[Audi A3/S3] Severe S3 Cambelt problem....help!!!! 115k or 80k

uk_spek

got her back today, running well, but need to keep it under 3000revs for the time being....pissing me off as this is just getting into the fun band, before I have to change...doh!

Now the fun begins with Audi GB and warranty company and me....I feel a court case coming on....

Spill the beans then....what's the current situation, have you had to pay up front or has the dealer stumped up for you? How much was replaced in the end?...i presume you had a new head etc = £X000s to get her back up and running? keep us informed , as i'[m sure many more will go through this story in the future!

Evo

Currently running vehicle in....200 miles to go before I can start using a bit of the power band again (grrrrrrr!!)

Just got the bill for the work....goes as follows....New valves (20 of!), gaskets etc, new water pump, cambelt kit with new tensioners, poo load of hours, oil change and filter...wait for it.....£1475.26p...

Audi saying that as I got it done not through them, not interested in me at all....I'm sure Mr Justice will have somthing else to say......he he he....

Seems a little bit pricey mate. I paid £996 for same work with having the head crack tested and skimmed too! Did the guy lap your valves? Are you are going back for an oil service after 1k? It was recommended to me that after cam belt change it is always best to change the oil after 1k miles. Good luck mate 169144-ok.gif Nearly time for foot down again FIREdevil.gif

250 miles in now....only 250 to go....Yeah, back for check over in about 500 miles. Not to sure what work carried out, but I know there was extensive damage and the whole lot had to be replaced along with water pump as well....will check invoice when I get it....hopefully I should'nt have to pay it all anyways.....hehe..

Good luck with Audi 169144-ok.gif

Why I asked about the lapping was because when I went back to have the 1k oil change after the cambelt replacement, I commented on how it felt smoother. What he said was when putting the valves back in they make sure they are all nice and flush which gives a smoother air flow and smoother performance. Apparently, car manufacturers don't do this anymore as the tollerances are acceptable with the CNC machining. That said, I have noticed quite a difference when I got the car back SMOKE6.GIF.

Happy S3ing beerchug.gif

Right....next instalment.

Have now given up trying to talk to Audi, and got back in contact with the independant supplying dealer, who buys his stock from Audi 'down sarf'!

He is now looking into it, hopefully should have an answer by close of business tommorow.. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Basically washed his hands of the whole thing, and omitted liability by saying 'thats why we put an independant warranty on the car'. Complete bollocks...just because he puts a warreanty on the vehicle, it does'nt exonerate him from liability for the vehicle. He will be last on my hit list, slapped with the trades description act 1979...not fit for the purpose.

Audi are first though... spoke to them on Thursday again and they say that because I got the work done through a non Audi source, they will not foot the bill. My arguement is that the warranty company were happy to pay the bill up until they said 'sorry, the service is 80k'. Have now faxed off the service book to Audi to let them see what they have written (muppets...put me right off buying another Audi...they have'nt got a clue WHAT they are doing!).

On the advice of trading standards, I checked to see if the 115k cambelt change statement was ever publicly retracted, and it was'nt. This means Audi GB now face a duty of care lawsuit.

The warranty company are maybe at fault somewhere down the line, but we have'nt established where yet.

ANY GOOD SOLICITORS FANCY A CRACK AT THIS???

Jeremy Clarkson and Richy Hammond are local boys (I'm ex Cotswold born & bred), I'm thinking about writing to JC and seeing if he fancies getting the bit between his teeth...you never know...might be something in it!

• 1 year later...

mine will be done well before time inc water pump.

Certainly will be looking into it when she passes 50K miles.

Heard of a few early failures in TT's that run the same engine, so better safe than sorry.

id rather "loose" 30K miles use off the life of the belt, than have the engine in bits to repair the damage.