the problem and is it worth

having done? Methinks it is a ploy to plunder my wallet after the £620 to replace receiver on satnav (this Tues).

Cynical twat me. dung.gif

(no need to quote the entire message) wink.gif

It might be. And I would most certainly do that. Why risk more damage and a hazardous situation?

And you could maybe walk in there with them to see what's up, or go elsewhere to have a look for yourself.

Don't take chances with this!

Paul, these are truly awesome pics! cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think the recall thing is a waste of time, it took them about 10 mins this afternoon, and I think at least one of my arms could do with being replaced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealers had our car for longer than planned, and the rattle seems to have gone from the r/h side front corner. Stealer says that there was nowt wrong with regard the inspection (recall). Could they have replaced summit and kept schtum? UHOH7.GIF It could be that if the car has been in the air for the other work, i'll take time to settle the suspension?