RE: why are car bumpers hard?

Chav

Maybe I'm being thick (nothing new I know), but why don't cars have soft spongey bumpers?

Even a 2mph prang seems to cost a few hundred quid nowadays, so why don't manufacturers start selling cars that are designed to cope with the zombies that populate supermarket carparks?

Surely they can design soft bumpers that absorb collisions and still look cool?

smashfreakB.gif

Oh, dude, you`ve just reminded me of what happened when a workmate was parking his Citroen behind the company Accord. I stood there watching the gap and he just kept on driving and the bumper on the Accord literally folded up like paper as he drove about 3 inches deep into it. He then put it in reverse and drove out. Neither vehicle was marked. I was quite impressed with the way it sprung back into shape smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Oh, dude, you`ve just reminded me of what happened when a workmate was parking his Citroen behind the company Accord. I stood there watching the gap and he just kept on driving and the bumper on the Accord literally folded up like paper as he drove about 3 inches deep into it. He then put it in reverse and drove out. Neither vehicle was marked. I was quite impressed with the way it sprung back into shape smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was a glitch in the matrix or something.

Every car I watch that hits another in sainsburys or tescos, results in both cars being fecked! smashfreakB.gif

Agreed. That`s why I was so surprised to see what happened to the Accord! Having softer bumpers does seem to make some sort of sense... maybe it`s to do with crumple zones and impact to bodywork other than just the bumpers?

I seem to remember the wings on a mate's Clio were designed to be springy so would just reform after an impact... still, didn't do him much good when he slid into a tree and bent the bonnet while parking smashfreakB.gif

I suppose compared to 20 years ago they are quite soft and flexible.

My first car, a 1981 Fiesta Popular Plus SMOKE6.GIF had a pressed metal bumper bolted onto each end of the car. Virtually no give at all and probably only transferred any impact directly into the chassis crazy.gif

You could always cover your existing bumpers in polystyrene packaging and bubble wrap if you want to give your car a bit more protection. The bubble wrap could double as a parking sensor - when you hear the little pops you know it's time to stop cool.gif

I did some research & development a couple of months back into the construction of an Audi A4 bumper.

Basically I wanted to scientifically measure the rigidity of the structure and how it performs with low velocity impacts.

I concluded that if you knock over a pile of roof tiles it wrecks your bumper and costs you £500 to fix it coffee.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I did some research & development a couple of months back into the construction of an Audi A4 bumper.

Basically I wanted to scientifically measure the rigidity of the structure and how it performs with low velocity impacts.

I concluded that if you knock over a pile of roof tiles it wrecks your bumper and costs you £500 to fix it coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif I`d forgot about that! 169144-ok.gif

I was once hit by a guy in a 3 wheeler who must have been doing at least 30 when he hit me and the car [my Astra at the time] was unmarked.