Jet Ski

Hopsta

A proper boat.

Jetski's are amazing fun, and very fast, but you have to wear a wet suit, you get soaked, and they're just a bit limited as to what you can do with them.

For what they cost nowadays (a lot) you could buy a small second-hand speedboat which is still fast and fun, but you can wear normal clothes, take a few mates or the girlfriend, and head off for the day. And you can waterski off a boat which is pretty awesome fun anyway.

I suppose it does depend where you go your boating though, if it's on a lake you've got limited options of where and how far you can go anyway so might as well have a jetski and maximum fun, but if you're able to trail it to the coast I'd have a boat every time, there's just so much more you can do with them.

I'm not knocking jetski's, they're ace, I just think you can have more fun with a boat, if less of an adrenalin hit maybe.

[ QUOTE ]

Sit down version or stand up, which is best ?

/discuss

sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW they are not generally Jetski's the correct term is PWC (Personal Water Craft) and are treated as boats from the purposes of law.

It all depends what you want to do with it, with a stand up you can do freestyle etc and get far wetter than on a sofa.

I have a Yamaha FX140 sit down which is a 3 seater. I can tow behind it, inflatables, Wakeboards, Water Skiers. They are quite a lot more stable than a stand up.

Most stand ups are 2 stroke engines with the exception of the Hydrospace which launched late last year. That's a 3 cylinder 750cc turbo 4 stroke.

Most of the later Yamaha sit downs are 4 strokes which use far less fuel, and i mean far less.

I wouldn't disagree with Ari re practicality and boats, i would love a bot but because i'm miles from the coast i chose the Jetski as my local lake is only a 25 minute drive which means i can go every night after work if i want to as it lives down there.

If you want more info on jetskiing take a look at www.pwcforums.co.uk as i think that there is only myself and Chris Rhodes on here who have ski's.

As a rule of thumb you are looking at about £1k per year before you even take it out, combination of insurance and club membership.

Jon.

I used to go out a lot of a stand up one. If you're gonna do it a lot then this is the way to go. If it's for occasional "hooning" around then go for the sit down.

Stand-ups take a lot of effort to master but are more rewarding when things start to go right.

Sit-downs are instant fun.

If you're thinking of taking this up then surely you've been out on one or the other so know this already?

Me know? I'd go for sit down as it's a lot less physical and easier to have instant fun plus you can share it.

i would only recomend a stand up if you have some1 to go out with?? Atleast with a 2/3 seater you can get the mates and the girls on the back! i had a seadoo xp 2 seater for a season and only changed to a boat cause i didnt have amy1 to go out with regulary! Ari,s right about the boats tho!! Now i spend the weekends in dry cloths and 5/6 mates enjoying blast,s up an down the loch:-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the pleasure of spending a lot of time on a seadoo RXDI (130hp), which is a sit down job. Very nice, very nice indeed... extremely quick, you can accelerate to near 70mph in about 4 secs!

However, whilst it's great on a lake (like Windemere until the day-tripping-rowing-boat-lovers got their way!), it can be a bit uncomfortable on the sea if it's rough.

I clearly remember an incident off the coast of Conwy (NW Wales) where I was having much fun jumping the waves, until my body started to hurt from the uncomfortable riding position. I lost concentration and flew 15ft in the air (according to my mate who watched me from our boat), and landed someway from the jetski. No serious injuries luckily, but it certainly made me think!

A couple of other points I'd mention though...

1) I've never liked the sit down jetskis (PWC!) that have that whale jet bit at the back... I much prefer the likes of Seadoos which exhaust the water backover.

2) If you're thinking of wakeboarding behind a jetski, forget it. Since they practically skim over the water, they hardly cause a wake... which for wakeboarding, is kind of important! ROLLEY~14.GIF

169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

1) I've never liked the sit down jetskis (PWC!) that have that whale jet bit at the back... I much prefer the likes of Seadoos which exhaust the water backover.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its meant to be a tell tale so your visable to others, standard on all yamahas im sure. Havent seen anything else use it.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Its meant to be a tell tale so your visable to others, standard on all yamahas im sure. Havent seen anything else use it.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct, it is for visibility and as you say is only fitted to Yamaha's as they patented it. It's actually quite good for getting people wet but is a pain in the ass when you are being towed behind the ski.

Jon.

• 1 month later...

Up until a couple of years ago I had a Kawasaki 750SX stand up, and I absolutely would recommend it to anyone.

A couple of my mates have sit down skis and I find them very boring after a while, they're great if you don't use them regularly, but if you're out most weekends then you soon become bored of just going fast!

If I was considering a new ski, it would definitely be a stand up! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Up until a couple of years ago I had a Kawasaki 750SX stand up, and I absolutely would recommend it to anyone.

A couple of my mates have sit down skis and I find them very boring after a while, they're great if you don't use them regularly, but if you're out most weekends then you soon become bored of just going fast!

If I was considering a new ski, it would definitely be a stand up! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the new Hydrospace? 4 stroke turbo standup smile.gif

Jon.

A boat, not a jet ski would be my choice everytime.

You can take more people on a boat, and stop and have lunch, fish, sunbathe etc etc etc and as said before the newer PWC (Personal Water Craft) are VERY expensive. The newer three seater ones with 1300cc enignes and turbos with also cost you a small fortune to service every year too.....

15ft rib with a 60hp engine instead.....

• 2 weeks later...