Turbo (s)?

dazdot

Saw a mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo today. This got me wondering,is twin turbo 2 x same size turbos and if so, why this over 1 large turbo? Or is it 1 large and 1 small turbo. If the latter, does the small 1 do the work untill the larger 1 is upto speed?

No real reason for asking this, just curious i suppose.

169144-ok.gif

There are various possible implementations.

You can have two equally sized turbos, this means you can equal the boost of one larger turbo but a smaller turbo can spool up to speed quicker than a large one and this helps reduce lag.

Alternatively you can have one small and one large, the large giving the boost for peak power while the smaller one provides a small amount of boost lower down the rev range, again reducing the turbo lag at low revs.

[ QUOTE ]

There are various possible implementations.

You can have two equally sized turbos, this means you can equal the boost of one larger turbo but a smaller turbo can spool up to speed quicker than a large one and this helps reduce lag.

Alternatively you can have one small and one large, the large giving the boost for peak power while the smaller one provides a small amount of boost lower down the rev range, again reducing the turbo lag at low revs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. 169144-ok.gif

I guess they must be 2 x on the mitsu as it says Twin turbo, not 2 turbo's. beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Saw a mitsubishi 3000GT twin turbo today. This got me wondering,is twin turbo 2 x same size turbos and if so, why this over 1 large turbo? Or is it 1 large and 1 small turbo. If the latter, does the small 1 do the work untill the larger 1 is upto speed?

No real reason for asking this, just curious i suppose.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It will also depend on engine cofiguration - ie V engines would almost definitely use the same size ( S4 RS4 RS6 ) for balance.

Straight six engines however could use a small (for low revs) and large (for high) .

I think I'm right in saying the 535d uses a small and large turbo for this reason.

BUB

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that. 169144-ok.gif

I guess they must be 2 x on the mitsu as it says Twin turbo, not 2 turbo's. beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well both would still be called twin turbo.

The BMW 535d is a 'twin turbo' but has two differently sized turbos. The Noble is too but has two identical ones.

The Bugatti EB110 actually had quad turbos, which I presume was 2 pairs of 2 different sized turbos.....

[ QUOTE ]

The 535d is technically Sequentially Turbocharged and not a "twin" or "biturbo" 169144-ok.gif

Twin/biturbo applications tend to serve opposite banks of cylinders I do believe

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it still gets called 'twin turbo'.

If I remember correctly the Skyline GTR was a straight-6 but that was sold as a Twin-Turbo, and the Toyota Supra was the same smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If I called a skyline a Cortina would it be a Cortina or a Skyline? smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I guess it would be called a Skyline if thats what its called!

It would depend on your authority, if you were the chief of car naming at Ford then I guess it would be a Ford Skyline, or maybe a Ford Cortina Skyline....

My brain hurts SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

The 535d is technically Sequentially Turbocharged and not a "twin" or "biturbo" 169144-ok.gif

Twin/biturbo applications tend to serve opposite banks of cylinders I do believe

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the BIG Jap stuff - Skylines and Supras?

Don't the big boyz run two "train" sized turbos inline?

Re: Ford Cortina Skyline

You could simply apply 'chavlogic' and not simply content with calling it a Skyline also add badges for 'GTI', 'GTR', 'Supercharger', 'Turbo', 'RS', 'M' and 'AMG'.

This would create the Ford Supercharger Cortina RS Racing Turbo Skyline M GTR Turbo AMG GTI. It would produce 50,000bhp but 0-60 would be a leisurely 9 seconds and it would handle like a 911 on crack since to the sheer weight of the back end of it wink.gif

Start what?

Anyway, as I understand it, the two turbos on my car are the same size and it is simply a case of one for each bank of cylinders on the V8. Of course, if there is a rationale for providing one turbo per cylinder bank, it makes you wonder what sort of fun you could have with a W12.

blimey! any one the wiser!!!??? grin.gif

the 3000 GT is a mitsi V6. The engine has twin manifolds and a turbo on each, both the same size! It has twin intercoolers and an oil cooler / normal rad - yep 4 rads in total!.......

There is NO difference in twin turbo / biturbo - its just a manufacturers name basically! The Saab Aeros (hot's) are twin turbo, but dont really market it as such. These are cars with a small turbo to spool fast / reduce lag and big fat one to spool up for peak power! All on the same manifold..... There are a few others around like this too.....

The 3000 GT replaced the Starion (see my sig - i have one incase you didnt know!) and they went the whole hog to try and benefit from the Starions image - but it was a bit of a naff car the 3000 GT. Very heavy, 4x4, 6 speed box and LSD BUT it wasnt what it should have been with 300-odd BHP and hence it flopped! Quite good for tuning though.

Personally, my 4G63 derived Starion (same block as is in the EVO's now still) with one great big fat turbo is the best mitsi came up with, but i'm biased! Yes, it is very ON / OFf with nothing before 3500 rpm and its all over at 6500 rpm! BUT - its awesome when it kicks in......

Long winded, but hope that clarifies it for you my friend(s)! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, as I understand it, the two turbos on my car are the same size and it is simply a case of one for each bank of cylinders on the V8.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the car runs two seperate throttle bodies (one for left and one for right cylinder head) then i wouldn't say the turbos are for each cylinder bank, you will proberly find that most V engines run 2 turbo's as they can easily run 2 smaller turbo's making the engine more efficient and in most cases less "laggy" than a larger single turbo which would have to be fitted a lot further down the exhaust system.

Most non V engines i.e Nissan skyline, mazda RX7 use sequential turbo's, one is usually smaller and spools up with less exhaust pressure to reduce turbo lag which is caused by the low compression of the turbo engine, then at higher engine speed/load the larger turbo will spin up and run more boost than the smaller unit.