Audi A4 Avant 1.9 TDi

NewNiceMrMe

If you were buying one of the above with a ceiling of £20k, used....

1. Are they all 130bhp or whatever it is?

2. What options would you look out for?

3. What colours do you think best suit them?

4. What wheels were available on them when they were new (show me pics please).

Good car, okay car, bad car, sh1te car?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If I had £20k to spend I would go for a new 2.0tdi B7 Avant.

A mate just bought one for £20k down from £21450, black with a few options, with 18" 9 spoke alloys.

For £20k on a B6 on say a 54 plate I would want, less than 10k miles, leather, 18" alloys, dvd navigation and auto gearbox, there have been quite a few with that spec. on autotrader.

The B6 A4 TDI has a red I on the TDI badge and is the 130. I would go for sport spec, 18 inch alloys and in mauritius blue. You could also get the 115 PS TDI up until a while ago. Try and get the GmbH sport kit - which is identical to the S line body kit.

Inside, go for symphony 6CD, bose is not essential as the standard stereo is good. Cruise is a bonus and rear electric windows!

Chris, as you know I have the saloon not the avant but for what it's worth here goes.

If you go for the "old" model, the B6, most of the used cars will be 1.9 Tdi 130 PS. You could get a 1.9 Tdi 115 PS but not many people bought the 115 so there's not likely to be many around.

You can also get a 2.5 Tdi (163 PS) but again, there's less of these around and they'll be more expensive.

The "new" model, the B7 with the new grille, comes in 1.9 Tdi 110 PS and 2.0 Tdi 140 PS. The difference between the 130 and 140 PS engines on paper is minimal but people who have driven the 140 rate them very highly.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything less than 130 PS.

As far as spec levels go, I would so for a sport or s-line.

I had a look on drivethedeal for a new 2.0 Tdi s-line and with metallic paint and the no-cost styling option with 18" wheels.

The discounted price is £22,391 (£2,400 off list price = nearly 10% which is a good deal). Any other options will obviously push this higher so unless you want to break the 20k barrier, I think you will have to go used.

For 20k you should be able to get one of the later B6 s-line models which came which a few goodies. They had a GmbH styling pack and 18" wheels so looked pretty nice.

Spliix's s-line with GmbH kit:

1_G.jpg

Avus Bub's s-line with GmbH kit:

Bubs_S_Line_12.sized.jpg

As far as options go, get what you can really! The late s-lines came with half leather trim IIRC so I don't know how many people will have upgraded to full leather.

The options that most people will have went for I would imagine are xenons, SatNav etc.

Cruise and SatNav+ (DVD based) can be retro fitted by people on here for a very fair price.

Upgraded sound (BOSE) isn't necessary IMO unless you want to play your music at full tilt and the standard set up in the avant and saloon is pretty decent.

As far as colours go, have a look in the gallery for some ideas. Personally I like Atlas Grey wink.gif but there are some really good looking cars in there in red, avus silver, blue and even black!

Finally as far as wheels go, assuming you go for a sport or s-line the most common ones you'll see are 17" 5-star, 18" 5-arm RS6 style and 18" 9-spoke RS4 style.

The sport (which became s-line) were fitted with 17" 5-star from early 2003:

New6.jpg

New7.sized.jpg

The s-line upgrade then came with 18" 5-arm RS6 style wheels:

0026_G.sized.jpg

Bubs_S_Line_9.sized.jpg

Some people have went for the 18" 9-spoke RS4 style though:

IMG_0240.sized.jpg

right_side_view.sized.jpg

Phew!

Anyway, you know where I am if you want to go for a blast in my saloon to get a feel for the 130 PS engine 169144-ok.gif

Top response Milo!

Not much to add to it really. Colour is down to personal taste. I like Denim Blue, Dolphin Grey or Smoke Silver. Go for leather if you can, the leather they use in the A4's are seriously hard wearing compared to the leather than I had in my A3 and S3. Bose is very good too.

For £20k i'd personally be looking at an S-Line in Red or Black - they're gorgeous!

[ QUOTE ]

Chris, as you know I have the saloon not the avant but for what it's worth here goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow Milo - and you really did go for it!

A stunningly helpful response if ever there was one. 169144-ok.gif

I like those RS style wheels - they look nice.

I'm a bit disappointed there isn't a 150 bhp version like the 320d, but then the person wouldn't be using this as a flying machine so it wouldn't really matter much.

I suspect it'd be the B6 model in order to get spec and the bodykit (looks nice with that one).

Very useful indeed. If anyone else has anything else they want to chip in please do. Thanks to the others for their suggestions too - all helps.

Nothing major to chip in with that post!!

Just really to say that the PD130 engine is fantastic. I had a tuning box on mine (will be going back on if i ever find 5 minst to sort the insurance out!) which is good fun, if you want more grunt.

I have an SE spec, but with cruise and rear leccy windows. Its spot on for me and im in it for about 35K miles per annum. Sport GMBH and 18" RS6 wheels next on the list and i will be sorted!

BOSE not really needed in Avant as you have 10 speakers as standard and a small bass box in the back - sounds great! Get a CD changer, or drop in an iPod link or MP3 changer if you are into digital tunes 169144-ok.gif

Never fussed with leather......

Great car...... im biased on colour - Crystal Blue is best and its *quite* rare too..... grin.gif

I paid £15,750 from a screen price of £16,995 with a trade in, so always bear in mind discounts are out there!

I'd suggest getting the 1.9 130PS and a decent tuning box. The difference in drive is excellent. The 2.5 163PS really isn't worth it, although sounds nicer as it's a V6. Older engine technology though.

I would say personally stick with the B6 as the GmbH factory kit looks stunning. I have the saloon (SE, not sport unfortunately) but would have love a GmbH Sport Avant *dribble*

My personal colour favourites are Red, Silver or Blue (in the picture above) and the RS4 9 spoke 18" rims 169144-ok.gif

I paid a smidgen over £ 21500 for my 05 A4 2.0tdi S-Line. Not much in the way of options as I bought the showroom car, so just got accoustic rear parking and the free S-line stuff.

It's a great car, fabulous engine, handles well, is comfortable and ( I think ) looks great !

If you don't like or can't stretch to a B7, then I'd definitely go for the B6 S-line as is still looks the dogs, but will possibly start to date soon as more and more B7's hit the road.

Never driven a 130bhp but can't imagine it's much different to mine.

Mine's averaging about 41mpg and is quicker in gear than my previous 1.8T ( 163 bhp ), especially 3rd, 4th and 5th. Slower away from the mark in first and second but you'd expect that with a diesel. You're never gonna win any races away from the lights ! grin.gif

post-3219-137914317193_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Slower away from the mark in first and second but you'd expect that with a diesel. You're never gonna win any races away from the lights ! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree, and I think SparkyUK would too. Mine's like a rocket, tuning box or no tuning box, it just has to be driven correctly. I win several races off the lights, not that I'm into traffic light GP, but there's not a lot of reps/chavs I can't shake.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Slower away from the mark in first and second but you'd expect that with a diesel. You're never gonna win any races away from the lights ! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree, and I think SparkyUK would too. Mine's like a rocket, tuning box or no tuning box, it just has to be driven correctly. I win several races off the lights, not that I'm into traffic light GP, but there's not a lot of reps/chavs I can't shake.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would disagree too - you just need to learn how to balance it right in the high turbo boost and drop the clutch / plant it - it really does shift! Tuning box doesnt do much better on start-off i dont think.... more the torque it gives you in-gear.

If you miss-time it, the revs drop, turbo spools down and you are fooked!

My Starion is the same, but i need to red-line it to keep it on-song! 6500 rpm bouncing off the limiter and drop the clutch. LSD does its job and 6 seconds or so later (if you shift to 2nd well!) you hit and fly past 60..... 169144-ok.gif

Oh how i love it......... grin.gif

MrMe, tell your mate to have a look at the Audi Used Car Locator for an idea on prices.

There are 54 plate and 05 plate Sport Avants with sticker prices within his budget as well as those slightly over but which would sell within budget.

There's a lovely 2005 '54' plate Atlas Grey Avant with the GmbH kit at £19,999. It's a multitronic which might suit his driving conditions.

Only problem is it is in Sunderland. UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Sounds like it! The analogue boxes do the trick, but I was a bit miffed after buying one that all it was inside was a resistor. I got my digibox off ebay - with the original reciept for £600... a snip at £200.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got it after advice from UBM really to try out the feel before gettng a digital box.... It works fine for me, is very well constructed, TUV approved and cost me £30. Cant complain for now.... 169144-ok.gif

i got 1k knocked off the screen price of mine and bumped buy trade in for the RS by 1k...

I got this...

04 2004 A4 1.9TDi 130ps Quattro Sport Saloon... love the Avants.... but couldn't find on new enough for the money.

It's got rear park sensors/Bose/Full NEW black leather

trouble is mileage is high for year...

Picture not good, camera phone... but i love it can't wait to pick it up this week.

290620050047me.jpg

2906200500330dt.jpg