Electric Polishers - Porter Cable?

Tarmac_Terrorist

Hi,

I have just ordered mine from Autopia (a usa site), in brief... they are the best because in terms of design they are virtually perfect for the job of compounding and polishing paintwork. They were originally designed as sanders but not many use them for that any more. They are random orbital polishers which means instead of the head rotating in one direction the head of the pc sort of ''jiggles'', in a similar manner to your hand but a lot faster, up to 6000 opm (oscillations per min). Head over to detailingworld.co.uk and there is a whole world there who love the thing. If you want to go one giant leap forward in terms of car detailing then a pc is a must have. Yep it is not cheap but then again what item in life worth having is.

I reckon go down the wreckers yard and get yourself an old bonnet for a tenner and practice on that grin.gif

My PC and all sorts of other stuff is sitting in a depot somewhere in Dublin having arrived from Autopia also last Friday, hope it will be winging its way to me early this week.

In my case I am gonna practice on reviving my wifes 97' Civic that we are waiting to sell - gonna see how it comes up and then maybe up the price a little grin.gif

Regards

Paddy

Ps - TT, don't forget you need to get a transformer etc as the PC is US voltage. Think you guys (In UK) can get it all from screwfix for cheap - I had to go to a local lecie wholesalers and pay a little more.

Further to going over to detailngworld.co.uk, one chap who posts on here runs a business in Wokingham called cleanandshiny. They are suppliers of all things lovely for car care, forget your Halfords sponge and Chamois. It just so happens that john who runs the firm is having an open day at his premises this Saturday. Why not take a trip out as there will be demos on car detailing techniques. Plenty of knowledgeable peeps will be there to show you the ropes and offer advice. Also visit johns website at cleanandshiny.co.uk 169144-ok.gif

Simon, i still think this is the best one: http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/1porter-cable-variable-speed-polisher-p-182.html

or this http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/1porter-cable-variable-speed-polisher-p-183.html with a load of pads and backing plates.

They seem/look £££, but when you think thats everything you need, unless you go the top when where if you use different pads which you will then you will need the pads and backing plate. But if you compare it to the autopia one, where most people get charged customs and then have to get stuff from screwfix etc. It will work out about the same price with adding on all the extra shippings and parts.

hth

andrew

TT - my experience is that the swirls only show when you go looking for them, you probably know that to the naked eye in normal daylight they just do not show up. Only time I see any is under the halogen light at night or in direct sunlight. Problem is I have Blue Graphite GTI and this shows all swirls etc. My silver Volvo shows nothing at all whereas I know the paintwork on it is well swirled and needs some good polishing - hence when I get the PC (Still has not arrived and I am at my desk in work waiting for the delivery) I will experiment on wife's Civic before we sell it. If I get that right I will move to the Volvo, then maybe in 6 months might do the GTI, at present it does not need it but I think over time from washing etc it will get more swirls cause no matter how gently I wash it - using wash mitts with two buckets and lots of soaking of dirt beforehand - the swirls still seem to get there.

Anyway, enjoy the GTI when you get it (if you do not have it already??)!

Regards

Paddy