Broke my clay bar verginity !!!!

Drewcam

Just got the new car on Monday and have been concidering this clay bar thing for a while now. I'v allways been a cleaning fenatic as others that have seen my old sootchucker will tell you. So after reading threads on here and waching Milo at meets rubbing his hands on his paintwork getting his daily fix of smoothness i decided to go to the next step.

Bought from halfrauds, kwick detailer with claybar included.

Tried on bootlid first and wondered how this could possibly work. Spray spray rub rub "this won't fecking work" i said. Read instructions again and apparently i'm doing it right. Then looked at the claybar and feck me it was dirty shocked.gif Wehey this IS working. Completed the rest of car and most dirt came from rear end and from behind both sets of wheels.

If anybody is atleast just thinking about this i say do it 169144-ok.gif The difference in feel is astonishing, it does feel like slippery glass. Car is now polished and waxed and thanks to everybody that has wrote about claybars before i thank you. And Milo grin.gif807979-S4.2005.jpg

post-2197-137914357905_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The proper way to do it is to wash, clay, wash again, polish, wax.

I did the 6 about a month ago and trust me when I say it's a hell of a lot of bodywork to do. I then polished and waxed it. Then I went to bed. yelrotflmao.gif

The car is looking lovely Drew. Love the colour. 169144-ok.gif

As I feared, mine will need polishing AND waxing. It's 4 years old and while paint isn't in bad condition, I want to do the job properly.

Could just do with the days being a bit cooler though not raining as I will no doubt have to do it all outside.

AvantSE - if you hate waxing, may I ask the type of wax you're using?

If you were to buy yourself a tub of Pinnacle Souveran (or Signature if it's a light colour) you'll find waxing is no longer a chore - it's a joy.

It's the polishing part I don't like. Pinnacle is fabulous though and so easy to apply.

Well, I am assuming it is wax I have - some pale green liquid Turtle Wax stuff (have 2 full bottles to use up). Being a Yorkshireman, I would prefer to get these used before buying any more. I think it has put me off in the past because (basically) the car wasn't clean enough to wax i.e. it really needed claying, but this was a time before claying had become popular. i.e. I didn't know what I was doing really.

Plus, for the last 7 yrs, I have had company cars which, as everyone knows, do not require cleaning.

I am hoping that claying the car will make the polish/wax removal a lot easier and I will start to enjoy doing the job. Not sure whether to have a go on the wife's Fiesta first - to "get my eye in" - before doing the A4 Avant. Worst bit will be trying to reach the roof on the latter.

Yeah I know, cheap sh!t from Halfords. Like I say, not done anything with polishing/waxing for about 7 yrs, so it is some crap left over from about 1998!! I was just a foolish young lad then, your honour, and I realise I will be ridiculed and laughed at, but I am determined to mend my ways.

Don't even bother using the Turtlewax.

Go out and buy a bottle of Megs Gold Class Shampoo, a Lambswool wash mitt (cos' I have a worry that you're going to say you're using a sponge too!), Megs Stage II polish and a tub of Pinnacle wax or even Megs Stage III Carnauba if you don't want to spend too much.

It's pointless claying it if you continue using the stuff you are on it. You're using an enthusiasts method and then going to ruin it with Turtlewax crap. It'll be counter productive.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother using the Turtlewax.

Go out and buy a bottle of Megs Gold Class Shampoo, a Lambswool wash mitt (cos' I have a worry that you're going to say you're using a sponge too!), Megs Stage II polish and a tub of Pinnacle wax or even Megs Stage III Carnauba if you don't want to spend too much.

It's pointless claying it if you continue using the stuff you are on it. You're using an enthusiasts method and then going to ruin it with Turtlewax crap. It'll be counter productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, actually I have invested in a Megs lambswool mitt and one of their drying towels. Really impressed with both, particularly the latter.

I had a feeling I was going to be shot down in flames and if I am going to go to the trouble of claying the car, I will indeed go and buy the proper stuff if it really will make a difference. Don't want to put a load of effort in, only to balls it up at the end with cheap crap - will use that stuff up on the old dear's car!

Take it I could buy the other bits from Halfraud's then? Where I live there isn't much in the way of car shops - it has taken me long enough to get hold of the clay kit. smashfreakB.gif

After spending over £100 in the last week getting megs products I spent five hours the other day just taking off each alloy and using the nxt polish,then used it on the exhausts followed by cleaning the interior.

Tomorrow I'm off work so I plan to start early to wash car, clay bar car, attend to a few scratches then stage 1,2,3 to finish the car(and me) off. At least I'll find out tomorrow if it was worth the money.

So far though the nxt metal polish is great, alloys have never seemed so smooth to the touch, the leather cleaner/conditioner is good, but lacks the real leather smell. beerchug.gif