1.8t Quattro - Slight Shudder or Missfire

stevej69

i have a very odd issue with my 163bhp 1.8t, it starts and runs perfectly, however once up to temp, if i pull up to traffic lights for example it will idle as normal but every so often there will be a slight shudder and the revs will drop slightly and immediately return to normal. Its almost like the aircon compressor kicking in and causing monemtary strain on the engine, however i've turned off the climate control and it still happens.

I remember watching a top gear episode when clarkson was driving an A8 over silly mileage on one tank of diesel and he said the engine was programmed to missfire as a warning when it was almost out of fuel, i cant see this being the case as it does it most of the time. is it normal or does anyone know what it could be?

My 1.8T 225 TT did exactly the same, and I know of lots of others that have done it too. Pull up at lights, idle, dip and then back up. On my newer TT it doesn't do it. Someone mentioned it might be a coil pack thats on the way out, but then other people have said its a normal characteristic of the engine.... crazy.gif

If its the maf I would expect you to be getting some flat spots or hesitation on acceleration. is the car running as normal? Do any lights come on when it shudders?

This thread is describing my only remaining problem with the cab - lumpy idle, flatspots, power dips.... Would a dodgy MAF show up at the dealers as they've had it hooked up and checked for any fault codes and I'm just being told it's a characteristic?