Picking mine up next week!

Silverfox

After being an Impreza owner for two years, I;m taking the plunge into R32 ownership. Its an October 2003 on a 53 plate, blue. Been looking at this forum and trying to get as much info as possible. I've asked them already to verify its had the software upgrade. It'll be kept fairly standard but I might do the flapper mod straight away as I'm sure the R32 is much quieter then my scooby is and I like a 'bit' of noise! So, hello all and I'll post my initial reactions when its delivered! 169144-ok.gif

Simon

[ QUOTE ]

...any suggestions? I'm not familiar with VW modding. My scoobs got a full decat too so will probably do the same with the R32. What sort of costs are involved with decatting etc an R32?

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to TsN! 169144-ok.gif

The best thing you can do is talk to Ed at AmD in Bicester.

Don't bother with the decat (IMO) - too many electronics involved with throttle control etc. Go for the full Milltek stainless system with sports cats and their Stage 2 conversion which will give you circa 278 bhp. Or go the whole hog and go straight to stage 4 (like Helfinger and I did after doing the mod above) with a couple of extras like a Cold Air Intake and high pressure fuel regulator and you'll push around 310 bhp...

Then just keep going! A friend of mine runs an Impreza Type 25 - 350 bhp laugh.gif and all I want to do now is tweak the .:R to thrash his Scooby round the track, which is why an HGP Turbo conversion is on the cards...

ECLIPSe.gif

Have fun! beerchug.gif

Thanks all. One question I do have and can't find a definitive answer to regarding the brakes fitted to the R32. Are they 4 pots on the front? I'm used to Brembo four pots on the scooby and like the stopping power! I was hoping the R32 had decent anchors too as standard. Anyone give me an answer?

I think most people tend to find the R brakes superb, are you saying they dont compare well to your Scooby?

Mauve G will no doubt describe the performance increase after he upgraded from stock, i believe that the standard brakes are awesome for every day use but are not so good if you track your car regularly.

You may just wish to upgrade the pads

[ QUOTE ]

Mauve G will no doubt describe the performance increase after he upgraded from stock, i believe that the standard brakes are awesome for every day use but are not so good if you track your car regularly.

You may just wish to upgrade the pads

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are upgrading the pads, definitely try the Green Stuff ones - don't go near the Red Stuff pads unless you are only using the car for track days - they never get warm enough for daily drive use. You can get them from AmD

The standard brakes are fantastic until they come under heavy use, like on a track day. I managed to warp one of my front disks after a day at Donington, so upgraded to the ECS Tuning Stage 5 front and Stage 1 rear. UK distributor is JBR Performance

The front conversion uses 6 pot Porsche Cayenne calipers and freakin' enormous disks:

front-upgrade.jpg

The rear conversion uses the standard calipers, with larger disks and a spacer arm so the calipers will fit over the disks:

rear-upgrade.jpg

The stopping power on this set up is absolutely awesome! Feels a bit like your kidneys popping out the front of your body if you stamp on them hard wink.gif

I'm running the standard Porsche front pads with US brand race pads on the rear (can't remember the make) at the minute but will be upgrading to Green Stuff pads when these ones go as they can start to fade after about 5-6 laps going from 120 to 60 mph around Cadwell Park EEK2.GIF

HTH

beerchug.gif

Thanks for that. I'm currently using Red Stuff ceramic pads on my scooby and they're excellent for road use I find. Are the R32 red stuff pads a different compound then? I know EBC revised the red pads recently. They work fine from cold too, but do come into there element when hot. Mine too has Brembo 4 pots so must be similar to the R32? I would have thought the red pads were perfect for an R32 especially as its a bit heavier than my STI and both are 200bhp+?

If they have changed the compound of the reds, they may be OK for daily use. Never managed to get Green Stuff pads to fade yet, although that was on the standard disks.

[ QUOTE ]

I would have thought the red pads were perfect for an R32 especially as its a bit heavier than my STI and both are 200bhp+?

[/ QUOTE ]

The BHP doesn't have much to do with it really, it's the speed you're braking from - I agree that with more power you'll get to a quicker speed in less time. I was running a Stage 2.5 (278 bhp) when I warped the standard disks, but that was to do with hard braking during 10 non stop laps at the end of the long straight at Donington rather than anything else!

beerchug.gif

now i may be alone here but wouldnt it be even better if the rear discs when upgrading were the same size as the fronts so that they fill up the gap nicely?

Its all about symmetry in my opinion it would look alot nicer. Small discs on the back and large on the front dont seem right.

I've wondered about the larger rear brakes too. All I know is the EBC told me there was a new formula for the Red stuff and I've been using them for 3 months now with 'spirited' driving in the scoob and they're superb in my opinion. When the R32's pads run low I'll put some on and report back on them. Just had an update on the car and looks like its gonna mine next Thursday! Bring it on...!