R32 and VXR

jimmyt180975

I was on the verge of buying an R32 and may still be!

However, and as i am not the most decisive at the best of times, just seen more pictures of the Astra VXR and not sure if to wait a bit longer for its road test reviews.

I want to be sure i am making the right decision.

Help convince me the R32 is the right one to buy!!

Shall I tell you what an R32 owner would say about:-

6 cyl over 4 cyl

4wd over 2 wd

no torque steer issues over popeye arms

I looked at one, I thought about it then got back in the R.

Vauxhall really are getting some sort of act together, running ahead of Ford and not far of parallel with the Germans for build.

At £19k (with lge wheels) and no real discounting available (wait 6 months!) it's into top money, sub 15k miles R32 prices.

Deprication could be heavy and remember, unlike the R or the RS Ford it is an open market, unrestricted volume model. Could be the best selling "Young Buck" rep car for years to come.

Possibly a classic model for Vauxhall, but then I think it will quickly end up as the Chav Max Power toy to own.

I must be getting old, because 20 years ago, I'd of loved one, an did own a Astra GTE for 8 months!

Do you really need me to tell you what you already know?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Jezzas comments are being a little misrepresented - I doubt the torque steer is any more dangerous than the Focus RS was (and that was quite a handful). That kind of horsepower through the front wheels is bound to be interesting, but I bet it feels pretty fast compard to the R32 given the lack of 4wd drag. Give the VXR a AMD remap and it should be very interesting!!!!!

For me I'd have the Vauxhall, over the GOlf GTi anyday, the R32 is more difficult because it does sound nice :vroomvroomsmilie:

[ QUOTE ]

Have you ever touched the dash on a Vauxhall?? Nasty!!! If not be carefull, try not to break anything....

[/ QUOTE ]

Never had one vauxhall need as many trips to the dealer as VW/Audi, in fact for one thing never had a single MAF failure in any Vauxhall I have owned, and they are still made by Bosch - so I guess I'd go for fragile dashboard over fragile mechanicals anyday.

Have you touched the dash of a NEW Vauxhall?

MUCH better but most VW owners conveniently fail to acknowledge it.

My Astra (top spec) is very well screwed together. Not a squeak or a rattle anywhere after 3k miles.

My R32 was the same - After two trips to the dealer to solve a nasty dash squeak and a rattly brake cover.

I agree that the new Astra is much better built than it used to be, having recently hired one for work, although the quality of the plastics used is not as good as those found in VWs and Audis, but what do you expect - as JC said on the programme, it's a full £1K cheaper, so something's got to give.

Also, round the track, it was quicker than the R32, by about a second. It's not posted on the Top Gear web site yet - but they definitely stuck it above the Golf!

Yes, it's a banzia bonkers car, but something's got to be good about it to be that quick (6 seconds to 62..?). The Renault 5 Turbo also had chronic torque steer - I owned one for about 3 months a long time ago - then the first baby appeared wink.gif - but it was a great car, even if it did have the strength of a cake tin if you crashed SAUER0421.GIF

R32 v VXR is not just about speed though, even though they might try to deny it, R32 owners are "badge snobs" - I have no problem admitting that I would prefer a VW parked on the drive than a Vauxhall - we've only got VWs on the drive, so it would be hard not to! tongue.gif

R32 owners also like the exclusivity of the R, compared to the VXR, which is in a similar vein to the Cavalier SRI 4x4, i.e. a souped up rep-mobile (no offence).

Pay your money and take your pick, but don't slag it off. slap.gif

And relaxxxxxx 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Am I missing something???? confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure! Couple of comments from above...

[ QUOTE ]

I saw Top Gear last night and Jeremy tried to drive the VXR, far too much power for the chassis to handle, very dangerous, don't buy this car!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Have you ever touched the dash on a Vauxhall?? Nasty!!! If not be carefull, try not to break anything....

[/ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif