Poly Belt change!

jimmyp

Just a quick one chaps, has anyone had their poly belt changed yet?? As mine is getting done on friday as ive got a slight tinny rattling sound coming from the cam belt area but seemed to go away with a good blast of wd40, have been told that it's the poly belt and safe to drive.

Another trip to the stealers frown.gif but apart from that she is running extremly well smile.gif

169144-ok.gif

I would have thought spraying wd40 onto a belt wasnt the best idea as its going to cause it to slip. The belt maybe too tight or too slack causing is to squeek.

I too have a squeek on my belt, but only on 1st start up when its cold then it goes away till the next cold start, only had it since I had my power steering pump changed, so im guessing the tension is just not quite write.

cheers

matt

just a warning - WD40 is 99% kerosene and not the best compound to put on rubber and / or polymers

it will cause rubber to swell (kerosene aka hydraulic fluid) would soften the paint on the older generation cars

the silicone suggestion is far better and actually, while it will generate some slippage, will help seal the belts - silicone is a much friendlier compound - good for weatherstrips, etc and really a good rust or corrision prevention compound - it will not float off in water, and actually "wicks" to covering whatever surface it is on

but would definitely relegate wd40 to tasks like removing rusted bolts/nuts etc

And its called WD40 because..........I've been led to believe 'WD' stands for war developed and 40 is either the 40th version (!) or the 40th product registered. I used WD40 on my motorcycle after washing it down. Douse the engine with it, start it up, let the WD40 get hot and start smoking, which leaves a small amount to protect the engine. Never had any problems with it but then was always washing the damn thing so probably wasn't on long enough to do any damage.

LOL war developed isn't quite correct. The WD stands for 'water displacement'. 40th stands for the 40th formula.

That kerosene claim is also a load of crap. From the website: 'What does WD-40 contain?

While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents. "