Adding content to websites for Dummies

Mollox

Ok, so I can design web pages that look good etc. Problem is, what if I design a webpage for someone (in Dreamweaver) and then they want to update it/add content etc etc…without my involvement.

Short of resorting to asp or php what technology, techniques are there for a user with only basic IT skills (i.e. wordprocessing) to update the content of their own sites? I mean text only here.

Never really looked into this so have to ask the silly question. For example, is there any way to set up a templated page so that they can simple import a series of paragraphs from word (for example) and it gets published in the pre-determined site format?

Or do most web design companies manage site updates on a contract-basis. I mean I can’t imagine the sort of people I’m thinking of using ftp to upload pages to a server.

Open to all sorts of ideas here - i imagine there's some kind of software product that does this?

Cheers

Inigo

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, so I can design web pages that look good etc. Problem is, what if I design a webpage for someone (in Dreamweaver) and then they want to update it/add content etc etc…without my involvement.

Short of resorting to asp or php what technology, techniques are there for a user with only basic IT skills (i.e. wordprocessing) to update the content of their own sites? I mean text only here.

[/ QUOTE ]

They need more than basic IT skills to update a web page in a text editor (although that's where I do most of my page composition).

[ QUOTE ]

Never really looked into this so have to ask the silly question. For example, is there any way to set up a templated page so that they can simple import a series of paragraphs from word (for example) and it gets published in the pre-determined site format?

[/ QUOTE ]

UBBThreads uses templated pages, but you still need to be smart enough with HTML to update the templates yourself.

[ QUOTE ]

Or do most web design companies manage site updates on a contract-basis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as far as I know - it's a continued revenue stream for them, you see.

[ QUOTE ]

Open to all sorts of ideas here - i imagine there's some kind of software product that does this?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's lots of HTML editors out there which do a fine job, and look just like word-processors (OpenOffice/StarOffice can do this, as I think can MSWord).

cheers Trev,

'continual revenue stream' is obviously what i wanted to hear wink.gif but at the same time it seems crazy that someone should have to go back to a designer/developer if say they just want to change the price of one item on a page...

I think there would need to be a balance between charging some people every single time they even think about changing their site wink.gif and just empowering others to do what they want and then charging them to put it right when they cock up the design/look. FIREdevil.gif

Found some info on Macromedia Contribute on the net and this seems interesting - any opinions?

And then i saw this Update your own websites which seems to be the sort of thing you were talking about.

smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

'continual revenue stream' is obviously what i wanted to hear wink.gif but at the same time it seems crazy that someone should have to go back to a designer/developer if say they just want to change the price of one item on a page...

I think there would need to be a balance between charging some people every single time they even think about changing their site wink.gif and just empowering others to do what they want and then charging them to put it right when they cock up the design/look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kind-of agree with you that it is crazy. However, many folks are just too afraid of the Internet and see web development as a back art, which it isn't really (although doing sophisticated stuff can be).

The thing is to try to reach a happy medium where you (the web developer) get work, and they (the customer) don't have to pay you £30 just to change a link/picture/whatever. For completely web-illiterate people, you might want to be generous and throw in a number of free modifications subject to them being cosmetic. For others, point them at FrontPage, StarOffice, Mozilla, .... and let 'em do it for themselves, but charge them if you have to do it for them (but be reasonable).

Sorry, I have no experience with Macromedia stuff.

I tend to do most of my web development in Mozilla's Composer or by hand in a text-editor.