Opinions required please!

dalegolf

Hi,i've recently (last Friday) sold my Mk2 Golf, so i have the funds to get a Mk3.

Only the Buyer has just rung me (after looking at the car very closely on friday) and said that one of the tyres is 'worn on the inside' and that 2nd gear doesn't work.

Now i know 2nd gear works as i've been driving it since April '04 with no probs and the wheels (although 2nds as i'm a little to skint to afford new decent one) we're good enough to pass an MOT!

Now i sold it for £475 and he wants us to come to an "Finacial Agreement" about the stuff he considers to be wrong.

Where do i stand? Do i have to come to a agreement or is it just a case of 'sold as seen'?

Sold as seen - whats to say he hasnt swapped the tyre over? Surely it is something he looked at when he came to buy the car and accepted that the condition of the car at that time was reflected in the price.

Did he not test drive it? IF so why didnt he notice 2nd gear at the time, did it break on his way home?

If the car is fit for it`s purpose, I think you`re covered. You didn't specify a warranty when you sold it. Tyre wear should have been checked before he handed any money over. 2nd gear not working is maybe a bit more concerning, but I`d say it comes down to "good will" at best.

Sold as seen I'd say, as I'm sure you didn't offer him a warranty.

Guess he had chance to check the car before handing over the cash also?

In any case, its price reflects the expected condition IMO.

I wouldn't hand over a penny mate.

Thanks guys. Yeah he looked the car over on two occasions before handing over the money, and although he didn't test drive it, he had ample opportunity to.

No i didn't give him a wattenty, i'm only 18 and not exactly a Trader!

Yeah Price reflects condition, thank you ppl!

[ QUOTE ]

and although he didn't test drive it, he had ample opportunity to.

[/ QUOTE ]

More fool the buyer then - he would need to prove that problem didnt occur on the way home, if it was present when the vehicle was colelcted why didnt he turn straight around and complain then?

Stick to your guns, tell them to politely leave it.

[ QUOTE ]

More fool the buyer then - he would need to prove that problem didnt occur on the way home, if it was present when the vehicle was colelcted why didnt he turn straight around and complain then?

Stick to your guns, tell them to politely leave it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will. Thank you smile.gif

Dale tell him to go jump, you said he bought the car for his son? I wouldn't mind betting his son bought a different car without realising his dad had allready bought one for him and now they're stuck with two cars. You have no financial responsibility over the car once you've sold it unless you have agreed a waranty. You both made a verball contract when you decided to sell the car and when he agreed to buy it. He has no comeback for requesting money from you, the car is his problem now regardless of its faults - he checked it over and didn't find anything wrong with it so tough!

Have you sent off your bit of the log book yet? Hope you're not still the registered keeper, he might be a complete arse and speed through camera's or get parking tickets just to be spiteful.

[ QUOTE ]

Have you sent off your bit of the log book yet? Hope you're not still the registered keeper, he might be a complete arse and speed through camera's or get parking tickets just to be spiteful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i sent it off that afternoon (last friday) 1st class so its definatly there!

Agree with all of the above, except this:

[ QUOTE ]

If the car is fit for it`s purpose, I think you`re covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a private sale, it doesn't have to be fit for anything, once the buyer has accepted it (ie handed over the money) then if the engine drops out 10 feet down the road it's tough.

Thats just how it is with private sales. (Different with a trader obviously).

Tell him, that is the nature of complicated mechanical objects.

If he objects, then tell him 'hey ho, sh1t happens. Bye'

Sold as seen, done deal, shaken hands. If 2nd gear does not work, then why did he not bring it back as soon as he drove 20 yrds?

Feck off or sell it on yourself.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A way around this is to make a recepit, and make sure the data and time is on it and BOTH parties sign it. So if the owner gets heavy footed on the way home you wont get a £60 fine and 3 points.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely a joke ?! £400 odd quid ? Tell him you get what you pay for !

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely, sold as seen in good faith. The onus was on him to find any fault before he paid for it.

I have just bought a Mazda 323 Estate for £400 which is immaculate, needs an exhaust but apart from that nothing. Not looking forward to handing the A4 Avant back but £400 quid for a years motoring makes me smile smile.gif

Jon.