[Audi A3/S3] Real S3 news!!

Scotty

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard about 18-24 months ago that Audi had realised it wasn't all about power but about the balance, handling, weight etc.

This was also the engine I was expecting but as yet we've still to see details about the car, it's weight etc.

The V6 is too heavy for the S3 which needs to be lithe and agile.

[ QUOTE ]

I heard about 18-24 months ago that Audi had realised it wasn't all about power but about the balance, handling, weight etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this one of the Audi board saying that they were no longer interested in being a part of the power race? And then they launched the 420bhp RS4 into the mid-size saloon market...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't this one of the Audi board saying that they were no longer interested in being a part of the power race? And then they launched the 420bhp RS4 into the mid-size saloon market...

[/ QUOTE ]

Prior to that. I was told privately whilst discussing the S3. It wasn't a press release. sekret.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone guess what the 0-60 time would be?

I think i've just found my next motor. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (it was a long time ago) the plan was to keep it under £30k. I specced a 3.2 A3 to the same trim as my TT (i.e. leather etc) and it came up at £29k! I just don't know what spec level the S3 will be at.

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone guess what the 0-60 time would be?

I think i've just found my next motor. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not forget 0-60 is not everything although I would like to see it break 6 seconds just because 5.9s would be great. The 2.0T engine is a good choice and should be good for 300 BHP via a tuner.

Lets hope for other improvements such as:-

Weight saving - aliminium wings & bonett.

Quattro - 60:40 split.

Brakes - Brembor standard fade free.

Can anyone make out the standard equipment, apart from the obvious CD, Lightpack & Zenon plus ?

Also I guess they are the extras at the bottom suc as BOSE, anyone work these out either.

AZ

I've had a go at translating some of the standard equipment, please understand I'm no expert though........

S-line exterior body kit

Rear roof spoiler

Alarm/Immobiliser

Black headlining

Automatic Climate Control

Xenon Plus

Central armrest in front

Cigarette lighter and ashtray in centre console

Floor mats

Interior Light Pack

Multifunction sports steering wheel, 3 spoke design

Heated Seats

CD Changer

2.0T FSI 191kW/260PS 6 speed manual Quattro

Hope this is of some help! smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I've had a go at translating some of the standard equipment, please understand I'm no expert though........

S-line exterior body kit

Rear roof spoiler

Alarm/Immobiliser

Black headlining

Automatic Climate Control

Xenon Plus

Central armrest in front

Cigarette lighter and ashtray in centre console

Floor mats

Interior Light Pack

Multifunction sports steering wheel, 3 spoke design

Heated Seats

CD Changer

2.0T FSI 191kW/260PS 6 speed manual Quattro

Hope this is of some help! smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good effort now get to work on the extras at the bottom of the page tongue.gif

It better have standard Recaro's

beerchug.gif

AZ

Is anyone else slightly disappointed by 256bhp?

I know this should easily translate to 300bhp once 'tickled' and the low weight is encouraging, but I did fancy a little more than a breathed on GTi engine...

I wonder whether its simply a VAG remap or whether they've changed any of the hardware as with the last S3? If they haven't, then I'm concerned that this just won't be special enough....

[ QUOTE ]

I know this should easily translate to 300bhp once 'tickled' and the low weight is encouraging, but I did fancy a little more than a breathed on GTi engine...

I wonder whether its simply a VAG remap or whether they've changed any of the hardware as with the last S3? If they haven't, then I'm concerned that this just won't be special enough....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree is does seem lower than we expected but with decent weight savings, 60:40 Quattro split and good brakes it will make an excellent car. i am pleased it will not have the heavy v6 upfront. I prefer the smallest S cars having turbo power.

The TT Sport with 240 Bhp and weight savings was a much improved TT with 5.9s 0-60 so the S3 sounds promissing.

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. The 1998 B5 S4 was a fu-king quick car when launched with 265 bhp and 295 lb ft. With a kerb weight of 1600 kgs, I cannot see this new '1405 kg' S3 being any slower. Would still take the heavier Sportback model though personally!

What are Audis' internal chassis codes for the 1996-2002 A3 and 2002- new shape model btw?

Ian

Yes, and have you seen the average size of non-warranty electrical work on these bloody cars?

As far as I'm concerned, the 1st/2nd generation Audi ESP system is a pile of rubbish and I'm simply not prepared to expose myself to £1k plus surprises whenever the car feels like it.

And that's just the little things, with engines running at £5.5k and gearboxes at £6k on the S3 alone buying a used B5 RS4 (as much as I absolutely love them) is madness unless you have cash just sitting in the bank ready to throw at the car should it have a hissy fit. I'm not saying it will but they're far from perfect and right now all of my savings and investments are tied up elsewhere.

My next car will either be new and with a 3 year warranty or I will buy something very cheap as a stopgap while I focus cash elsewhere. I just need the new S3 to light my fire and get me thinking with my heart and not my head smile.gif

Or, I'll just take a company car, be forced to keep if for 4 years and probably end up killing myself Flush.gif

The new S3 probably will get the juices flowing though wink.gif

Well no, not really...

The thing about depreciation is that (unless your circumstances change suddenly) it happens on your terms and you are in control of when you take the depreciation hit.

Furthermore, there's data available to help you predict and plan for depreciation. Then there's the fact that if you buy the right car at the right price at the right time you can negate a lot of (and occasionally all) of the depreciation. E.g. Bison ran one of the first R32s in the UK for almost a year and sold it for what he paid for it.

On the other hand, running or non-running costs appear as and when they bloody like.

As an example, I have an ESP light on now and I know that if I take it to Audi its going to cost me between £400-1,400 to fix and, well, the last place I want to spend my money is on my car for absolutely no tangible gain other than getting it back to exactly as it should have been anyway.