Contact lenses of agony

AvantSE

Bloody contact lenses ROLLEY~14.GIF

Been out today and got loads of dust blown in my eyes - this wouldn't be a problem normally but for the last 10 years or so I have had to wear hard contact lenses to correct an eye condition called keratoconus. Unfortunately, glasses won't work and soft lenses (which are presumably more comfortable) won't work either.

Apart from the daily routine of using 957 different solutions to clean the damned things, the slightest bit of dirt going in my eye causes loads of grief.

Anyone else on here wear rigid lenses? And if so, do you have the same problem?

Me too!

Try and wear sunglasses if its windy and always have some of those comfort drops with you is all you can do. Apart from taking the fkn things out like I do.

Hate the bloody things, but I have got the same condition as you (which is quite rare) and its either the lenses or a cornea transplant - with a 25% failure rate.

confused.gif

And with Keratoconus the lenses have to be fitted tight to push your cornea flat, making them particularly uncomfortable ~ especially when you are a sensitive, blonde haired, blue eyed god sort (like me) grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

This is why I'll always stick with glasses, I don't think I could be bothered will all the hastle that contacts bring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, with this particular condition, I don't have the choice of glasses. I don't think I would bother with contact lenses if I didn't have to have them. Mine are hospital prescribed, at one point I was having to attend every 3 months for a check-up. Now I am down to once every 6 months.

Even with sunglasses on today, I managed to get something in my eye as I was walking through a field and there was the slightest of breezes. What a nightmare.

Still, a while ago I had problems with the fitting of one lens and it had a propensity to dislodge and cause pain when I was driving - not good.

Best solution I have found so far is to take them out, keep them as clean as possible, and try to get plenty of ZZZ.gif

Worst bit is when you have to put them into your sore eyes the following day - ouch.

Yes gas permiable here, and yes, agony when you get dust in there! SAUER0421.GIF

Also I can wear them all day, but come evening I've had enough and switch to glasses. Likewise, night driving needs to be glasses really.

I do like the ability not to have to wear glasses though, after about 30 years of glasses wearing.

Used to have hard lenses - what a nightmare and I completely feel for you - continual problems and quite dangerous in some driving situations I found - now soft lenses and the improvement is immeasurable - no blood shot eyes and painful grit incidents!

Soulboy, I have tried the drops and sometimes they do help quite a bit.

I tend to drive with no aircon going (both because I am tight-fisted, and also because this dries my eyes out), as well as doing what you suggest - no top air vents open.

I used to be into mountain biking and am thinking of getting a new bike this summer, but I suspect I will have to wear wraparound shades/clear lens all the time to stop crap from getting in my eyes.

Still not entirely sure where this eye condition comes from though.

I know that it won't work for everyone and obviously not if you have an eye problem, but the best thing I ever did was to have laser surgery on my eyes. Although partly I did it for vanity, I also did it for practical reasons. I was very very short sighted -9.5 and -8.5 if that means anything to you. can't believe the difference it made.

I'm not convinced with the long term effects with lazer eye surgery, they may say it improves vision but will you need to revert back to a pair of glasses as you get older?

I've yet to meet an optometrist that's had it done.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not convinced with the long term effects with lazer eye surgery, they may say it improves vision but will you need to revert back to a pair of glasses as you get older?

I've yet to meet an optometrist that's had it done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose it depends on just how bad your sight is as to how you feel about having it done. Also just how many optometrists have you met?! grin.gif

I used to go out with an optometrist. She turned out to be a psycho-bitch-stalker, but she knew all about eyes and she used to practice turning my eyelid inside out (v.nasty). Basically you don't come across optometrists who have had corrective eye surgey for the following reasons:

- They know what can go wrong and have seen the results and they feel that the failure rate is on the high side;

- The long term effects of successful are almost unknown and it is unclear how easy future correction will be if required;

- It is hardly in their interest to recommend something that reduces the likelihood of people needing to see an optometrist!

AND ANOTHER THING...

Why is it I can't get hold of any saline solution for love nor money? Tried a big branch of Boots near York, about 4 supermarkets, and a couple of chemists - can't find a single bottle.

Tonight will be interesting, going to have to rinse my lenses in storage solution after cleaning. Expensive way to do it.

Tesco's usually stock saline. No, I don't work for them. tongue.gif

All I use are Acuvue daily disposables & Comfort drops when they get cruddy or dry.

A while ago they were trying out rubber rings inserted into the eyeball to alter the shape of the eye & correct any distortion. Did this ever work out commercially or have lasers kicked this one into touch?