I need help

Chelsea Mick

Please please help me.....

I am getting drawn in by the dark side.

Lately there has been so many things go worng with my '99 S3 I am having impure thoughts.

I have this niggling voice inside my head and my finger keeps clicking on auto trader looking at.....

F-F-F-F-F

F-F-F-F-F

I can't even say it......

F-F-F----ford

There I said it.

In particular I have to confess at looking at a ST220 on another website and strangely being drawn in.

I mean, it looks like a nice car.

Got all the goodies and toys, i.e DVD touch screen sat nav, Xenons, Electric Recaro seats, sunroof blah blah blah..Low mileage, 1 owner, warranty etc...

Seems like you get a lot of car for not a lot of money.

It's gonna be cheaper to insure (half the price actually), service, repair than my 7 year old S3.

Do I really need help and therapy? confused.gif

Dr Saab diagnoses acute Dagenham-itis - it is quite common in Essex. No need to be alarmed. Some people live perfectly normal and fulfilling lives whilst suffering from this condition - many have found work in the travelling sales industry. Long term sufferers report a peculiar emptyness and a nagging sense of regret and repeated inability to locate their cars in supermarket car parks.

[ QUOTE ]

No Mick. It just means you have seen the light. You have finally realised that Audis are problem riddled, over-priced tat sold by unhelpful dealers, that can't be redeemed by just having a "quality interior".

Hallelujah! jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even rate the interior. I much prefer mine.

/runs off.

Mick - funny enough on my way to work I saw one and on the way home. If Mondeos still depreciate like they did when I had one as a company car then it'll be a bargain.

I was actually thinking the same thing as you. It must be an Essex thing!

Scotty.

The one I have seen is a 53 plate 2004 model (phase II)

Fully loaded as I've said above. 14.5k miles one owner still some warranty left. It is owned by a car enthuiast so it's well looked after.

So i reckon most of the depreciation has happened already. I know new it would've retailed around the £28k mark with that spec.

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head with the Essex thing though ROLLEY~14.GIF

Pincher.

I've driven an ST Focus and I wasn't that impressed. As we discussed at the last meet, good value for money but a bit naked on the goodies front. Very standard interior. Just fancy a "V" sound for a while rather than a woosh. Don't want to spend loads on a car at the moment as i have plans for the not too distant future on the car front sekret.gif

The ST220 is a nice motor, I drove one on Rockingham at the launch and was taken round the infield track by a pro driver and was amazed how good it was.

I had the original ST200 when it came out in 1999 before the S3 and if i had to choose between the 2 now would struggle, although i think the Mondeo would win, just.

Jon.

If you like it, then go for it. It's a lot of car for the money.

There is someone at my work who drives one - and it is a good looking car. Should be fairly quick too I would imagine - if slightly thirsty 169144-ok.gif

I would be looking for a saloon, in Silver with the red leather option. CLosely followed by Blue, with balck leather grin.gif

If you want a 'V' sound engine, then get a Vectra 3.2 V6.

much nicer interior and a cracking car. Probably better price than the mondeo. Leave the mondeo - look for the Vectra. You know it makes sense.

Check out some Signums too - 3.2 V6 peachy engine, solid and well built.

My mate gets a replacement every 6 months or 9000+ miles on a scheme. The 3.2 is the weapon of choice. The 2.0 Turbo is defo not as hot.

Vectra vectra vectra!!!! Signum Signum Signum!!! both are second hand bargains.

OR what about a 3.2 V6 Omega Elite/MV6? Big rear drive fully kitted out cruiser/bruiser

Cruiser

There is no chance of me buying another Vectra....Ever!

I brought a brand new (facelift) Vectra GSi about 7 years ago. Cost me £22k at the time. 2 years later I gave it back to the dealers as they offered me £9k trade in. Privately they weren't worth a lot more..

Apart from the value side, I didn't really like the bloody thing. It was a bus! Not that quick (it was only the 2.5 V6 200bhp one), handled like a dog. Interior was very basic even though it had recaros.

Vectra...No No No dung.gifsportifs2.gif

I'm trying to persuade my dad not to go out and finance a brand new 3.0 V6 Diesel SRi Vectra, and an E39 Touring instead. Currently tooling about in a 199 Facelift 1.8 LS, and, its absoloutely, cack.

So I think it's time we had a nice car and I need to make dad think the same, although the Vectra is low mileage, about 74,000.

So the plan is to buy a new car and keep the Vectra for 'er indoors, leaving the Trooper for sorting the horses out, towing the 'box and trailer etc.

Mick - Get the ST220. My next door neighbour's son has one, funnily enough he abandoned his Vectra on her driveway for it!

AS

I took an ST Focus out a few weekends ago.

I was a bit underwhelmed with it all to be honest.

Gotta admit it is excellent value for money but the whole package just didn't do it for me. I really wanted to like it but just couldn't live with it. It handled ok, it sounds nice but it just wasn't quick enough for me. The interior was a bit sparse and bland too. If I was buying another performance turbo charged car I would wnat more oomph to it, if you know what i mean.

I owned an RS Focus a while back as well which wasn't all that either.

I'm not expecting the Mondeo to be that quick compared to what I'm used to but, as you know, the V engines deliver the power differently.

My objective is to get a newer car than I own (7 years old now) for around the 12k mark with as many goodies as possible. The mondeo appears to fit my criteria for now. This is only a short term solution until I am in a position (family wise) to get the car of my choice sekret.gif

I was seriously contemplating an ST220 when i sold my S3. It's got a lot going for it. I needed a bigger, more practical car for our new arrival so i was really looking for an estate but at the time, ST220 estates were quite hard to come by and just outside my price range. I'd go for one; they look real good and fords are good cars at the end of the day 169144-ok.gif

You could always do what I did and get an A4 avant?? I paid 11k for mine with 100k on the clock but the A4 seems a lot more robust than the a3/s3 - if i clocked it to 30k you'd never question it. the interior holds up really well. And it's never missed a beat other than the rear shocks which needed replacing - i think the previous owner lugged around loads of stuff in the boot so they were knackered! I may have paid a bit over the odds for mine but it was the exact spec that i was looking for ie 130tdi engine with sport pack and Atlas grey with beige leather (essential with a baby!) - Bose and other toys were just the icing on the cake.

Well worth checking out.

The only other car i was interested in was the Zafira GSI - i know its a vauxhall but it was a great all-rounder. loved the looks and it went well too. Dealer never bothered getting back to me though.

Thanks Floyd for your comments.

I really wanted a newer, family orintated car with low mileage and as I've said earlier the ST220 appeared to fit the bill.

Anyway. Took the plunge on Sunday and brought this

797518-MyST220.jpg

Nov 03 (2004 phase II model), 15k miles, 1 owner, touch screen sat nav, electric sunroof, xenons, electric heated recaros, auto lights, cruise control, auto wipers, auto dip rear view, blah blah eletric everything etc. etc... £12k.

Only driven it 200 miles (home journey) and it feels so much better than I expected and remembered from a Ford.

post-354-137914356672_thumb.jpg