Retro-fit front parking sensors?

Sponge

Does anyone know if retro-fitting the front parking sensors, when you already have the rears, is possible?

I fitted front and rear parking sensors to my dad's car and it was a simple case of fitting and routing the cables from the sensors to the control box. I was wondering if with my car already having the rear sensors, would it be a simple case of getting the fronts and connecting them to some sort of control unit? A unit that already has the rears connected and empty sockets for the fronts to hook up to. Or would that be wishful thinking?

Good question and sorry I can not tell you, but...

I have front and rear and I have a button on the dash beside the hazard warning button, to manually switch it on if I do not select reverse. I take it that there is no button on the dash to switch on or off manually if you have the rear park control only. In my mothers A3 Sportback she has rear but not front and there is no button on the dash. Also it was not an option front ones on the A3????

So you would need to buy the button and blank for the dash if you ask me.

Hope that has helped a little. 169144-ok.gif

Sponge - I think it is possible for sure, but I know you need the switch on/off button somewhere to mount on the dash.

It may just plug into the same control box. I know the rear park system I had fixed only had enough sensors for the rear park!

Chav, the Revers park control switches itself off after 10miles an hour and does not go on again until I either switch it on manually or select reverse.

So he may not need the switch but would have to select reverse before going forward into a space.

Surely the front sensors wouldn't be on the same circuit as the rears?

The rears activate when you select reverse (I have no separate switch) and the fronts will activate when you press a button (as you shouldn't really have them on all the time). So, if you remove the button/switch from the front sensor circuit, they'll be on all the time. I imagine this would only become an issue if you're permanently driving 2ft from someones bumper.

Or has Audi done it some more complicated way? confused.gif

You'll need a new control unit, new sensors, wiring loom for the front bumper and allot of careful drilling. Would be pretty expensive.

Or alterantively you could give £30 to you local driving instructor and they'll teach you how to park properly 169144-ok.gif

(flame suit on! grin.gif )

[ QUOTE ]

You'll need a new control unit, new sensors, wiring loom for the front bumper and allot of careful drilling. Would be pretty expensive.

Or alterantively you could give £30 to you local driving instructor and they'll teach you how to park properly 169144-ok.gif

(flame suit on! grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

The sensors don't come with their own wiring? A new control box? The gits make two different boxes depending on whether you spec just rears, compared to both front and rear? Feckers!

As for the driving comment. The sensors are quite obviously for my wife. UHOH7.GIF