Shocked by standard intake help on induction

spencer

I've just bought a Mark IV R32 - I've just had chance to poke around tonight...have to say the standard air box set up look awful - it must be soooo restrictive. I've done some searching and the carbonio seems good for power but i'm concerned about its low positioning for water ingress....

I'm looking at the BMC CDA kits....are these any good? i would be interested to hear about any power results induction kits have given.....K&N is out i'm fearful of MAF problems and the kit i buy will have to be enclosed so it doesnt suck in any hot engine air...

Help please??? Other than that I love the car...the full Milltek system is awesome jump.gif

Both Dan32 and I run the EIP Cold Air Intake http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/airintakes.html

Make sure you buy the air bypass valve - details on the site. This sits at a similar height to the standard air box and allows air into the intake pipe if the filter (which sits behind the front bumper) is submerged.

You should add between 5 and 8 bhp, depending on other mods to the car. Expect to wait 4 to 6 weeks for delivery direct from the US.

I run the EIP Cold Air Intake too and it rocks the house laugh.gif

The whole thing from how well put together the kit is through the instructional video on how to fit it through how well it fits to the car to how great it sounds ... top notch piece of kit!

Slider,

All of the kits generally end up with the intake in more or less the same position. With the BMC kit, the only difference is that the filter is in the engine bay as opposed to on the end of the intake. The hose still sits down at more or less the same level and would proabably be as likely to suck in water. Was also under the impression that the BMC kit didn't give quite as good a result as some of the others (remembering that that might be as little as 1-2 bhp on a 250bhp car though).

I had the Carbonio pre SC and it gave a great result. If you search back through my threads you'll see the before and after dynos on here....result was pretty good, plus the thing sounded beautiful.

In all honesty though, I think the majority of the intakes give a very similar result. They are all as likely as each other to screw your MAF in my opinion.

b0b

[ QUOTE ]

In all honesty though, I think the majority of the intakes give a very similar result. They are all as likely as each other to screw your MAF in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting comment Bob - the single biggest problem with MAFs getting screwed is when people over-oil their K&N panel air filters. I've run the EIP CAI on my car for over 20K miles now and have never had a problem - it sits behind the bumper and the MAF sits in pretty much the same position as when using a stock air box.

I would have thought the s/charger conversion would cause some concern, given that the hi-flow air filter is only just below the MAF, just under the s/charger - or have you not had any problems?

I am also a very happy bunny! Picked up my MK4 on Friday.... WOW What a car!! Have to agree on the intake, I had a word with awesome over the weekend who rate the carbonio but I am equally concerned by the MAF sensor stuff and the chance of it sucking up liquid into the engine - Expensive mistake to make.

Sorry for hijacking thread but two questions:

1. The standard exhaust (I think) sounds fantastic, but the vast of majority of peeps upgrade to the Milltek. Is this in improvement or just different? I do not want to lose the boom at 2000 rpm. So resonated milltek or non resonated ? I also do not want roar at 80 mph on the motorway! Your opinions are appreciated pls!

2. The honeycomb grill on the right (looking towards car) has a few sections punched out and there is a device behind it with a hole in it. What the hell is it ?!

Thanks !!!!!! Kristian, proud silver R32 owner. The best ever!

[ QUOTE ]

Am i the only one who actually likes the motorway boom confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

....I don't think you are the only one. I quite like that slightly louder constant note when you hold about 3,200 revs (in the GTI with Non-Resonated Millteks). It's more of a drone than a boom and it's not over intrusive. I've never quite understood what is meant by exhaust "boom" unless on a boy-racer baked-bean can system.

[ QUOTE ]

I had the Carbonio pre SC and it gave a great result. If you search back through my threads you'll see the before and after dynos on here....result was pretty good, plus the thing sounded beautiful

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif Glad to see somebody else thinks the Carbonio is a good filter. Simply awesome sound.

Also if its got a form filter on the end instead of a stainless one I would worry about the MAF getting water \ dirt on it.

Once I had bought the Carbonio I had to remove the filter it came with and replace with a stainless steel protected one - this stops all the MAF trouble, 12month hassle free so far. wink.gif

Hey Niikme, Picked up my Mk4 R on friday as well actually. Got the guy to stay up till half 9 coz i wouldn wait any longer. I think if im not mistaken that behind the honeycomb where those holes are puched out is the temperature sensor to tell you on the dashboard the temp outside.

tspar, redrobin, i LOVE the boom. I dont want to lose it. Thats the point of my question. Not sure 'boom' is the right term either, its more of a low bassy, echoey noise of gasses bouncing about..... Ive read opinions that the resonated millteks reduce this noise - i would be unimpressed if this is the case!!!

Splendub, congratulations, awesome piece of engineering IMO! I have wanted one for ages! I will let you know how I get on with the milltek but Mook seems to understand a lot about them and going by his advice the milltek is gonna be awesome!!

ALSO, a lot of owners on the r32register claim a TDH upgrade? Anyone know what TDH stands for?? Its bugging the hell out of me!

Secondly, as part of my negotiation i got a discount based on the fact that the tyres have little life left in them. What should I be replacing them with for all round, all weather use ?

The resonated Milltek (i.e. with a centre silencer) is louder than the standard exhaust from outside the car. The design of the rear silencer means that the horrendous boom inside the car that the Mk4 R32 produces at around 2K rpm with the standard exhaust is eliminated.

It all depends if you want noise in the car, or you want to stick your head out of the window to hear your exhaust tongue.gif

On an unmodified R32, the straight-through Milltek centre section (which is installed in place of the Milltek centre silencer) doesn't increase the noise too much, but it is louder.

I ran the straight-through centre section on my Stage 4 for about a month and had to take it off - it was just too loud for every day use. Something to do with arriving at a hotel in Nottingham, and everyone, everyone turned around to see what the feck it was.

Unwanted attention isn't for me, but some people like it.

Niikme, I would suggest you try the Milltek with the centre silencer, then if you want it louder, get the straight-through - it's only about £130 extra.

[ QUOTE ]

TDH

[/ QUOTE ]

Which register? I'll take a look.

[ QUOTE ]

What should I be replacing them with for all round, all weather use ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 seem to be the flavour of most people on TsN.

Mook, im having a nightmare! a chap just contacted me and said he wasted 500+ on milltek stuff. the resonated is far quieter from inside the car than the stock, and the non resonated wakes the neighbours! he is now with the stock again. its kind of prompted a question, there is a comparison video on the milltek website - are these non resonated (straight thru) in your opinion ? Cheers Kris