DTM or Special Edition ?

encee

Just starting out to look for my first A4, and I`m wondering which to go for, a new quattro Special Edition, or a slightly used DTM.

I know that both have the 220 PS engines, but is the DTM suspension better than the S-line suspension, and if so, in what way ?

The DTM is also better spec, both interior, and exterior, but the Special Edition would be brand new, and possibly for less money.

Thoughts, please, anyone ?

Are there any "slightly used" DTM's around? I asked the question when I bought my S Line SE a few weeks back and got a resounding no.

I think the S Line SE is by far the better value. The DTM spec is a bit patchy also. It's described as having "lowered sports suspension with spring and damper settings unique to this version" but also as "S line sports suspension" which is confusing.

Other than the different front air dam, Recaros and interior trim, I don't see much to warrant the hefty price premium over the S Line SE.

Yes mate, there are now a few appearing on the Audi used car locator.

The suspension on the website is described as "DTM suspension", and I just wondered if it was any different to the S-line suspension.

As well as the front air-dam, the rear valance is also slightly different, and there is a small carbon rear boot spoiler.

Inside gives you electric memory Recaros, and carbon-fibre trim (probably just carbon-look).

I`m just going off the website here, so if anyone else can enlighten me, I`d appreciate it.

go for a fully loaded standard S-Line, but add all the toys to it - gets around those AWFUL wheels you get with the SE. (Awful IMO of course - many do like them 169144-ok.gif)......

I still dont get the fuss over the SE and dont like the look of it at all. But im a stoopid northerner who has had too many bashes to the head grin.gif

Its a decision I took with my heart rather than my head. I was coming from a modified TT Roadster and still wanted something a bit 'different' the SE just didn't quite do it for me although it is a great value car.

I did have a standard spec sheet for the DTM which showed what it had over and above the standard spec but can't track it down. I suppose value for money would depend on whether you were planning to tick a lot of boxes on an SE. I know when I specced a Quattro Saloon SE it came out at just short of £30k - my DTM cost me £32,700. So in my head it cost me £3k more for: exclusivity of being one of 250 cars imported into the UK (i'm yet to see another on the road!); electric recaro's; carbon trim; individual bodykit; front and rear carbon spoilers etc etc

I'm happy with the deal jump.gif

DSC02999.jpg

DSC03000.jpg

There are 13 A4 DTM’s on Autotrader, between £26,495 (05 reg in Sprint Blue) and £29,995 (2006 55 reg in Silver). You can get a brand new S Line Quattro Special Edition for £23,800 so you’d have more than £2.5k to spend on extras. That sounds like a better option to me.

I can’t quite get my head around spending £26.5k on a 12 month old 4 cylinder A4, you can get a brand new 3.2FSI Quattro S Line for £26,600 or if you're happy to go used, an even better option would be an 04 reg S4 for £27k!!!

I assume that £33k included a shed load of options, as a new S4 would only be £36.5.... confused.gif

Yep shed load of options included...

I chose not to go for an S4 as was scared off by running costs - extra insurance, mpg etc.

Also the prices you quote for new cars are I presume for standard basic spec - how many people actually buy that spec - in reality I'm sure I would be adding at least £3-4k in options.

Yes, the new prices I've quoted are for standard cars. Although the S4 does get a few things that the S Line doesn't iirc e.g. Xenons, DIS, Interior Light Pack etc.

Personally I'd rather have a 4.2 litre V8 and a map instead of Sat Nav and listen to a V8 engine rather than a Bose stereo, but each to his/her own grin.gif

Says the guy with the Diesel.... crazy.gif

You can get a special edition with heated seats, armrest interior light package, dimming mirrors and Nav+ for £25k after discount.

So a used 55 plate DTM with Nav+ wants to be around the same pride really, don't think it will command a premium over the S-Line in another 3 years to be honest, and I think this was the gripe with the DTM owners, the Special Edition has sort of devalued it over night.

I personally would get a 6 month old S4, 19-20mpg instead of 24-26mpg on the 2.0T, so what!? wink.gif

Ditto, plus I have 3 DTM's near me and I've only seen one other S4 in my area, 2 if your count DJBS4.

Plus for £under list price I also got £2K worth of extra's on the car which I imagine you couldn't haggle on the DTM considering ther price you paid on it.

As for running costs, 3-4 mpg ain't worrying me, insurance is about an extra £50 but V8's are so much more fun.

I seem to remember (unless I was dreaming) that there wa sa thread on here when the DTM's were first announced on how close a specced version would be to an S4 and would it be worth it.

However when all is said, each to their own.

Thanks for all the (varied) points of view, gents.

Still a hard one to call for me, as I like the appeal of having the Spec Ed S-line brand new, especially seeing as it has most of the toys, and the all-important 220 PS upgrade. As discussed, however, the spec on the DTM is even better, but is it worth the extra premium ? The DTM is also relatively exclusive though, and probably even more so now, as who is going to buy one new, now that Audi have brought out the Spec Ed S-line ? Maybe a bit of an "own goal" by Audi, as gizze rightly points out. Having said that, it may make good sense to buy a used DTM now, as they should hold their value quite well, due to the numbers released ?

It`s also noted that some of you lads are mentioning the S4. Much as I would love one, the B7 model (forgive me if I`m wrong, as I`m still getting used to the model designations on the A4 blush.gif) is probably out of my budget, as they seem to be just over 30k for a late `05 model, and I wanted to buy as new a model as I could, really. I know some of you may not agree with that, and its just my opinion, but if I`m spending 25k+ on a car, I want to buy as new as I can get. Yeah, I realise that you can`t sacrifice getting what you want just for "new-ness", but I`d be more than happy with the Spec Ed S-line, or the DTM (or at least I presume-so, as I`ve not driven one yet.)

Roll on Friday...................... 169144-ok.gif

The 2.0TDI engine is undoubtedly a good diesel engine and is deceptively quick, particularly when you’re only using part throttle and don’t go over 3,000rpm, but compared to an S4 you’d think you’d left the handbrake on and the turbo had failed! yelrotflmao.gif

I’m sure the 2.0TDI S-Line Avant driver (I hope it wasn’t one of you guys!) felt the same way after he’d been (quite dangerously actually) tailgating me when I was out in the 130. I only used 4th gear when I could have used 3rd, but he was a dot in the mirror very quickly. At least he was until he came screaming past well north of 100mph....

No offence intended btw 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's just what Mr A4 thought as I disappeared into the distance... grin.gif

Me? I was too busy laughing jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! I love it when you do that to a tailgater! smashfreakB.gif

The 3ltr BM' 6 pot is a fantastic engine but I'll never be able to get the hang of the 1.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

Yes, it is an acquired taste and one that took me a long time to acquire!

I wouldn’t touch a light coloured one on standard wheels with a barge pole, but a black Sport on 17” wheels looks pretty good and our Le Mans Blue M Sport looks fantastic imo.

I was quite keen on the A3 Sportback (3.2 S-Line), but my wife thought it was bland and looked like and estate and when I drove one I was very disappointed.

I would post a picture of our 130, but this isn’t really the right place!

Nothing wrong with Estate cars, just not what she wanted!

I happen to think quite a lot of cars look better in Estate form (A4, A6, 5 Series, all Volvos etc) and have had a few over the years. I decided to go for a saloon this time, because a 600 litre boot gives me enough space and I preferred the Passat Saloon looks wise.