Price tag of upto 12k......

Hopsta

[ QUOTE ]

Skoda Octavia Tdi. For 12k, good chance of an ex-demo or something with very low mileage, a DSG if that floats his boat.

Compared to its competitors, it's bigger, more comfortable, more practical and just as well (if not better) put together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends if he can put up with the skoda name and badge coffee.gif

Skodas are not better but together than Audi's and BM's!!! Flush.gif

When was the last time you went in a Skoda?

Skodas are just as well put together as Audis in my experience. They just use slightly cheaper materials where they can.

Did you know, when it comes to components used across the VAG range, because the manufacturing process never quite produces identical results they grade them in order of quality. Guess where the best ones go?

I realise some people still live in the dark ages when it comes to Skodas. As far as I'm concerned that's fine - let them spend more on something not as good.

[ QUOTE ]

When was the last time you went in a Skoda?

Skodas are just as well put together as Audis in my experience. They just use slightly cheaper materials where they can.

Did you know, when it comes to components used across the VAG range, because the manufacturing process never quite produces identical results they grade them in order of quality. Guess where the best ones go?

I realise some people still live in the dark ages when it comes to Skodas. As far as I'm concerned that's fine - let them spend more on something not as good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

I've been in a pre facelift Octavia a few times, sometimes for prolonged periods, the car has done over 160k miles and isn't showing signs of quitting. The build is incedibely good, I'd say equally as good as a Golf, maybe better, and obviously it's more comfortable. The facelited Octavia is even nicer.

Octavia Linky

There's also a Skoda Superb, which may even be better for motorway cruising.

Superb Linky

Superb is a better motorway cruiser, but unless he needs the space it's a bit big and heavy, hence not a great handler and thirstier than the Octavia.

Good friend of mine has a new model Octavia 1.9 TDi Ambiente DSG. He's as big a car enthusiast as any of us, but for his purposes it's absolutely perfect - a year and twenty-odd thousand miles on he simply can't fault it. And the build quality is absolutely top notch. He (or rather his company) paid £12.5k for it.

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see the Superb being a bit gutless with the 1.9 TDI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Botang would disagree. Based on a (100mm?) stretched Passat B5.5 facelift platform, the PD 130 engine and six speed gearbox is anything but gutless. Matt demonstrated graphically to me at MK when he brought the taxi-of-joy along for a change that it goes like a train. The Xenons looked gorgeous in my mirrors, visibly self adjusting over the bumps, but he didn't stay behind for long....

Ian yelrotflmao.gif

Volvo S60 D5.

Start around £6k for an older model, but £12k will get you a much newer/lower mileage 53/04 plate example. The SE spec is nice and the car will return easily over 50mpg on a longer journey.

The engine can be taken to 210bhp & 480NM with a simple map, and work to take this further is currently under development. Mines at 200bhp currently and I can get 55-60mpg all day long cruising on A-roads and motorways.

BMW 320d SE - 04, 50,000 miles on the clock - perfect car for this sort of requirement. Loads of them on Autotrader too.

BMW 330d SE - 02, 62,000 miles on the clock - all of the above and terrific performance too.

Both of the cars have stunning reliability, the best engines in their classes by a mile, excellent build quality and very good residuals (the 330d having exceptional residuals at that age moving forwards in particular).

Furthermore, great driving machines with lots of feedback. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

BMW 320d SE - 04, 50,000 miles on the clock - perfect car for this sort of requirement. Loads of them on Autotrader too.

BMW 330d SE - 02, 62,000 miles on the clock - all of the above and terrific performance too.

Both of the cars have stunning reliability, the best engines in their classes by a mile, excellent build quality and very good residuals (the 330d having exceptional residuals at that age moving forwards in particular).

Furthermore, great driving machines with lots of feedback. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

330d... I would be very tempted, but in manual only.. dove and auto recently and was not as impressed at all.

It is a bit of a head over heart purchase. But they're utterly bulletproof and I think very stylish in an understated way.

My only gripe with them was that the 2 litre 6 cylinder motor isn't exactly powerful and rather thirsty. I might have considered an IS300 a while back if it was a) available as a manual, and b) remotely sporty.

• 3 months later...