Cabrio in a car wash ?

bazza_g

confused.gif I was at the Total garage on the A3 at Hindhead the other day and there was a fella in an Audi A4 Cab about to put his car through the carwash ?!?!

He reckoned he'd been putting his cabs through carwashes for years with no ill effects and no problems with the hood?

Without wishing to be shot, does anyone here with a cab use a car wash ?

grin.gif All this did get me thinking, someone should introduce a carwash option for cabrios that just did a spotfree finish rinse and dry ? No brushes involved but I'd like to be able to drive from the jetwash into the carwash for a rinse and dry ?

Does this exist ? 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You can do it according to the manual. My old A4 cab had obviously been through one many times judging by the swirl marks... smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif I've just checked the owners manual and it encourages you to use a carwash as Washing by hand is more environmentaly harmful than using a carwash !!!

The advice is to not use the 'wax' option in the carwash as it doesn't agree with the hood material.

grin.gif I think I'm going to give it a go later on ! jump.gif

I will say I have a bias against automatic car wash establishments due to there us of harsh detergents/chemicals, which have a detrimental effect on paint (and even more so on a fabric top)

Fabric tops:

Fabric convertible tops (mistakenly referred to as 'canvas') are considered to be the best. These are not vinyl or canvas, but a laminate consisting of several components, a top layer of a solution-dyed acrylic textile, a middle layer of butyl rubber or urethane, and the poly-cotton headliner.

A Fabric top comprises a multi-layer composite outer fabric, an inner layer and dyed polyester / cotton-lining fabric, the acrylic textile is very UV resistant...that's why it's used in this application. However, it has no inherent soil resistance; it is only water resistant, not waterproof. These breathable fabrics are made `water repellent' by a chemical treatment process during manufacture. It repels (beads) water, resists soiling and impedes mildew formation.

With time and use however the original treatment diminishes, making periodic cleaning and pre-treatment necessary, thereby extending the useful life of the fabric. After a year or so, fabric convertible topping starts to lose is soil and stain resistance, owners begin to notice the fabric gets wet and has to dry out when it rains.

JonM

[ QUOTE ]

Bazza - if you want to wreck every millimetre of your paintwork in a matter of seconds, then do it.

The guy you saw must have been a fecking idiot or a multi-millionnaire - or - just didn't give feck about his car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been through a carwash a few times. No problems at all!

Driving down roads at 80-90mph will inflict far more damage from loose stone chips etc than a few brushes in a car wash IMO 169144-ok.gif

...and winter is just round the corner... grit galore! suicide.gif

The car wash I used didn't have traditional brushes but strips of some type of foam material. Didn't leave any marks on the paintwork but the real reason I stopped using it was because I could see what it was doing to the roof and also my driving is so crap, I kerbed 2 wheels into the metal guide bars on seperate occasions.

[ QUOTE ]

Bazza, I will even wash you boxster rather than see it go through a car wash mate!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Thats jolly decent of you mate ! Though fear not, it didn't go through the carwash - I ran out of time tongue.gif

grin.gif Will stick to the jetwash for the time being 169144-ok.gif