Those stickers for headlights when driving abroad.

Golfgirl

I'm off to the Ring at the weekend and need some of those stickers to put on my headlights to prevent dazzling the Europeans...

...Or do I? Is there a switch or lever on R32 Xenons that does the job for me?

And if I need to get the stickers, are Halfords just the same as I would get from VW or are they model specific (because I doubt the dealer would have them in stock and I don't have time to wait for them to come in as I'm leaving tomorrow night).

I went without them last year but got flashed a few times as I was dazzling oncoming traffic.

If I remember correctly, xenons need to be changed by a dealer.

When I went to LM last year in my Fabia vRS (with xenons), there were also some R32s and other cars with xenons.

We all just used the Halfords sticky things. They keep you within the law, but are fairly innefectual really. It's a bit selfish, but at least you are legal.

Just be careful taking them off, they can leave a horrible residue on the lens!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There is a switch/lever at the back of the light but it is a bu**er to get to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible though without too much work? Bearing in mind I have girly sized fingers and not your chunky man fingers grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Size doesn't matter, its what you do with them that counts! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

There is a switch/lever at the back of the light but it is a bu**er to get to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it possible though without too much work? Bearing in mind I have girly sized fingers and not your chunky man fingers grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Size doesn't matter, its what you do with them that counts! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case then, will I be able to flick my switch with them?! wink.gif

If you can't sor out how to 'switch over' the Xenons, have a look at the diagram on the Halford 'stickers' and then just mask out the same area with strips of black masking tape. Worked for me - I was never flashed and the French policman who checked me area in a motorway service area was satisfied.

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

From UKMKIVs - http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/580340.aspx

Apparently there IS a lever on the MkIV - not going to Europe in the car so haven't tried looking for it...

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother. Even my girly fingers couldn't get into the minute gap to fiddle around openfire.gif

Next time I'm going to buy some headlight protectors and put the stickers on them and then remove them when I get home again 169144-ok.gif

As it happens only one person flashed me all weekend. wink.gif

I have bought the Halford stick-on 'shields' in the past. They are easy to get off if you leave the lights dip/main-beam on for a few minutes to soften the adhesive. Could even re-use them.

Now I just mask the same area with two layers of masking tape. Don't get flashed and satisfied the French police.

Mate you will never get caught. I did a trip through part of Europe a month or so ago (1200 miles) and never bought any of that bollox except for the GB. I never saw one cop on the road and got the car well beyond 150, no probs, plenty more to go, you will have loads of fun...