And now a kerbed alloy...

markw99

After an annoying delay finally got the touch up paint delivered to sort the scratch that some lovely people left on my S4 Avant. Fingers crossed that works. And now another thing - had to take evasive action to avoid an ambulance at lunchtime and managed to kerb my alloy, even took a tiny chunk of tyre out of the bit that sticks out. Gutted...

Tell me about it... put my brand new set of RS4 alloys on and managed to kerb one on the very first outing. Gutted. And I have not kerbed any wheels on the cars I've had over the last 7 years which somehow makes it even more gutting.

[ QUOTE ]

My advice...

Whenever you get new wheels, kerb them straight away! 169144-ok.gif

You'll feel liberated when trying to park in tight places afterwards...

No more mm perfection - just ram it in there. znaika.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I also subscribe to Chav's school of wheel care. 3 kerbed so far, one perfect but the lacquer is peeling off of its own volition so I may as well kerb that one too soon. coffee.gif

Ditto, my wife kerbed 2the front alloy twice in 2 days (oh and of course not the same side wheel!) Patient of mine has a chipsaway franchise and hes gonna try and rescue them and my kerbed wheel on the S4. and Ive nver kerbed an alloy in 17 years....then again 18" rims are more prone ECLIPSe.gif

Well I followed Chav's advice and did another this morning, only two more for the full set, but this one is only a minor scuff. I've too haven't ever scuffed a wheel before and two in two days is pretty annoying. Any thoughts on how to get them repaired?

I used Chipsaway many times on the TT blush.gif (Wifes fault of course!). They did a great job and when I traded in the TT for the cab the wheels were like new.

The problem that the dealers have when repairing the wheels is that there is not a paint code that matches the wheels exactly. Chipsaway will mix the paint to give a perfect match 169144-ok.gif It is a mobile service too so its really convenient and the wheel doesn't even need to come off.

Well my RS4 wheels came as a set of 4 so I have phoned about buying another to use as a spare, and will swap the new one with the kerbed one.

But then I picked my car up from a cambelt change yesterday and found that the other rear wheel now has a chunk out of it!! So 2 damaged in about 4 days.

Just wondering if I should've gone for wider tyres than the 225/40s that are on, especially as my work takes me on to farm tracks which are notorious for damaging wheels, sumps etc.

[ QUOTE ]

If you live in the NE then SEM is the place. Top job every time I've used them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should be able to confirm or deny that this week. Someone I know kerbed his alloy and it is in SEM now to be repaired.

799153-notmineyouunderstand2.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed znaika.gif

Chav is the wheel kerbing champion.

How long did the Nuvolaris last Chav? yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember posting on here when I first kerbed the Nuvolaris.

I think it was 2 weeks after getting them.

However, what I didn't say at the time was that someone else kerbed my front/offside wheel on the very day I bought them.

..... smlove2.gif

However, all 4 Nuvolaris are now proudly boasting severe kerbing (e.g. a lovely dark scratch going around at least 50% of the wheel).

I really must learn to parallel park properly... one day! suicide.gif

I think Milo is right about the price. It also depends on the wheel design, simple like Avus = cheaper (I think), complex like 15 spokes takes more effort. I know someone who put BBS 16 spokes in and they chrged him nigh on £60 for his.

Mind you I've taken my wheels to SEM for the last 3 years and everyone knows me so maybe get loyal customer discount?