New Yoik!

Mollox

Looking at doing 3 nights in NY in the first week of feb...

Flights are looking reasonable from £220 so that's sorted.

Just wondered if anyone had any recommendations on hotels in Manhattan.

Pricewise its hard to call - lets just say that it needs to be nice but that common sense dictates we should spend our money outside of the hotel rather than in it.

I'm loathe to set a per night rate as I'd rather find the discount first and then work out how much to pay.

Does anyone know of any good sites (beyond the normal lastminute/expedia/opodo types) for hotel discounts in NY?

Ideally something like www.bhrc.co.uk but for NY

I thank you smile.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough I have just bid for some New York flights early Feb! Already got a trip Singapore/Sydney (my usual monthly preference) on the 7th but have bid for some JFK flights on the 2nd, too early for your trip I guess.

As for hotels, I'd make sure you were within a block or two of a subway station, somewhere south of Central Park and north of Canal Street then you are best placed to walk to most of the city.

Don't be fooled into getting a room that offers the biggest discount, you never know whether the original rack rates were genuine or not. Expect to pay $150 a night for something half decent. And take ear plugs, it is the city that never sleeps.

Normally I don't do tacky touristy stuff, but I thought the Grayline Sightseeing Tour was very good. The 48 hour $49 ticket is good value and despite visiting New York for over 20 years, I learned loads as the bus tour guides really know their city rather than read from a script.

Regarding it being the city that never sleeps and the need to take ear plugs.

I'm a bit mystified by that comment because New York is the city I have visited most in my lifetime. Twice in 2004, once in 2003, and prior to that a total of 11 times.

On most occasions we have stayed in 4* or 5* accomodation (perhaps that makes a difference but I sincerely doubt it and I don't for one minute think that Colin has stayed in some of the less desireable parts of the City) but they have always been amongst the hub of activity in the City.

Not once have myself, my wife, or the children been woken or had our sleep disturbed - and the wife and our 13 year old are extremely light sleepers.

Post 9/11 I think the City has become a different place anyway. The culture and outlook of New Yorkers seems to have changed, and who could blame them. I've never found it a place that was unfriendly as such but there is certainly a more welcoming air in general.

Mollox, if you have never been before I think you'll have a great time. The reason we have been so many times is because it is such a diverse City and we've never ran out of things to do. We probably spent the first few years doing all the "tacky touristy stuff" that Colin referred to, but even then I don't think they were tacky and you have to do them anyway in my opinion. Since then our visits have comprised more shopping and outer area vists. The shortest and most common duration of our trip is the 3 day one - and it's nearly always in November. It doesn't really serve as a Christmas shopping trip now (because the planes couldn't carry all that my wife wants to buy...) but moreso annual experience that everyone looks forward to. The longest has been 10 days and I can honestly say we were never short of things to do (bearing in mind we had been 6 times prior to that visit it is quite an achievement as our eldest was at a very easily bored phase of her life at that time!).

Anyway, getting back to the main reason of the post, the city in which I have experienced most problems sleeping on a night was London, by far.

Always stay at the Algonquin Hotel, which is part of the Destination Hotel Group. Lovely traditional HY Hotel just off Time Square and one block from 5th (59 West 44th Street) and has an excellent Diner next door for breakfast. Very well regarded Jazz Club in ther Bar. Cannot recommend it highlty enough...you'll pay C.$200-$300 for any decent Hotel in Manhatten...

www.algonquinhotel.com for direct reservations. 169144-ok.gif TP.

Go on the dates you chose with BA and the fare looks like £240. You'd spend £810 with Virgin, so the go it alone option with BA would allow you to spend £100 a night on a hotel, so the package itself is not outstanding. If it includes airport transfers it might be worth it as JFK is a long way from the city. It is easier to get into Manhattan from Newark (EWR).

The hosties on VS are certainly better looking that the BA ones but BA operate about twice the number of daily flights to New York so you'd have a bit more choice of timings.

Thing is Colin, thats an ebookers rate I quoted. I can split it out (BA was £214 last week damnit) and get the virgin flight for £220 I think. My preference is for BA or another Oneworld airline as that way I can rack up some points at least and I think there's a little more legroom than Virgin. I'm also working that day so the earliest I can fly is 8pm (what IS the transatlantic minimum checkin these days?) The problem comes in trying to secure the deal on the Hotel alone. I had looked at doing it separately but I wasn't quite winning once the hotels quoted for tax this and tax that. thats the thing - you can't always be sure of the final rate til you get there with online quoting.

VS flight is OB Newark, IB JFK so at least I get to see 2 airports (relevant to work zzzzz lol)

One of the partners in my firm has booked to go to new york on the 3rd of Feb and it's his first trip as well 169144-ok.gif

Anyway, he's booked to stay here ......

Hilton Embassy Suites

Trip Advisor Reviews

Now according to the reservations page you can get the room for about £88 per night so including flights thats £350pp for the weekend. I actually recommended the hotel to him after reading comments on other forums from people who have stayed there. It's not exactly central but it does have great views and much larger rooms than standard for new york, plus you get an hours free drinking a night 169144-ok.gif

When I went last year we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria, and I was actually a little disappointed to be honest, it seem to be trading on it's name so to speak and could do with a refurbishment.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Blimey, that Hilton Suites is only $150 a night. Is it a hotel or more self-catering-style?

Sorry for the dumb Qs, I should really RTFM, but work is kicking off smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It is closer to a hotel Mollox, there are no kitchen facilites in the rooms, it just doesn't have all the services of a hotel. For example there's no room service, dry cleaning service etc. But the complex does have 5 resturants, and I see breakfast is also included in the price. But you want to be eating out at night in New York anyway 169144-ok.gif.

The main advantage is that you're getting much larger rooms for the money, in effect you actually get two rooms a lounge and then a bedroom, here's the expendia room details....

One king or two double beds in a two-room suite, minimum 450 square feet, with Hudson River or city view. Sofa bed in living room. Minibar, designer toiletries, two phones, and two 27" TVs. Dial-up, television, high-speed, and wireless Internet access (surcharge for all). Other amenities: iron and ironing board, in-room safe, plush terry robes.

I think the hudson river view rooms are about $10 more, mind you at this time of year you can probably get them for free, as it's relatively quiet time for them.

beerchug.gif

Well it is "the city that never sleeps" you know, so finding food shouldn't be a problem tongue.gif !

Oh and in regards to legroom in economy, I'm 6'1 and the legroom isn't great (BA) but coming back, due the frequency of the flights which seemed to be one every hour, economy is much quieter and if you're lucky you can probably secure an entire row to yourselves. Just ask at checkin if it's possible, or try and wangle an upgrade. They do have something called economy plus which looked nice but I didn't fancy the £200 extra each way EEK2.GIF

Hmm, Hilton Embassy Suites (although interesting) were a no-no as they were right by Ground Zero according to Liz. So the deal is done, as above (Westin) but with American Airlines (34in of economy legroom oooooh) for £393 pp (expedia) which I think is pretty good.

Colin, I was all for splitting the booking but I just couldn't find a suitable site for hotel deals. Contacting a number wasn't really feasible either as I have little time at the moment.

In all I'm happy and looking forward to it. Now I just have to work out how many things I can cram into 3 whole days (vs what Liz wants to do wink.gif )

Any idea how much a limo from JFK to manhattan would cost? sekret.gif

I get this feeling that New York will be really cheap compared to London. I'm in for a shock I fear.

In the real world, how does it compare to london in terms of prices?

ta for all the advice smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Any idea how much a limo from JFK to manhattan would cost? sekret.gif

I get this feeling that New York will be really cheap compared to London. I'm in for a shock I fear.

In the real world, how does it compare to london in terms of prices?

ta for all the advice smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you've got a good deal there Mollox and the hotel looks very nice.

The Limo is about $180-$220 from memory compared to about $45 for a cab, it is an experience but something I think you'll only do once. It's good that you're arriving at night, as the views when you drive into the city over the bridge are superb notworthy.gif I'm not sure if he took us the normal way into the city or whether it was the "tourist" route but it was certainly good.

As colin said before, the greyline bus tour is a great thing to do on your first day, basically you can buy tickets in your hotel and then just jump on the bus at certain points and it gives you a good tour of manhattan, it takes about an hour and a half to do the whole tour but you can just jump off whenever you come across something that interests you and then jump on the next one that comes around.

As for prices obviously clothing is a lot cheaper, eating out as usual depends on where you eat, but generally speaking it did seem cheaper than London and the exchange rate is even better now.

Oh and if you like your steaks than try here.......

Bull & Bear

and again

Absolutely the best and biggest steak I've ever eaten, couldn't even manage to finish the "freedom fries" (they didn't like the French much at the time yelrotflmao.gif). You'll have to book if it's a saturday night though, it was absolutely heaving when we went.

You'll both have a great time, only problem now is that you've started to get me hooked on the idea of going again slap.gif

beerchug.gif

That's just like being in the back of a rover 75 wink.gif, if you want to do it properly you need a stretched one 169144-ok.gif. We booked ours through the hotel as most of them have their own cars and it seemed slightly cheaper as well. Joking aside the lincoln towncar will actually be more comfortable than the yellow cabs though, as the trip into the city does take up to an hour and those yellow cabs are pretty cramped in the back if you're over six foot, so a towncar is probably the way to go if you don't fancy the expense of a stretch.

Oh and you bring up a good point, avoid the town car drivers who tout for fares at the airport and around the city, rip off merchants. Stick to the yellow cabs when out and about 169144-ok.gif

Oh and take plenty of lower denomination bills for tipping, you'll be doing plenty of that..........