just what is clay bar?

Maxyboy

i think my friends think i'm a bit of a freak as i'm always at my car keeping it clean....but what exactly is a clay bar and what does it do differently....get a new r32 in two weeks in deep blue pearl...is clay bar something i should be looking to do....i have seen meguiars detailer in halfords...is this clay bar....looked in the box and thought i only seen a spray...im may be wrong....cheers folks beerchug.gif

A clay bar is just that - a bar of soft clay.

You use it with Quik Detailer spray.

It removes all kinds of gunk, muck and tree sap like contaminants from your paintwork, leaving it feeling as smooth as glass.

If you were to clay bar your drivers door for example, and then drag the palm of your hand from the passenger door over to the drivers door....you'd notice an incredible change in texture once you hit the drivers door.

The door will feel like the surface of glass, as opposed to what you previously thought was a smooth passengers door...which will actually feel extremely grainy and bumpy even.

I've nearly clay barred all of the TT - only six months old but it was filthy and is now nearly smooth all over. I did the roof yesterday - wow, its now like black glass. Front bits and sills left and then she is done! Could have finished yesterday but the Detailer spray ran out. ROLLEY~14.GIF

Don't forget after the clay bar to clean, polish and wax! znaika.gif

[ QUOTE ]

A clay bar is just that - a bar of soft clay.

You use it with Quik Detailer spray.

It removes all kinds of gunk, muck and tree sap like contaminants from your paintwork, leaving it feeling as smooth as glass.

If you were to clay bar your drivers door for example, and then drag the palm of your hand from the passenger door over to the drivers door....you'd notice an incredible change in texture once you hit the drivers door.

The door will feel like the surface of glass, as opposed to what you previously thought was a smooth passengers door...which will actually feel extremely grainy and bumpy even.

[/ QUOTE ] thanks for that........but....would you recommend clay baring my brand new car just yet or waiting a while....also.....does the clay bar come with the detailer.....and is the meguiars the recommended stuff? suicide.gif

Clay bar is a sticky elastic putty compound that removes industrial fallout from the paint surface without damaging it in any way.It will remove overspray and iron fillings fron train tracks also good for tree sap that has gone hard.

You dont need to use it on a brand new car 6 months or older i would say.

I use it daily and it is a very clever product to make the paint surface ultra smooth.

I'm assuming that's a typo crazy.gif ? Either that or you're working towards a bare metal respray wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ] so i presume from that that clay bar is a very stong abrasive....stronger than a t-cut i imagine...something that should be used rarely...but when used produces a deep shine?............i think confused.gif

not an abrasive, as you use a 'lubricant'. rather than a cuting compound which (correct me if im wrong) essentially repairs scratches by smoothing the pigment into the scratches, clay doesn't work on scratches, it removes contaminants - bird lime, industrial fallout, sap etc that bonds to the paint over time. It takes away whats on top, not repairing whats under thesurface of the clear coat. however, if not lubricated, it will scrach the poo out of your paint.

Clay bar is not for repairing scratches. It is too remove bonded contaminents from the paintwork that washing will not remove, such as sap, fallout and road grime, tar etc.

I would disagree that you should leave it 6 months as have done a few new cars and the crud you get off will amaze you. This is because new cars are not protected very well in transit and pick up all sorts at the docks and the dealers.

After you clay your car make sure you at the very least wax it as it will have removed most of this. Ideally you would want to polish glaze sealant then wax to do a proper job.

Hope this helps.

I clayed mine after about 3 weeks, made a huge difference. sadly it's hardly stopped raining since, so haven't had time to admire the work until it needs doing again. I plan a good wash and re wax soon, but it's piddling down again. No water shortage up here.

I had a mate visit from Surrey last week, and he was taking video of running water, couldn't quite understand the fuss.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully i can answer this,

Clay bars are a clay polybutene base with various levels of abrasives mixed in it. It is actually abrasively grinds the contamination off the surface. The clay shears off any foreign material above the level surface of the paint.

The clay bar is like a small highly flexible polishing pad.

Thats why you need lubricant so you don't damage the paint itself, just anything sticking up above the surface of it. There are also loads of different types of clay in terms of how aggressive they are. Meguiars is a fine clay, as is Clay Magic and then you have even finer ones such as Sonus Ultra Fine Clay which is gentle enough to be used between washes! (so no chance of marring the paint)