Have to agree with thor2ann - Was looking at a new A3 for the Mrs on Sunday and compared my Symphony with Bose on same CD's side by side to a standard A3 system and very noticable (I am not a big audio nut but very different)I do find BOSE a bit bassy for me but this can be taliored to suit.

For the money involved in retrofitting the Bose you would be mad.

I nearly didn't buy my car as it had Bose in it, I have had it before in the S-Line, and it is just too sharp sounding.

You could add a £100 2 channel amp and a pair of £150 componenet speakers to your car and it would absolutely destroy the Bose set up. Leave the existing rear set up as it is for some rear fill.

I prefer to have all the "meat" of the stereo in the back and the front-fill, I guess it's just personal choice. Bose IS much better than the standard fit Audi stereo, but the standard fit Audi stereo is pretty rubbish so it doesn't take much.

I was really chuffed with Bose in my Audi A4 ('54) until I heard my wife's Logic 7 stereo in her BMW. Then I changed me car to a Volvo XC90 with the _standard_ stereo and it blows the Audi/Bose away.

So, yes the Bose is better than the standard Audi, but it's not a "wow" stereo. It doesn't distort because it's not very loud, and lacks "oomph" (technical term) wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The plot thickens. It is the distortion aspect that I am interested in. It appears that the output doesn't cope with the sub. I notice distotion on really Bassy tracks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto what tom says. BOSE is fine if you've only experienced manufacturer-fit systems. In that case its pretty nice actually. Relatively.

I object to the costs Audi charge for Bose upgrades and I will always go for my own choice of head unit, amps and speakers all discreetly installed. The difference in sound (depth, clarity and punch not to mention volume without distortion) is immeasurable.

No warranty issues whatsoever. Have a look in my gallery here

I've had this exact setup on my last 2 cars from new (car is filled with kit) and no one has ever said anything to me about hifi and warranties 169144-ok.gif

I really don't think my head unit looks out of place

I don't think the head unit needs changing either, the Symphony and the RNS-E are both nice sounding pre amps, fairly smooth with no exaggeration in any of the frequencies, so just take the line level out of the front and use a decent amp and speakers keeping the car looking stock.

I tried a McIntosh Head unit against the Symphony and was amazed how little difference there was, the car had bose, if it was using the amp in the head units it would have been a different case altogether though.

Have to admit I think my ears really are not that choosy! Which is kind of lucky for my wallet as if they were!!

By the way Gizze I get the RNS-E fitted Saturday after all sorts of grief with ebay ones. Took the plunge and got satnavsystems on the case.

thing is good headunit £300 cd mp3/dvd changer another 200, £180 on a set of font speakers ( keep the standard ones in the rear ) £300 on a decent amp... and that will blow anything else away ! ive also replaced my factory standard 6" sub with a decent one , and the sound quality is better than any home system i have heard ( and i have lynn speakers ) the clarity is lovely,

[ QUOTE ]

Have to admit I think my ears really are not that choosy! Which is kind of lucky for my wallet as if they were!!

By the way Gizze I get the RNS-E fitted Saturday after all sorts of grief with ebay ones. Took the plunge and got satnavsystems on the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to re-wire the one fitted by satnavsystems for rjgreen, no BOSE pin or K-line fitted, so it didn't sound right and we couldn't recode it. Make sure they do a good job for you. Also the phone kit they fitted didn't work, no sound from the speakers, bad connections.

Craig

Craigyb - Thanks for the warning on this, bit worried now as I have no idea what Kline is ?? I guess I should be able to hear if BOSE is not working (even with my bland ears).I have no phone so that should be ok.

Any tips on what to check or specify would be great thanks.

Byron 169144-ok.gif

K-line is the diag line which allows you to reprogram the RNS-E to suit your car after installation. I was amazed that this was missing. The BOSE pin is a wire to ground that tells you RNS-E that it is connected to a BOSE system. Can't tell you if it sounded better afterwards, as it wasn't my car and I didn't really hear it before hand.

Craig