[Audi A3/S3] S3 Performance Issues

S3_Dan

Hi All, Im new to the forum and wondering if anyone has any advice for a problem I've got with my S3 (2000 W plate)

Basically it seems like the turbo isnt working, although some days it does work. It has worked today and its been 30C so is not temperature related - but this was the first time it worked for ages. Generally the car runs ok - but without any power - the turbo doesnt cut in at all.

I've had a new Air flow meter fitted about 6 months ago and currently have a problem with my "acceleration sensor" so the stealers tell me , and want £180 to fix it. As a result my ABS light and ESP light is on. Any ideas?

I've read posts about the collapsed hose issue but cant see anything obvious. Any help would be appreciated as the stealers piss me off.

Cheers

The car is a 2000 W plate. I've already had the MAF replaced and when that had gone before, it gave different symptoms. Currently my car runs ok (without any jerkyness etc) but just with poor performance. Its obvious the turbo isnt working, because when it does you can feel it kicking in and the performace is like an S3 should be. Could it be a collapsed hose?

Well since the car has not been performing, I can notice the difference when the car seems to have a good day. Like I said the other day for some reason it seemed to be working ok and there was a massive difference in performance. Anyway I'll take your advice and goto someone who can get some data logging done. cheers

Sounds like it might be going into limp mode - could be a number of reasons but holed hoses are often to blame for this.

Lateral acceleration sensor? Bit of a weakness on the S3. Best thing to do there is get that code cleared and see if it comes back. There is next to no maintenance possible so if its misbehaving they'll just change it and charge you lots as you've seen. They're normally intermittent though so its an idea to get a feel for the frequency of the problem. Clearing it will let you spot next time it happens.

Please note that while your ESP light is in it means that ESP has been disabled, likewise your ABS light so be extra careful as you're driving without these 2 safety systems as long as the lights are on.

Come to a Tyresmoke meet - someone will be there with a Vag-Com and can run do the diagnosis for a packet of Cheesy Poofs instead of the £80 a dealer will want.

Welcome 169144-ok.gif

• 1 year later...

I've had pretty much the same problems recently. The ESP/ABS warning lights have gone off and stayed off for a few days now, but last week, they were either both on, or I was getting both the ESP and ABS kicking in when I least expected - e.g. ESP when accelerating gently in 1st, ABS under sustained braking (although not heavy/sudden). I'm happy this is ok for the timebeing, but I'm also getting the "turbo not working" thing which I think may be due to the TIP collapsing.

Does anyone know how to accurately diagnose a collasping hose?

Nope, collapsing hose tends to happen at a very specific point in the rev range (c. 5,200 rpm) and under full acceleration.

You notice normal acceleration and then a complete tail off and the car takes an eternity to rev beyond this point.

Retrying on 1/2 throttle should see the car rev cleanly through the rev range.

This also only tends to affect remapped cars 169144-ok.gif

• 2 months later...