AMD - v - REVO

khutula

So which one is better? I've only owned my MkIV R32 for a few weeks but from what I have read there seems to be a move away from AMD firmly towards the REVO camp.

So what do people think?

I was lucky enough to already have a Milltek exhaust - so I'm looking to take the best advantage of my head start....

I have the AmD re-map and have been more than pleased with it. However, the last time I went to AmD, when the Revo map was just released even AmD admitted the Revo map produced better results. If I was doing it again, id probably go down that route. 169144-ok.gif

But as said, I am very, very pleased with mine beerchug.gif

It depends what you want to do. If you just want a remap and maybe a Milltek exhaust, it would be hard to chose ROLLEY~14.GIF

If you want to start doing more to the car, or going for custom remaps based on specific mods (e.g. cams, CCAIs, FPRs etc.), you would probably be best going with AmD.

The only way to find out what delivers more is to find two cars which have been modified almost identically and run them both on the dyno side-by-side, so that'll be mine and DeckedR32's then...

ok Mook, if no one else is going to ask then i will.

Who does have the most power, yourself or Decked? FIREdevil.gif

But it's not all about power is it, Revo make a strong claim about the inmproved all round drivability with their upgrades, how does the AMD software compare lower down the rev range?

I personally think it would be very close, the AMD chip is setup for the car so should be pretty good. Revo have tried to explain this to me but the Revo remap self adjusts to conditions/parameters of the current status of the car as it normally would on a stock ECU map, (all they do is change the parameters) this is why it takes some time to settle in. Mook will have a better understanding....

[ QUOTE ]

Who does have the most power, yourself or Decked?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got no idea until they're both on the dyno.

Does it worry me? Erm, no. We both took different routes. I chose AmD because they could do everything for me, including installing the cams, Milltek and applying the remap that was specifically developed to maximise the bhp and torque for the Schrick 268 cams. There's also the other engine mods to take account of as well.

[ QUOTE ]

But it's not all about power is it, Revo make a strong claim about the inmproved all round drivability with their upgrades, how does the AMD software compare lower down the rev range?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're correct that it's not all about power, it's also about torque and how the power and torque are delivered. Every remap is different, but you won't get as much noticeable difference on normally aspirated cars. You'll get a massive difference between remaps if you're running a turbo'd car, like the GTI 2.0T, because some remaps give you maximum torque at 2K rpm, whereas others deliver it more slowly over a 1K rev range.

I've not driven an R32 with the Schrick cams, full Milltek and the REVO remap, so I can't comment on the difference between the two - I can comment that the AmD ST4+ kicks in from about 1,500 rpm and just keeps going right up to 6,500 rpm - it's very linear, although there is a kick at around 4,000 rpm, but that is to do with the variable intake butterfly valve that all the Mk4 R32s have.

HTH

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

slightly of topic here Mook, but did i see somewhere that the shrick cams are no good if you wanna fit a supercharger at sometime?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to define "Schrick cams" a bit more closely. The 264 and 268 profile cams that AmD supply as part of their Stage 4 upgrade aren't suitable for a supercharger or turbo upgrade. The lift is too high and the duration is too long. Schrick do, however, supply the cams for the supercharger upgrade. Helfinger runs these on his car now withe the VF upgrade.

So it's an expensive option to go Stage 4, then supercharger later, because you have to swap out the cams - but then that does come down to your own definition of expensive - £600 for the cams, plus labour.

Money versus stupid fun? I know which I prefer... tongue.gif

i reckon on here we probably all think the same or we'd be driving around in protons wouldn't we?

still debating whether to get the cams, or wait and see if the VF upgrade is the way to go.

There are still plenty of ways to spend though, ARBs next, then HPP, brakes, coilovers............. jump.gif

There again i do keep seeing a lovely RS4 locally, and for a few extra quid!!! ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]

There are still plenty of ways to spend though, ARBs next, then HPP, brakes, coilovers...........

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. You can get a shed load more out of your car if you uprate the drivetrain and suspension.

Problem is, I've done all of that as well... ROLLEY~14.GIF