Newbie needs advice

mike12

Hi

After veiwing this forum from afar for the last 3 months, I need to ask a bit of advice.

I bought my first Audi 3 months ago after 5 years of VW ownership. It is a 2003 A4 Avant Sport 190. I am really pleased with it. It is by far the best car I have owned.

My question is to do with the variable servicing. It is due it's second service in 6000 miles. It has covered 21000 miles at present. I am not keen to keep it on the variable as I only cover between 8-10K miles per year and don't like the idea of oil lasting that long in a turbo charged engine. I would like to have an oil changed now ( non longlife) but will I need to get the DIS reset or will I be able to run it until the end of the 6000 miles. If the DIS is reset, am I as well as getting a full 10K inspection service.

Lastly , what oil would you guys recommend?

I will try and get some photos up over the weekend

Cheers

Mick

Welcome to Tyresmoke 169144-ok.gif

If you have the manual it should state the oil requirements for fixed servicing. I would then change the oil now and then at the next service in 6000 miles time get the dealer to change the car over to fixed servicing intervals.

I would run it until the service is due and then get the oil changed to non-long life and get Audi to put it back to set 10k intervals. I do loads of short journeys and my car, on variable servicing is not even doing 9k before it needs a service! I'm getting it put back to fixed intervals next time.

Welcome by the way 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Welcome to Tyresmoke 169144-ok.gif

If you have the manual it should state the oil requirements for fixed servicing. I would then change the oil now and then at the next service in 6000 miles time get the dealer to change the car over to fixed servicing intervals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded 169144-ok.gif

Welcome to TSN beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I need to change it with longlife or non longlife oil to run the 6000 miles?

Avus Bub I see in one of your previous posts that you went to Star Performance for a remap. I live in Scotland (near Falkirk) and I'm seriously considering a remap as the price is now only £400. I just want to know if it is money well spent and how much difference it actually makes on the road.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would I need to change it with longlife or non longlife oil to run the 6000 miles?

Avus Bub I see in one of your previous posts that you went to Star Performance for a remap. I live in Scotland (near Falkirk) and I'm seriously considering a remap as the price is now only £400. I just want to know if it is money well spent and how much difference it actually makes on the road.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still use a 0w30 or 0w40 oil. In theory it will give better cold flow and protection, better economy and power. Also if it can last for 18-20k and 2 years, then 10k and a year will be no problem.

If you can find a Comma oil agent , then they do a VAG 503.00 oil (same as Castrol SLX LL 2) for about £25 for 5 ltrs 169144-ok.gif

As for the re-map - get on the phone to Jim NOW! blush.gif

The difference is night and day. It gives the car better low down pull but with a lovely turbo surge at 2500-2700rpm. Better economy too 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif