Why you should never leave valuables in your car

drpellypo

[ QUOTE ]

Latest thing is if they spot a satnav bracket stuck to the screen; they will break in to see if you have stashed it in the glovebox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no, I think you'll find that's been around since the day dash-mount sat nav systems were invented! It's a natural progression from mobile phone antennas.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Latest thing is if they spot a satnav bracket stuck to the screen; they will break in to see if you have stashed it in the glovebox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um no, I think you'll find that's been around since the day dash-mount sat nav systems were invented! It's a natural progression from mobile phone antennas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - the latest thing is if they spot a satnav bracket suction mark on the screen. No bracket, no wires, no sat nav on display.

Ian coffee.gif

Or in actual fact, billy car thief just smashes your window when nobody is looking as there's a good chance there's at least something of value in there anyway, regardless of suction marks/cradles etc etc. Bare in mind this is their job. They do it full time. If you leave a quid in your car, and they smash the window, it takes less than a minute. Do 10 of them an hour, and you're starting to get a decent wage.

[ QUOTE ]

Or in actual fact, billy car thief just smashes your window when nobody is looking as there's a good chance there's at least something of value in there anyway, regardless of suction marks/cradles etc etc. Bare in mind this is their job. They do it full time. If you leave a quid in your car, and they smash the window, it takes less than a minute. Do 10 of them an hour, and you're starting to get a decent wage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make a fair point there actually.

Looks like I have a new job jump.gif

I really do not understand people's mentality where leaving stuff on show in their car is concerned. It's not about valuable stuff, it's about *anything*. How much does a brick cost? Nowt, that's how much. How much is 50p parking change worth? 50p more than a brick, that's how much.

[ QUOTE ]

Even in a well lit car park!

Severe WW on the language. This guy doesn't appear to say anything for the duration of the vid other than swear words.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a complete and utter tw*t. Why the feck do people like this learn to breathe?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed - the latest thing is if they spot a satnav bracket suction mark on the screen. No bracket, no wires, no sat nav on display.

Ian coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as a victim of exactly this crime, I can confirm this is correct. And having just taken the p1ss out of Leics police, I thank them for nicked the scumbag who did it, and giving him 2 years for a string of similar offences. Also, thanks for accidentally letting me know who is is and where he lives, so I can give him a f*cking good hiding when he finally gets out .... SMOKE6.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Good news with him being nicked!! 169144-ok.gif

We [Autoglass] replaced the doorglass iirc?

Don't know your vrn or name hence was unable to 'follow progress' of your job from the comfort of Autoglass HQ.

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure who did the glass, missus took care of it while took the golf for the day. They did a good job anyway, but I am still finding bits of glass from the break-in months on ! Yes, very nice to know they got nicked too. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that would be Johny Scagg Head. Who unfortunately you can do little about.

Billy car thief, for who it's a job, generally learns that smashing 10 windows in a car park yields very little and increases his chances of getting caught.

Billy car thief who your also more likely to encounter, will look out for things like:

- Visible change, even 50p. As it shows the owner doesn't put much thought into theft prevention.

- Bags, jackets left in plain view. For the same reason as above. And also because you tend not to think about whats in them. Far more likely to leave a wallet in your jacket by mistake, then deliberately leave it in the glove.

- Company car park logo's. If its a tech company there's a strong chance there will be a laptop in the boot.

- Signs of A/V equipment. Cradles, face off systems, even bloody stickers.

- What you've got in the trunk, when you open it to get something before you leave. Waiting around for 30 mins to get a peak of what you've got in the trunk beats random smash and grabs.

You can't guarantee your car will be safe, but you can make it less desirable.

- NEVER leave ANYTHING in plain view.

- If you want a Sat NAV, try and go for OEM. Might cost you more, but its worth alot less to the thief.

- Remove company car park badges, etc.

- Stick to OEM systems.

- And never open your trunk to get anything out before you leave the car. I will actually move my car to another car park/street if i'm forced to open my trunk and show that i've got something in there.

And also be carefull where you park.

I've learnt much of this through either personal experience, or that of friends/colleagues.

As the victim, not the thief laugh.gif

If everyone put the face-off in their pocket, thieves wouldn't bother. Sadly too many people don't. We've all done it - I certainly have in the past.

Whilst my current car doesn't have a face-off design, if I'm in a car that does, I'll get out the car with it my hand so any 'watchers' lurking in the car park can see there is no point in bothering.

Ian