Frankfurt R32 pics

sw1

TP27 said

[ QUOTE ]

Bi-Xenons on the new R......

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking at the pic above that Smudge dropped in, do you reckon they are..? confused.gif

They look more like projector beams for dipped and regular H7's for the main beam. Not being picky, but is dual xenon what the VW marketing hype says?

Pics of the Silver 5-door show beige leather, parking sensors and hook for Chaufeur's flatcap. Is this to be an up to date .:R for petrol-heads <u>OR</u> a new grand-touring V6 4Motion reincarnation. Going to have to wait to hear the plaudits remarks on how it drives before I make up my mind! shocked.gif

Why are people saying the Mark 4 it is hard to argue that the MK 4 is better looking the frumpy rear end is not exactly a sporty design.

I ordered the new R32 about three weeks ago. My only concern is that the handling will not be as sharp - I was about to order the GTI, but when you add in a few optional extras the GTI seems quite pricey in comparison to the better equiped R32.

Welcome to TsN Jimbo 169144-ok.gif

You'll find a lot of people on here (including me) are very sold on the Mk4 R32 because that's what they drive. As you've probably guessed, the views on the Mk5 are very subjective.

A lot of people are of the opinion that VW have gone "soft" with the Mk5 version, making it a non-limited edition car. Also a lot of people don't like the styling of the Mk5 Golf altogether.

I had a Mk5 R32 on order earlier this year but cancelled it when I heard it was only going to be 250 bhp. I just don't think VW have done enough with the styling of the Mk5 R32 to differentiate it enough from the rest of the Golfs in the range.

Personally I find the plastics of the interior of the Mk5 to look and feel too cheap, based on having a TDI and a GTI for a couple of days.

Frumpy rear end on the Mk4 R32 or not, it's still a fantastic car.

BTW, what do you drive now..?

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Personally I find the plastics of the interior of the Mk5 to look and feel too cheap, based on having a TDI and a GTI for a couple of days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't agree more. No matter how much the outside isn't as bad as my first opinion, the interior still makes me say no straight away.

There has been a few reports about the interior quality and vw have been slammed for it as its not up to their previous standards.

But I agree that if buying a new golf, with the cost of the gti by the time you add on extras you might as well go that bit further and get the 'new' r32. Maybe that's a secret ploy of vw's to sell more.

Or............instead of getting a new r32, get mk4 and you'll save some money 169144-ok.gif

Hi there - I know what you mean about the plasticy dash - currently i have a mini cooper s - I have been driving this for just over three years, its time for a change and I was about to order the GTI when i spotted the R32 in the papers

I agree about the dashboard - but all cars have their shortcomings - and I am sure the R32 will prove to be pretty rapid - i have been told that I will receive a call soon to arrange a test drive - The proof will be in the pudding, if its a big lump of hotair under the bonnet & if the handling useless then I will cancel the order.

The one thing I do like about the R32 is the bodykit - the gti really bothers me when your paying £20k for a car and they cant be bothered to paint the rear bumper.

The dealers' demo cars are supposed to be arriving at the end of this month. I've heard there is now a 6 month waiting list if you order today.

It shouldn't be a big lump of hot air under the bonnet, as it's based on the 3.2 FSI engine. The standard Mk4 R32 has got plenty of grunt, although a lot of people on TsN have modified theirs to get anywhere between 270 and 360+ bhp (mentioning no specific names you understand) compared to the stock 240 bhp.

The softer suspension that the Mk5 R is getting is something I am concerned about, even though I have technically made my Mk4 a stiffer and harder ride. I found the Mk4 V6 4Mo a horrendous ride for an allegedly "sporty ride" when I first test drove one back in 2001.

Doubtless there will be plenty of after market options to stiffen up the chassis, even though the MK5 GTI handling has received rave reviews, but I think the new R32 should offer better handling than the Mk4 to show that VW can deliver some progression going from Mk4 to Mk5.

Best of luck Jimbo. Don't forget to let us know how you get on - maybe a write-up on your test drive, even if other people have posted their own - it's always great to see different people's opinions.

beerchug.gif

I had the afore mentioned 4MO for about a year and the comfort couldnt be sneezed at, it was like a sofa on wheels and at the time i thought the handling wasnt bad (considering i was driving a hyundai accent before then thats not suprising !) but now driving my R32 it makes the 4MO a bit like a beached whale in comparison. If the new R32 is to be like the 4MO then it really will be a disapointment but i suppose a test drive will prove it either way. Still, the new 32 doesnt jump out at me like the MK4.