To milltek or not

ksteed

thought I would put a milltek resonated cat back on my A3 sportback as I wanted chrome pipes at the rear. Anyone out there had it done as I dont want it to sound like a bloody hot rod when driving around. A slight hum would be nice but nothing more, dont want to go to all the trouble and hate the noise. Help anyone suicide.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's louder than standard, but it's not annoying and it doesn't drone at all. To be honest, I expected it to be louder, which is what put me off having it done at first. From the outside it sounds brilliant, and when you're really opening it up it gives a little pop and a burble between gear changes. I spend all day in the car and although it is louder, it's nothing to complain about at all 169144-ok.gif

Millteks are first and foremost 'performance exhausts' and absolutely not boy-racer/baked bean can etc. Their sound will usually mature after about 1,000 miles. Bonus is that they are high quality stainless steel with very long warranty (for as long as you own the car).

Each system is hand-made and they'll willingly sort out any problems should you get any. Also, if you use one of their listed approved suppliers, they'll fit for free.

IMO this all adds up to something you won't regret. And no, I don't work for Milltek (even though some of their staff thought I did and wondered why they hadn't met me yet! - True!! Their MD told me).

I can confirm this. I've just had a minor issue rectified under warranty by one of the Audi centres local to me, and the Milltek cat-back system was not even mentioned. The car is Audi 'approved used' and was supplied with the exhaust already fitted (by its previous owner I assume).

If I hadn't been fortunate enough to find a car with the system already in place, I would be getting one installed as a priority. 169144-ok.gif

Fitting a Milltek has the same impact on warranty as any other mod.

i.e. If a future fault is caused by it then it won't be covered. If a future fault is nothing to do with the mod then it will.

Of course an exhaust is probably the least affecting mod you can do so i'd say it's extremely safe...and very worthwhile. wink.gif

Just had my first ever Milltek fitted yesterday smile.gif

Would say there's maybe 5-10 bhp released from the engine, it has taken 100-200 miles for the ECU to "learn" the fact that exhaust gases can flow more freely. And of course there's the small matter of the NOISE.

The main difference I have noticed is the throttle response and that the engine pull feels so much stronger right the way up.

Definitely a good quality product 169144-ok.gif

Completely agree with that. The standard system on my A4 was very restrictive and it now runs much better and has a fair bit more grunt lower down in the rev range - it feels like the torque has hiked a little.

It's definately quicker than it was, the noise is fantastic (just been for a good blast actually!) and it just feels sportier to drive.

Worth every penny IMO 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

thought I would put a milltek resonated cat back on my A3 sportback as I wanted chrome pipes at the rear. Anyone out there had it done as I dont want it to sound like a bloody hot rod when driving around. A slight hum would be nice but nothing more, dont want to go to all the trouble and hate the noise. Help anyone suicide.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You won't regret it one bit. They sound lovely, feel lovely, and drive lovely. You can drive the car with a light right foot and it'll sound almost stock - even when you open it up all you get is a nice muted roar with some turbo 'whoosh' thrown in! laugh.gif

I too am very happy with my Milltek Cat' back. As Shark says it's complimented my Re-Map perfectly - Faster spool-up, less lag, smoother, more low down torque and midrange. Lovely 169144-ok.gif

BUB beerchug.gif

My Milltek was fitted at AmD. The silencers don't line up properly at the moment (very difficult to get them to though!) and I think it's blowing ever so slightly at the front. Spoke to Jo who said nip it back in, but that's difficult being 130 miles away.

Bear in mind I have an A4 with twin exhausts, and it's notoriously hard to get the tips to be smack in the middle of the exits in the bumper. My the nearside one is noticeably off to the left, the offside one is slightly to the right. It's not been adjusted since it was fitted and obviously movement is expected as it beds in 169144-ok.gif

Tell you what Shark, I'd be taking it back. Paying that sort of money for a Milltek, I'd want them alligned properly. I bought a 'more economical' version and they are alligned perfectly and even when one slightly dropped they took it back in and alligned it in 5 minutes.