VR6 and V6 4 motion

Dave

The VR6 was a Mk3 Golf and ran the 2.8l VR6 engine with front wheel drive.

The V6 4Mo was a Mk4 Golf and ran the same 2.8l VR6 engine (with a higher bhp output) and the Haldex 4Motion 4WD drivetrain.

VW dropped the VR6 moniker, but the engine and it's principals are still the same - the 3.2l engine in the R32, TT 3.2 etc are still the VR6, just with a larger bore.

the v6 was a different natured engine, the vr6 was a silky smooth, relaxed car to drive, less sporting, and was let down a little by the standard suspension ( which can be improved), the v6 had a more agressive throttle map, and 4 wheel drive to aid traction. In fact I have always felt the VR6 was deliberately held back at low revs by the standard map to ensure traction was manageable.

I once had my mates Corrardo Storm to use for 2 weeks when he when on holiday. It was a great car, deep purple with purple leather seats and a slightly turned VR6. Totally mint with a set of euro look 16" BBS multispokes. I did a load of work on it (Upgraded green stuff pads and EBC disc's all round). The engine was rough and ready but i thought the power came in a bit late for road use (around 5000rpm).

It was a great car until it was wiped out by a chav in his sh!te Astra (side swiped it)

• 2 months later...

the Corrado had the 2.9VR6, the Golf had the 2.8VR6. both 12v with 15 degree angle between the cylinder banks so it used one cylinder head. IIRC the 2.9 had 175bhp and the 2.8 had 168bhp. Both used the cableshift 02A gearbox but the corrado's one was based on the mk2 golf chassis. better handling though.

[ QUOTE ]

the Corrado had the 2.9VR6, the Golf had the 2.8VR6.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the 4wd mk3 golf??? That came with the 2.9VR6 engine and syncro running gear. wink.gif

Also the corrado was based on a MK2 golf/passat platform, Using parts from both cars. The corrado had extra panels put in to make the chassis very strong.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

the Corrado had the 2.9VR6, the Golf had the 2.8VR6.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the 4wd mk3 golf??? That came with the 2.9VR6 engine and syncro running gear. wink.gif

Also the corrado was based on a MK2 golf/passat platform, Using parts from both cars. The corrado had extra panels put in to make the chassis very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't count. If it does, then the Passat vr6 syncro with the 2.9, the sharan vr6 4motion, vento vr6 syncro and the VW Caravelle.