Tomtom GO

Domus

I had a Tom Tom Go on trial. nice and easy. The only problem was with having to take it with you once you were out of the car. And then you cannot use it for anything else. OK if you have a bag or briefcase.

I had no problems finding places with the Tom Tom Go. Good instructions, and you can tell it places of interset etc. Very configurable.

Our works might get them, as there is no licencing crap for different PDA's or when they go flat - or pass them onto the next new rep. 169144-ok.gif

I've got one (this week) and my only problem is its bulk.

The reflective screen gets mentioned a lot, but for ages now there have been 'screen protector' stick-on plastic films designed for Ipaqs etc. which give a matt finish while also being touchscreen-friendly for better control.

I've got a feeling the ones for Ipaq 1910/2210s can be used on the GO - if not, there'll be some that can be cut down.

I did buy some for my Ipaq 2210 - when I find the box of spares I'll put on the GO and let you know. It is quite reflective in its "out of the box" condition, I'll grant you - but the brightness/contrast etc. are otherwise great.

I have Tomtom on the Palm Tungsten T3. Already had the Palm so for only £200 I got the a wired GPS sensor and the software and all the UK maps and some major roads or Europe.

Great product and very easy to install and use. It has a few little issue but reading some GPS forums not one is perfect.

The best bit is that they have added POI to enable you to load all the speed camera sites and red light cameras. It alerts you when you approach the camera is a similar way to a road angel... for free! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

I got my TTGO last week and safely navigated my way to Spa and Nurburing and back.

No complaints whatsoever, great little package and easy to use.

The bundle came with a CD of europe and for this I needed to purchase an additional 256mb SD card.

For £400 it's a bargain.

Go buy one !

I've seen the package - it is nice. But I still prefer my Dell Axim X-5 with TomTom3 and CheckPoint on it. At least I can use the X-5 for surfing and e-mail via our wireless network as well as navigate in the car - and all for the same price as TTGO. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Was this just the major routes CD or do you get all of Europe in detail?

[/ QUOTE ]

It 'just' had the major routes, but I found it to be purrfect, it found us to both hotels, both tracks and all points between.

The only problem you may come across is if you wanted a street/road in a major city.

TTGO got me out of a pickle ok in Calais suicide.gif

• 3 weeks later...

No Problem.

Don't forget to upload the speed camera POI. I think it have saved me 3 points already on one of those should never be a 40 roads and thats not the reason I got it its just a great free extra. And there are so many other POI that you can get now its great, even all the Audi garages in the country are mapped out. The link to the site to get the info is in the thread above. 169144-ok.gif

Looks a nice piece of kit. I see Amazon are also selling it for £412.

My German dealer mate was over last week and had a navigation package on his Nokia mobile phone which was quite impressive. I've asked him for a link to where he got it and the cost as I don't think this is available in the UK yet. It had UK maps and English menus/voice on it.

Hi there,

I am writing you from Italy.

I have purchased a used TomTom Go from a private party, but I have only received the

device itself, with no cables, CD's, or SD

My question is: Can I use it as is for something, can I buy the maps, and what other

attachments do I need to it, Can it be activated, and if Yes, how exactly?

Is there any risk involved if the device was stolen for me to have some problems with the law if I use it?

Thank you, I am looking forward to a reply

P.S. Is there any possibility to have any maps of the Eastern Europe?

[ QUOTE ]

Looks a nice piece of kit. I see Amazon are also selling it for £412.

My German dealer mate was over last week and had a navigation package on his Nokia mobile phone which was quite impressive. I've asked him for a link to where he got it and the cost as I don't think this is available in the UK yet. It had UK maps and English menus/voice on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get TomTom for mobiles (series 60 Symbian) now, incl. in the UK. It works with the same Bluetooth GPS receivers (including TomTom's own) that the Navigator for Pocket PC works with.

There are alternative products by other manufacturers but the names escape me.

I run TomTom on my SPV M1000 (Orange's XDA ii) with bluetooth and on my 3+ year old Dell Axim PDA and I've noticed that the newer PDA is much faster. By the time Doris on the Dell has said "800 yards to the exit" you've passed the 300 yard board, but the XDA is pretty well spot on.

Maybe the Symbian version is cut down in some way?