New Yoik!

Mollox

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... New York heart.gif

You're all right, of course I owe you some feedback...

Thanks for the hounding Colin tongue.gif but Dave I bet it was you that kept us stacked and going round in circles on the way home fekr.gif

Hmm where to start - how about this? smile.gif

344917-ny1.jpg

American Airlines

344918-aa.jpg

Yep, 34 inches of legroom in economy - couldn't really argue with that and at 6' 2" I have to say I was as comfortable as I was ever going to be in economy. Nothing wrong with the plane either - 777, a screen for every seat etc. My lasting memory of American though was just how damn functional both the plane and the staff were. Everything and everyone worked, but only as much as they had to. There was none of the romance of flying that you get with BA or Virgin, and I actually missed it. And we got a croissant instead of a fry-up on the way back into LHR. Unforgivable! Still, I slept most of the way there and back grin.gif

The Westin Times Square

We were impressed with the hotel and very happy throughout our stay. The rooms were of excellent quality, just as you see in the pictures and the 'Heavenly Bed' they advertise was all that and more. Pillows, duvets and downs galore and just so bloody big and comfortable heart.gif The 'Heavenly Bath' was a bit shallow but the 2 head shower was great. You get a big TV, all mod cons in the room and the hotel itself had everything you could need (except a pool). Its a huge hotel though, and very impersonal as a result. Not an issue for us, we liked being cocooned in the room when we were there. Whenever you needed them, the staff were very very good. No problems either. Its right in Times Square too so we couldn't really have asked for more. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Room was just like this, except with one huge bed

nyDoubleRoomLrg.jpg

So all in all, flights and accomodation for two at £780 I thought was a bargain and it all lived up to the expectation 169144-ok.gif

The Weather

Having seen how it was -15 about 10 days before we were due to fly I set about panic-shopping for a massive, thick arctic coat. As the days went by and the temperature picked up to 4 or 5C I finally decided I didn't need eskimo attire. So it was a bit of a shock touching down into a sea of snow at JFK. That was the first 'just like the movies' NY experience. That was proper amounts of snow. The way it turned out, it couldn't have been better. I fancied a bit of snow so the night we arrived there was snow piled up absolutely everywhere and it was still snowing slightly. Over the next 3+ days it slowly melted and the temperature slowly climbed each day. NY in Feb - I suppose we were lucky but the weather was fine.

NYC - let's have it!

Having never been before, I was excited. Stepping out of Terminal 8 at JFK ( dung.gif hole, btw) (and having my first smoke in hours!) I got my first taste of NY. It happened to be a line of yellow cabs and the NYPD telling off someone for parking in front of the airport. Of course, in London, the airport police would walk up and ask you to move on - but in NY... wink.gif

..the police are parked in your typical "Home Alone/A-Team van" and elect to drive 2 metres up alongside the offending vehicle before turning on about 10 sets of red and white lights, then they let off some godawful klaxon at him and if that wasn't enough they got on the loudspeaker and started screaming "YOU CANNOT PARK THERE! MOVE YOUR VEHICLE NOW!!! MOVE!!! NOW!!"

It was great. I loved NY already. Once I'd stopped laughing, we jumped into a cab (Flat rate to Manhattan of $45 +tolls of $3 or 4 and plus bloody tips...) "Yo homey, Times Square if you would" wink.gif

New York is unique in being the best-known city in the world. I'd never been there, yet (obviously thanks to Hollywood) so many parts were so familiar. As a result, we just got stuck in from the off. But everything really is different to London. Yep, there it was, steam blowing out of the roads, every building stealing a piece of the sky, not a tree to be seen (except on Trump Towers) NYPD patrol cars and 'home alone' vans all over and you can't escape the sound of V8 wherever you go 169144-ok.gif

We walked a lot; I hate walking but I loved walking in NY. There's so much to see and take in I wouldn't have wanted to have driven. There's just so many contrasts crammed into Manhattan. Truly fascinating. I wondered whether it would have that gritty look in places like the films, and true to form, Manhattan is dotted with classic movie scenes

344919-hood.jpg

344920-hood2.jpg

Its funny as well because we laugh at the Americans for not having any history but walk through Manhattan and every building wants to tell you a story. Stare at one long enough and you start to see the men whose legacies are left behind in stone and steel. Some of the buildings, Grand Central Station especially, I found quite mesmerising.

Ground Zero

Overwhelming. Look at it one way and its just one big construction site. Look at it any other way and its too much to comprehend. I could have stood there with my thoughts all day. They say this cross was found like this...

344921-groundzero.jpg

The Freedom Tower has already risen above the surrounding Ground Zero buildings.

Even more powerful was this piece of flight #11 on display at the Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum. I couldn't believe I was looking at a piece of one of the planes that started it all, not to mention that someone was probably sat at that window. Say what you will about Americans but I was again moved by what I saw.

344929-flight11.jpg

I'd always wanted to go to Intrepid - well, cos I like that sort of thing. Hard to believe I touched something which 40 years ago was about the most secret thing on earth:

344925-a12.jpg

Sightswise, I suppose we did all the 'usual' stuff. Hard not to do anything other than scratch at the surface of what is such a mesmerising city, but we got our bearings and next time we'll dive straight in.

mmmm...Food

Here's the most ironic thing. I LOVE food. I can eat a fair deal but weirdly, we didn't have one proper evening meal. As much as I'd looked forward to going crazy and even eating that 48oz steak I talked about, it just didn't happen. I don't know if it was jet lag or all the walking but we were so tired in the evenings we were knackered and not even hungry. I suspect the breakfasts had something to do with it heart.gif

What a great place for breakfasts. The first day we just wanted a typical American breakfast so we walked south from Times Square til we found what we envisaged. Turned out to be the Lyric Diner in Gramercy, nothing fancy at all but we had a great honest breakfast there. Eggs Benedict for Liz, Pancakes, sausage and egg for me...$14. Fourteen! Peanuts for a great brekky smile.gif

Day 2 and the Rough Guide pointed me to The Market Diner (43rd and 11th in Hells Kitchen) which was even better and looked every bit the American Diner you'd imagine. Same again, a couple of (capu)'cinos' and $20. Bargain!

On our last day we found the Brooklyn Diner heart.gif off Broadway, up near Central Park. Go there! Its labelled "the finer diner" and the food is a fair few rungs above the normal diner food and so are the prices. A top breakfast for 2 at $45 - ok so it was twice the going rate but it was good. Very good. This is the "Mixed Marriage of Irving and Gina" that I had. mmm...mmm...mmmm!

344928-Image%28168%29.jpg

The amazing thing about all these breakfasts was just how light they were. Walk out of a cafe here carrying a fry up and you can barely move. The breakfasts we had were of a much higher quality and cooked with thought. I LOVE NY breakfasts! smile.gif

Tipping!

I have to say, I tried to do my homework before we went but feck me the whole tipping thing really got on my nerves the whole way through. I found the whole culture of this overbearing need to tip people overwhelming to the point that it was hindering and worrying me most of the time. Do we tip? How much should we tip? When do we tip? Are we tipping enough?

It wasn't the money (we actually found NY to be quite cheap) I think I just have issues with the whole thing. Firstly there's a certain colonial master/servant thing going on (especially at the hotel) which I dont' like. Secondly, I resent the fact that its expected everywhere so that paying for your goods once isn't enough. And then wait a minute - I don't get 15% for what I do, not even when I deliver £100ks of added value. If I did, I'd be getting cheques for tens of k's every other day. You don't expect Colin to pass round his hat after every successful landing do you? If you bankers could, you'd be retired in a month. Yet you get scowled at for not leaving someone a few dollars when you've paid for your drink/cab ride/room service/whatever handsomeley already.

Anyway, ideological issues aside, I did my best...

I think I might have offended a few people though! I gave the bellhop $3 for 3 bags he brought up for example(mistakenly thinking Colin had said tip them $1 per bag instead of $2. I think he was offended. Oh well. Cabbies got 15-20% and waitresses got 20 odd % for food. Thing is, none of them seemed that grateful and the bit that bothered me was I don't think I actually received much in the way of 'service' in return for my greenbacks.

Perhaps the funniest tipping episode was when I ordered room service. Having already read "a $4.00 delivery charge and 18% gratuity will be added to your bill" I ordered and half-hoped that would be considered enough. Then I thought about it some more and realised I'd have to fork out EVEN MORE just to eat my bloody food. Cue me realising I didn't have anything smaller than a $20 bill and having to get dressed, go outside and buy some bloody chewing gum just to get some change. Fecking room service! Made me laugh when I saw the sign that said "for propmpt removal of this trolley, just dial 0". Yeah right, matey. I'm not paying AGAIN!! yelrotflmao.gif The trolley got left in the hall much to the chagrin of the cleaner who couldn't maneouvre her own cart round it in the morning but I'd beaten the system!! grin.gif

The bellhops had the last laugh when we checked out though. We left our bags in the hotel for a few hours on the last day and I gave the bellboy $2 for taking them and bringing a ticket to me. (These feckers are raking it in!). Called back to pick them up, out they came, he asked if I wanted a cab (cabs were always driving by the hotel, non-stop) for a flat rate so I said yes and gave him $5 thinking he'd be taking the bags too. Silly me, they pulled a fast one on me. He called his chum over to take the bags all of 4m out of the door and to the car so I ended up feeling like I had to tip him too. Feckers!

Still, they got us a Lincoln Town Car instead of a Yellow. They're actually pretty crap and ride terribly I thought but I liked the whole 'limo' feeling nonetheless. Very NY! $55 flat rate, $10 tip, smile you ungrateful fecker!

Sorry if this turned into a bit of a blog entry - you've probably all been before but for those that haven't - book it now! 169144-ok.gif

(well, you did ask for a review!)

Thanks, a comprehensive review well worth the wait!

Just look at tipping as a transparent cost, ie your buying the food at one price then paying for it to be brought to your table for the tip. I guess I have got so used to it, I just do it. Yes, I still tip $1 a bag in the US, but I guess when we check out of the hotel, there are almost 20 of us so the guy gets $20 for just wheeling the trolley to the bus!

Just sitting here, editing my terrible 3am spelling when AHA - what's this?

[ QUOTE ]

Just look at tipping as a transparent cost, ie <font color="red"> your </font> buying the food at one price then paying for it to be brought to your table for the tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've all been waiting for that one Colin! grin.gif

I can see it that way Colin. Its just the way its expected that gets me. In London, I enjoy my perceived right to choose whether I leave a tip or not. To me, it really reflects my satisfaction with the food and/or service and I enjoy leaving what I believe to be very generous tips on the occasions when I have been impressed. Its my little contribution towards keeping service in check for the rest of the world and for my next visit and of course, above all, its a gesture of thanks. In NY, crap service or good service, you're a "schmuck" if you don't leave enough of a tip...

Case in point: The bar at JFK: we're wiling away the time and having a couple of beers. I go to the bar, "tip apprehension mode fully activated" and notice the American chap in front of my signing a bill for $18 and adding $1. There's my guide I thought. My bill comes to $14, the bargirl hands me my change and walks off so I leave a dollar on the bar. As it happened, we were sat facing the bar so I could see my dollar. A couple of minutes later and it was still there, 5 mins, still there. She even started serving around it and when the time came for Round 2, Liz went and left a dollar in the same way. So 15 mins later, there's 2 dollars sat at the bar and I'm getting increasingly furious. Someone else leaves a dollar and then a chap settles a larger bill and leaves a little pile of dollars. Bar girl has those away within a minute and it's eventually over 20 mins before she collects the other three dollar bills.

Liz had to stop me from having a word. Excuse me but was this bar person too good for our tip? I found that offensive, I couldn't help it. Hell, I'd work behind the bar for a minimum wage plus 50p for every beer I pulled! mad.gif

I'm allowed to slip the odd mistake in, especially at 3am.

You don't normally go to the bar to get drinks in the US if there are waitresses working the tables. You don't say if that's the case though. In any event, I've experienced what you have often, and it seems that they don't collect up their tips until you've finished. OK for the other guy settling his bill, but if you were still drinking, they usually leave it on the counter.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

A ready reckoner is to look at the bill and double the tax as NY has 7.5% tax so you can immediately see how much to tip efectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

7.5%? A lot of Americans seem to work on 15% to 20% tips these days. It's getting crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one Mollox great review, I've got the money for the flights, hotel, taxis, food. Now I'm starting to save up for the tips crazy.gif

Great review mate, reminds me of my trip in december. Dying to go back there but think i should visit a few other places first.

And I too found ground zero a moving experience, and the window frame on intrepid was very strange when I look at them each day at work....

Hmm, I'd say intrepid is 15 mins east (walking) from Times Square max. Also, if you walk along 43rd street you'll pass the Market Diner on the way (and should definitely stop in).

True, you're walking through Hell's Kitchen (Clinton) but its not as bad anymore I don't think.

Note - I didn't say go there at night! wink.gif