1. 1. Assembled by the ...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

I thought steel was the colour to get the CSL in?

1093833876-2003-bmw-m3-csl.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, Silver Grey is the colour for CSL's. Slightly lighter than Steel Grey.

Why do you need the prices of the options? I can't help with U.K prices unfortunately.

I think with full options it was £60K+ shocked.gif

I need it to work out what the company car tax will be. You have to take the price of the car when new, add on all the extras you want. Then multiply the sum by 35% (as its in the highest bracket) then you are taxable on 40% of that figure!!!

if it was £60k then I will have to pay £8400 in tax p/a!!! EEK2.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

I thought steel was the colour to get the CSL in?

1093833876-2003-bmw-m3-csl.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a pre production car and they were all finished in Steel Grey.

For production models only Silver Grey and Sapphire black were available.

The UK list when new in July 2003 was £58,455.

I agree, why buy that as a company car??!!!

BIK tax on a CSL is £712 a month.

If you bough a 54 plate one for £40k and financed it with Cahoot or similar at 5.5%apr you could get it with 0 deposit, pay £15k over 36 months leaving £25k as the final payment (which I think would be about right).

This would cost you £572 a month.

if you did it over 36 months with no deposit and left only £20k at the end it would cost you £692 a month, still less than you would pay in BIK tax.

Surely your employer could give you 40p per mile or the same amount in wage, I know you will have to pay 40% tax, but if they were going to pay for the CSL anyway and say give you £800 a month at least you would have £500 a month to cover fuel, insurance and servicing, plus I bet you would come out with £5k when it was trade in time, and it means you can swap after a year if you want as it is up to you what you do.

My car is on Pistonheads at the moment, but after going out in the RS4 this afternoon I'm not sure I want to sell it now!

The CSL certainly feels quicker and still sounds much louder and better.

SG is a peach of a colour and is not at all high maintenance, we've even got the wifes 320D S Touring in it.

Hers she is

169144-ok.gif

68136-1.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

My car is on Pistonheads at the moment, but after going out in the RS4 this afternoon I'm not sure I want to sell it now!

The CSL certainly feels quicker and still sounds much louder and better.

SG is a peach of a colour and is not at all high maintenance, we've even got the wifes 320D S Touring in it.

Hers she is

169144-ok.gif

68136-1.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh yours is the first car I looked at, I have your spec in front of me 169144-ok.gif

But im not looking at buying just yet anyway...

So you think the CSL is quicker and more fun.. Thats good to know, anything else you could say? grin.gif

I'm reserving full judgement until I drive it later today, but it's not really in the same category.

RS4 is nowhere near as hardcore as the CSL, doesn't feel as exclusive or special. But it's not supposed to I guess.

You can't get away from the noise of the CSL, the carbon everywhere, the stance etc. Plus the SMG really is bloody good (now I've had a new clutch/flywheel/software etc).

Also there's no mistaking the CSL for a 318 M Sport, you'd easily think the RS4 was an S Line from a quick glance wink.gif

I'll give you a better update later once driven.

Cheers

Ben

[ QUOTE ]

Aircon, Xenon's, PDC, CD player, Comfort screen, velours mats, rain detector and alaram where all cost options on the CSL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alarm was std UK models..plus there were these options too ;

Removal of speed limiter (upon production of Race licence)

BMW RDS (inc lncuding wiring looms/speakers)

Grad tint screen

CSL Cup alloys

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tyres (with a signed disclaimer)

Gareth.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm reserving full judgement until I drive it later today, but it's not really in the same category.

RS4 is nowhere near as hardcore as the CSL, doesn't feel as exclusive or special. But it's not supposed to I guess.

You can't get away from the noise of the CSL, the carbon everywhere, the stance etc. Plus the SMG really is bloody good (now I've had a new clutch/flywheel/software etc).

Also there's no mistaking the CSL for a 318 M Sport, you'd easily think the RS4 was an S Line from a quick glance wink.gif

I'll give you a better update later once driven.

Cheers

Ben

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic, I'll do the same when i test the car next weekend. I would be very interested in how it stacks up to the CSl in regards to road holding and performance from your perspective. I'll do the same, but my CSL experience will have to be from memory...

169144-ok.gif

The RS4 is certainly faster 169144-ok.gif

Right, I think I will stop trying to compare the two cars.

It all depends what you are in the market for. For sheer driving experience, the CSL wins quite convincingly. It feels very analogue, whilst the RS4 feels digital, slightly artificial.

The CSL is a car that can be used daily, the RS4 is designed to be used daily, I don't take the CSL down the shops, but with the RS4, I would go.

Then there's the RWD/4WD thing. I took the same corner where I'd get the back out in the CSL, but just planted it in the RS4 and it just grips and goes.

You can go faster, safer in the RS4, but with less skill and involvement. The RS4 won't teach you much and will make you complacent about handling 420BHP.

The CSL will keep you awake (especially in the winter) and is less flattering, but more fun when you are having a blast.

Much of the above applied to the B5 RS4 also.

Glad I don't have to make a choice today!

Cheers

Ben

Ps digital/analogue thing was a bit naff but couldn't think of any better way to describe it

grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The RS4 is certainly faster 169144-ok.gif

Right, I think I will stop trying to compare the two cars.

It all depends what you are in the market for. For sheer driving experience, the CSL wins quite convincingly. It feels very analogue, whilst the RS4 feels digital, slightly artificial.

The CSL is a car that can be used daily, the RS4 is designed to be used daily, I don't take the CSL down the shops, but with the RS4, I would go.

Then there's the RWD/4WD thing. I took the same corner where I'd get the back out in the CSL, but just planted it in the RS4 and it just grips and goes.

You can go faster, safer in the RS4, but with less skill and involvement. The RS4 won't teach you much and will make you complacent about handling 420BHP.

The CSL will keep you awake (especially in the winter) and is less flattering, but more fun when you are having a blast.

Much of the above applied to the B5 RS4 also.

Glad I don't have to make a choice today!

Cheers

Ben

Ps digital/analogue thing was a bit naff but couldn't think of any better way to describe it

grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you have certainly managed to shatter my hopes and dreams. You make it sound like the RS4 is a better car than the CSL... And faster frown.gif Im gonna need another go in the CSL...

I suppose you did, just scared me a bit with the back out comment. I'll get used to it.

So are you gonna make the change then or stay with your a little longer... The nipper will be more comfortable in the back of the Audi, but id wait till he can talk to tell you that wink.gif

So was there much in it performance wise, or did the audi just feel quicker?