Clay bar action...

Sponge

I clayed my car, well, the bonnet and front wings, for the first time yesterday and I was just wondering what action do you use?

The instructions simply said wipe it over the paintwork. So, I used loads of lubricant and started using a simple one-way drag. I then tried rubbing, lightly, back and forth. Either seemed ok as long as I used enough lubricant.

That brings me to my second question: do you wipe away the lubricant immediately? As it was my first time I used loads of the stuff and I intended to wash the area afterwards so I left it until I'd finished the area. Parts of it dried, but after washing it looked ok and felt nice and smooth.

I have to admit there wasn't much dirt on the clay. But then again, the car is only 6 months old and I've washed it every week since new.

I used Megs stage 1 and 2, then NXT wax afterwards and it looks ace. (Might post some pics later.) But there's a small area on the bonnet, the size of a pound coin, that looks suspiciously like a stain left by bird poo! It won't budge. Hopefully it shows in the pictures and someone can offer some advice on how to remove it.

I just use the straight up and down action. (Is all this starting to sound a bit odd...?)

I once watched a demo by some guys from Zymol and they did the same.

Re: the stain. If you've used a clay bar and the Megs 3 stage I think you may be stuck with it frown.gif

I just did the Roof and Bonnet of the A2 we bought recently. Clay bar, Stage 1,2 and 3. Looks awesome but have one or tiny very small marks I would like to get out.

I would suggest trying Meg's Scratch-X on it. I would have done so myself if my brother did not have it in the boot of his car whilst on holiday!

You would need to use it after the Clay and Stage 1. You put it on similar to normal polish but then rub it in until it disappears. The particles within it break down as you rub it more getting finer as you rub so it is very important that you keep going to no sign of it on the paint.

Is very good for swirls and light scratches, etc.

BEATEN TO IT BY CRAGIEBOY!

Definately move the clay in a forward and back motion with pleany of lubricant. The clay should just glide over the surface with no sticking.

I then just follow the area up with a microfibre to remove excess. Theres no need to completely remove it if you are polishing.

Cheers Tim

What, the crop? Shall I pan out a bit?

It's a macro lens, so well within focussing range. Just a shame it was too shiney to auto-focus and I'm crap at manual. slap.gif Why don't modern lenses have that little central focus zone in them anymore? SAUER0421.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

Close up of mark.

830221-_MG_9101.jpg

If you rub your finger across it, even with an fingernail, you can't even feel anything. frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I have seen these before its one of those google maps of his house [taken from Mars] yelrotflmao.gif

the only way i have found to truely get rid of the marks left by brid poo is to wetsand the paint in that area to flatten the lacquer and then machine polish with a fine abrasive to return the shine before re waxing.

I dont recommend trying it yourself though unless yo uhave used a machine polisher before.

[ QUOTE ]

To remove the etching i would suggest Scratch X is a good choice for small localised repairs like that.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...?threadid=1516

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent thread. Just the job. 169144-ok.gif

As for the other replies - fekr.gif You do realise I will now have to spend hours setting up my tripod and camera to get a better shot of the stain, just to redeem myself. smirk.gif