The S4 now has Audi's lowest output petrol V8

Merlot

For me its a question of working out when to upgrade. My S4 Avant is nearly three years old and FSI for 2007MY would tip me over into ordering a new one.

Otherwise as the S4 Avant is not my only car, I will probably kid myself that I can wait for the B8 S4 Avant if that can be with us by early 2009 but it will probably be late.

If I order a new non FSI S4 Avant for the autumn I just know that they will facelift the B7 in the spring and delay the regular B8 until late 08/early 09. You know how it goes....

The S4 is now kind of out there in its own little niche.

With the new M3, to which it was kind of benchmarked, being 420hp and squarely aimed at the RS4, the S4 is in a kind of no mans land.

The 335 turbo seems to be a fantastic car, from both handling and performance figures, and it has been benchmarked for the latest X drive system too, so an AWD sports estate car it could be.....

If I had the luxury of doing so, I would definately hold off from a new S4. You have taken the depreciation on yours already, and they might have to up their game a little to compare with the competition that BMW are giving them.

[ QUOTE ]

The A6, Allroad, A8 and Q7 now all have the 4.2 FSI V8 engine giving 350PS (and better economy) whereas the S4 has to make do with a non FSI 344PS version and 10% worse fuel economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but remember that they are all larger, heavier cars. It's the power to weight ratio which matters more than the raw figures, and 6PS or so isn't going to matter an awful lot.

I agree though, it would be nice to see FSI heading the S4's way eventually.

FSI won't significantly change the note of the engine if at all as the RS4 has FSI. But as JC said it is power to weight ratio that counts. As for increasing fuel efficiency, mine seems to run better with a new exhaust when I am driving sensibly as I can 9 times out of ten get mear 25mpg without the leaden right foot.

To see if it will improve further I'm thinking of a remap sooner rather than later. I had promised myself to wait until MOT age but money burning hole in my pocket etc is clouding my judgement. slap.gif