Police cars exceeding the speed limit?

DHA

On Sunday morning (before 6am) I was driving along the A3 on my way to work, it was the 3 lane section and NSL. A volvo estate came up behind me and I braked as I had been doing 85mph. The volvo was in fact a Surrey Police traffic car. I slowed to 75mph and the traffic car shot past me at I would guess near to 100mph. The car had no siren on and no blue lights.

Are the police allowed to exceed the speed limit without showing any blue lights?

My gran lives almost opposite the police headquarters for Newcastle Upon Tyne. The road is a 30 limit, and to be honest I don't think any of the cars with Police livery on them adhere to that speed limit, I've no gripes with them driving at whatever speed they need to on the way to an emergency response, but surely in a 30 limit it seems a but on the line?

As for motorways and other faster roads.. fine they've got a job to and I'd want them to be going as fast as safely possible if they were on their way to me.

Recently saw a marked Volvo doing 69mph in the slow lane causing a huge tailback. We slowly went passed and were infront by about 100m when he then undertook about ten cars and shot off at well over 100mph (no lights), so fast infact that the air wave infront of his car moved mine when he went by!

Then about 5 miles down the road we caght up with him, doing 69 again.

Not sure what that was all about, but certainly was not safe driving.

Admittedly a few years ago now, I was given a lift home about 2am on Sunday morning by a mate (who's now a chief inspector!) in a marked police Omega. I was a little p*ssed but not too much to notice that we were "proceeding" down the A46 lincoln by-pass at about 130mph. "Why's he doing 130?" I recall saying. My mate looked at me incredulously and said "Beacuse he can!" Certainly got me home in record time, although the effect was spoiled when they insisted on taking me right to my front door complete with blue lights a flashin' (fortunately no sirens) got a few funny looks from the neighbours the next day!

Not really fussed, they have a job to do.

It amazes me how people STILL do not see or hear them come up behind them!

If I see a Police Car doing 69mph on a motorway, I carry on at 80. No point causing an accident by slowing down too quickly. Silly people do slow down for some reason.

[ QUOTE ]

If I see a Police Car doing 69mph on a motorway, I carry on at 80. No point causing an accident by slowing down too quickly. Silly people do slow down for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably to avoid being nicked! grin.gif

You also see lethal breaking around speed cameras that does question the safety aspect of some cameras.... (A303 behind a bridge mad.gif)

[ QUOTE ]

Admittedly a few years ago now, I was given a lift home about 2am on Sunday morning by a mate (who's now a chief inspector!) in a marked police Omega. I was a little p*ssed but not too much to notice that we were "proceeding" down the A46 lincoln by-pass at about 130mph.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that's somebody who's still around in Lincolnshire police, and that somebody has a good sense of what constitutes stupid driving and what constitutes 'making good progress'... wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

On Sunday morning (before 6am) I was driving along the A3 on my way to work, it was the 3 lane section and NSL. A volvo estate came up behind me and I braked as I had been doing 85mph. The volvo was in fact a Surrey Police traffic car. I slowed to 75mph and the traffic car shot past me at I would guess near to 100mph. The car had no siren on and no blue lights.

Are the police allowed to exceed the speed limit without showing any blue lights?

[/ QUOTE ]

In short, yes.

I was in an accident with a marked police car 2 weeks after passing my test. I was going through a green light doing 30 in my rover metro and he came through across in front of me doing 110mph. I nailed into the side of his car and flipped his over and it slid down the road. I later found out the he had been doing over 130mph down the promenade in Blackpool. He had travelled 7 miles to get to a domestic dispute that he still hasn't got to this day and that was over 13 years ago now. The witnesses said that he didn't have his lights or sirens going at the time. I consider myself lucky to be alive and am glad I do not remember anything about the crash or else I may never have driven again.

These guys may well be advanced professional drivers, I don't fell as safe as I do when my brother-in-law is driving (he is ex-traffic police), but quite a few of them think that they cannot be touched as they are the law and this should not be the case.

In my case the police driver was only banned from driving a police car for 6 months and had to retake his police test. If that was anyone else, the consequences don't bear thinking about.