Driver caught doingf 145mph!

Ari

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

I took my mate out the other night and he asked why I drove so much slower these days. My response: "cuz you're a dad!".

I don't mind killing myself so much, but not going to risk others...especially those with dependants.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you didn't mind risking his life before he became a dad? confused.gif

And what about everyone else on the road, if you are prepared to risk crashing prior to him becoming a dad, how do you know whether whoever you might hit is a dad or not? smashfreakB.gif

Surely it is encumbant on all of us to drive in a manner we consider safe (even if it is on occasion above posted speed limits) regardless of our passengers as we share the road with other road users? crazy.gif

But if he feels that he can break the speed limit safely, how is his mate being a dad relevent to that?

He's talking about not being prepared to "risk" his mate cos he's a dad, so surely thats to do with risk of crashing not risk of being stopped for speeding, getting caught for speeding is irrelevent for the passenger...

I assume it is psychological (sp) in that best mate, fast car, no risk but best mate who is suddenly a Dad becomes a risk, so that while driving faster was appropriate it no longer seems appropriate, I figured he meant he drives like a sunday afternoon grandad now and just puts every other road users life at risk by driving too slow ????????

I drive slower and safer when i have passengers in my car too. Doesn't mean i drive like a nut the rest of the time. It's weird but I do it. Suppose if i crash I don't want to be responsible for hurting anyone else but me. Again a contradiction as if i hit another car I may hurt the driver. confused.gif

It's all bollocks and subjective...

I drive according to the conditions and how I am feeling at the time.. If I comming down the M5 at 6am with no cars in sight then 130mph is no big problem.. i'm happy to sit at that speed for hour after hour.

If i'm in no hurry and there is something funny on the radio then i am also happy to drive at 80mph on the same stretch.

We are all human and now and again we like a buzz...

I DO drive too fast, most of the time (apart from round town). I like to get places and don't particularly like wasting time being stuck in my car. I've driven for almost 2 decades like that.. and yes.. one day I might come unstuck.. but so far I have been lucky.

As for killing other people.. how can you guys be serious?.. confused.gif. Do you think people have accidents on purpose?.. trying to kill the 'dad' in the other car??? If it happens then you have to live with the consequences. Imagine life with some-one elses death on your hands.. It must happen to lots of people.

Speed is not a killer.. you do not die when taking off in a plane. And this governments PR bollocks of speed kills is total ****. Crap driving kills.

Dave

Think I need to clarify here...

We were driving around an empty bend on an empty sliproad which both me and "dad" would happily have gone around at a ton had we been on our own. He commented how I wasn't going around it like I used to. I explained it was because he was a dad and I didn't want to be held responsible for making his children fatherless. He actually said he didn't mind and that he trusted me as he knew how safe a driver I was at all times. I explained that whilst HE might know that, his kids didn't and it would be ME, not him, who had to explain in the event of an accident.

Whilst I knew the car and driver were both good for 100mph on that bend the previous time I'd done it, I felt much happier doing it at 50mph with him on board. This being 20mph below the actually speed limit but 10mph above the posted recommended speed..eg. "Bend - 40mph".

Whilst I generally drive as fast as I feel the conditions allow, there are always circustances beyond the drivers control e.g. mechanical defect, tyre blowout etc. I'm fully aware having been in a car that rolled 5times after a high speed blow out.

I'm prepared to take the gamble and so is dad, but his kids just might not have been happy with me for taking that gamble should any problem have occured.

Hope that explains it...

WOW! This is a truly interesting post, and as such has received some very passionate responses.

I've been caught speeding once, Sunday night 9pm, bone dry, no-one else on the road, long 1/2 mile stretch with plenty of lighting. The road had been a 40MPH limit up until 2-3 weeks prior, and I was coming down at 45mph. Instant 3 points, and a fine. Copper had nothing better to do that night fekr.gif

I too drive above the limit sometimes, heck look at the range of cars owned by the members of this forum, and I'm sure that most of us have at some time or another shot down the motorway, or a long stretch of road, at what others may call 'maniacal' speeds!!!

I regularly attend the Windsor meet, and will attend the MK meet regularly, and for me it's a fair old trek to each of them. It took me almost 3 hours to get to MK last time I went, and yet only took 1 hour 40 mins to get back. I was travelling at 11.30 pm, down the M1, M25, M4 with nothing else on the road at the time. Hey, I even had a Lotus Carlton come past me at one point and I was doing 120!! Was this dangerous driving? I didn't think so. I was driving within my ability, the conditions, and of course the car's limits. If I'd have been pulled over though, I'm sure that I would have been treated in much the same way as our 145MPH driver who is the subject of this thread.

Yes I agree that speed limits are there to protect people, but I also believe that all 'out of town' speeding offences should have other circumstances taken into account, this would mean a lot less hassle for all involved: The police don't want to have to pull everyone for speeding surely? The driver could even be given a drive-by warning NONO3.GIF this would mean less clogging up, of our already overpushed judicial systems.

Let's hope that one day the Uk will catch up with the technology that we now drive, and increase speed limits in areas where it's safe to do so, instead of decreasing them everywhere, and putting up more cash-cams in places where they really aren't necessary. 169144-ok.gif

Intresting to see Spence make this comment grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

145 mph is still excessive no mater where its done though..

[/ QUOTE ]

I am positive I have said in several front seats of his at 140mph smirk.gif

As for the suitability of speed, i agree with the post above, if look at how good SOME of our motorways now are, sustained high speeds are perfectly safe (assuming the conditions are safe)

Best example I can think of is the M74 between Carlisle and Glasgow - open smooth and as quick as you want it to be. (if you are in a proper quick car of course 169144-ok.gif)

Mind you, whenever I drive down to the folks in London I am quite shocked at the speeds a lot of people do drive at during the day in heavy traffic, particularly on the M40 grin.gif

Mind you - If you can't beat them - join them.

Having recently overtaken a Police car at 150ish speed is great, before you shoot me it was on the autobhan tongue.gif

Lets move the topic on slightly then what is an appropriate punishment for the chap doing 145?

Assuming it was in good conditions, which none of us know at the moment, I reckon 6 points and a £250 fine.

In reply to the bit about etting a flat tyre at that speed, I witnessed this very situation on a 1991 Volkswagen Passat, he overtook us and we were doing 140, within 5 miles he had pulled onto the hard shoulder with a flat rear tyre. He didnt spin off, he didnt struggle to remain in control he calmly moved accross and slowed down gradually.

consider this. remove speed limits out of all built up areas. every driver must there fore be more aware and more responsible under all driving conditions and scenarios. accidents would reduce as you would have to take more care and judge speeds more accurately. lane hogs with the "i'm doing 10 over the limit so you shouldn't want to pass me" attitude,should be booked. air bags removed from steering wheels and replaced with spikes(this would make you think twice). and no insurance reductions for no claims , just for things like also holding a bike licence, lorry licence advanced driving courses etc.

whilst all these things are extreme it would free up congestion. then all you need are speed cameras in all built up areas( thats happening already).

yes i do have a bee in my bonnet(helmet) as i am also a biker. most close calls for me have come from idiots on phones, playing with stereos,heater controls etc.

bottom line is speed doesn't and never has killed.

an error in judgement is responsible for EVERY accident. speed just makes the resulting consequences much worse.

for the record i have done and will probably again travel at speeds in excess of 170mph but it didn't kill me.

jesus. feel better for that. bet this provokes some response.

6 points and a fine, come on guys don't kid yourselves . Minimun 2 or 3 years ban 4 figure fine if IF he doesn't get a custodial.

Well known fact locally ,get caught on the M4 and end up in Newbury Court , over 90mph you are very likely to get 28 day ban and hefty fine.

Crap driving kills, it is far to easy to get a licence, it should be very much tougher, you should have to resit every five years and you should have to pay more for your licence ( mine cost £5 for about 40 years !!!!!!! )

[ QUOTE ]

6 points and a fine, come on guys don't kid yourselves . Minimun 2 or 3 years ban 4 figure fine if IF he doesn't get a custodial.

Well known fact locally ,get caught on the M4 and end up in Newbury Court , over 90mph you are very likely to get 28 day ban and hefty fine.

Crap driving kills, it is far to easy to get a licence, it should be very much tougher, you should have to resit every five years and you should have to pay more for your licence ( mine cost £5 for about 40 years !!!!!!! )

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris I didnt mean what will he get, I meant what in your opinion is an appropriate punishment. I personally dont think he should get an automatic ban let alone prison.

I'll revise my judgement, 6 points & £500 fine.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris I didnt mean what will he get, I meant what in your opinion is an appropriate punishment. I personally dont think he should get an automatic ban let alone prison.

I'll revise my judgement, 6 points & £500 fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fine is income related.

When I got done a while back for 89 in a 50 I got 6 Points and a considerable fine - Mutiples of weekly salary. Oddly they use your weekly salary, not your monthly salary to work it out.

But I did have mitigating circs and was very sorry