advice needed re estate car ..twins on the way....

Alphamail

We have two cars, a 130i MSport and a 330 convertible. We have to chop one if not both of the cars in for an estate car for twins due in Octovber.

My mate has a really nice Audi A4 3.0 diesel estate in black with all the bits. However, he tells me that it is not big enough for his needs ie going away for weekend with one baby, nanny, her indoors and accessories/luggage. It gave me a bit of a shock because it means I have to go for a bigger car.

I will test drive the usual suspects, however, I am wondering about the new Chrysler 300 diesel estate which has had pretty good reviews...Clarkson recently raved about it in the STimes.

Any feedback would be most welcome re the Chrysler and any other recommendations.

Thanks

What!! not big enough? how big's the nanny is all I can say!? - and why take her away for weekends? grin.gif (the wife must be very "open-minded"!) I would have thought the A4 estate would be big enough...just don't fill it with so much baby crap! Having kids is no excuse to go for a boring car, you just have to be a bit more creative. How about an RS6 avant if you're chopping both cars in?........ Or, get yourself something like a used 530d estate, and a used Elise/Caterham for the weekend! jump.gif

I knew I could rely on you guys for sensible advice! Surprised no one mentioned the F1 enginned Renault Espace which I saw at both Le Mans and Silverstone a few years back! That would dust anyone to the shops and back.

I would love an RS6, I just feel a little worried about my driving, I don't trust myself I'm afraid.

The BMW seems to be a good option I'll go take a test drive.

I'm not sure I can let go of my 130, I'm having so much fun.

If you want a compromise then how about something like an Accord 2.4 tourer & keep the 130. Plenty of room, reasonable prices, not too slow and wuld hopefully be fairly well built/reliable.

On the 130, any good/bad things to report. I'm kind of toying with the idea of a 130 M-Sport to replace a Civic Type-R but at the moment I'm struggling to decide on whether I can live the the 130's faults.

Accord 2.4.. I'll have a look and test drive thanks D1MAC. What are the faults you refer to re 130?

Trouble Loddrick is estates and babies mean careful considerate driving which is not in my nature! I saw a Ferrari estate in Sloane Square the other month.

I'm probably thinking about things too much but the things that come to mind are:

1] Lack of room - Rear room is a common moan. I don't really carry many passengers but Sod's law says it will crop up. Plus I wonder a bit about room at the front as I'm not that little frown.gif

2] Interior plastics - I know it might be a bit rich for a Civic owner but some of them look a little wobbly (on TV at least).

3] The big one - the looks - I probably don't hate it as much as many and I often think they weren't that far away but sometimes I still see a 1.gif and think NONO3.GIF

Apart from that just wondering if there is anything else that sticks out good or bad. I guess I'm struggling to find alternatives given the constraints I have and the 130 seems the best bet.

I must confess I haven't had more than a cursory glance in the flesh as yet but the time to decide is fast approaching.

I am 6'3 and have no probs. the rear is a problem if you have to carry adults in the back regularly which i don't.

My son is 6'4 and sits in the back and suffers, but it's very rare for me to carry rear passengers for a long distance. When i think about it my wife's 330 convertible has enough leg room for a couple of amputees so i guess we're not that sociable.

the interior is superb, go sit in an A3 and look and feel the dash board it is so christmas cracker cheap compared to the 130.

Looks, I think you are right it is a difficult one. the higher the spec the better it looks. I call it character which is something which evades a lot of computer designed cars these days.

I took a real punt on the 1 series, i had a 120d msport first and after a year of great fun (post divorce had to chop in the S6) swapped for the 130 and have had so much fun on the windy roads.

It took a lot of stick when it first came out, i felt a bit lepperish, however, things have changed and a week doesn't go by without someone asking me about it because they are seriously thinking about getting one.

there's another 130 msport in my road which now pisses me off!

I'd be keeping the 130 and getting something like the Accord Tourer (although I don't like the rear). You can pick up the 2.4 Executives for silly money, just make sure it has 17" wheels as the 16s look very small on the Estate. How about the new Passat Estate? I'm very pleased with mine (Saloon).

D1MAC - I agree with James' comments about the 130. I'm 6'3 and have no problem at all fitting in the front. I agree that the rear isn't exactly spacious, but our two children fit in fine and we can even get a double pushchair in the boot! I also think the interior is great, particularly with leather. There are a couple of iffy bits of plastic (glove box lid and sun visors), but it feels more sports car than family car inside.

As for looks, some people love it and some hate it. The M Sport pack makes a huge difference imo and at least it couldn't be called boring!

In summary I wouldn’t believe everything you read or see on the TV, you need to go and have a good look at one and make up your own mind.

Cheers Gents 169144-ok.gif

I actually went to a local dealer this afternoon for a bit of an actual prod/poke/sit in rather than a quick glance from a distance. Unfortunately, it raied as many questions as it gave answers.

I agree on the interior - it's generally pretty good in fit & finish terms. Only the bits you mentioned, plus the dashpod looked a bit on the cheap & nasty side.

What I don't understand is how you guys get in it - it's a bit small!!! I'm actually a little shorter than 6'3/4(but possibly on the more 'robust' side ???) and inside it reminded me in size of my old 'bubble' Rover 200 - neither here nor there in terms of size for a class. I could just about get somewhere close to comfortable but the wheel felt a bit too close and the top of the screen a bit low. I do like to be quite upright but the seat just didn't go back far enough. Also, this turned it into a definite 3 seater blush.gif

I also tried an E90 and while it was better, it wasn't any bigger than the Civic inside (but it's even dearer than the 1.gif and I'm not sure I want to commit so much cash!).

I tried a Golf as well and that was a decent amount better (but the cloth seats are dung.gif - tartan I don't mind but the grey cloth bits are dreadful.

So, unless I can live with being cramped for 18-24 months then it looks like the 130 is out and I have to put my thinking cap on again confused.gif

I really don't have a problem at all re getting in and out, I guess it's down to personal stuff.

I have just returned from Wales and bloody hell it really is a fun car to drive (130)

I did test drive the Chrysler and I have to say that Clarkson is absolutely right it is amazing. It drives like a Bentley, the extras are extraorinary all thrown in and the Merc diesel is quiet and as smooth as my head.

I know the usual suspects win overall but 27500 quid for an extremly capable car. I could keep the 13o ponse around in the 300.

I know what you are going to say but it really is a car out of the mould of the usual yank crap.

I will take your advice Martin and test drive the Honda and the Beemers, Mercs, Audis etc.

James – My dad had a good long look at the 300 before going for an E Class. I don’t know what your budget is, but he bought a E280CDI Avantgarde Estate with full leather, heated seats, phone kit, mats, 7 seat option and a couple of other things for just over £31k. The list price of his car was around £38k, which makes it a bargain in my book. It has a lot more as standard than the equivalent Audi/BMW as well, such as Xenons, interior light pack, part leather seats, electric seats, folding mirrors, Automatic gearbox, metallic paint etc etc.

He thought the E Class drove better, the engine is obviously the same (but more powerful in the 300), but the E Class has the 7 speed auto and a better ride (in his opinion). It is also a better bet residually if that matters.

James - It was new. Mercedes had two offers going in April, one was a free upgrade from Classic trim to either Elegance or Avantgarde, the other was a free upgrade from Saloon to Estate. Surprisingly you could take advantage of both deals. Then you could have the normal discount on top...!

His is the one of the pre-facelift models, which explains some of the discount, but the most important thing is that it has the new 6 cylinder engine and the 7 speed box. It also has a number of changes over his 2004 E270, so it looks like it is almost a half way house. It certainly didn't seem worth waiting for the new model (which looks pretty much the same) and paying £5-6k for the privilege!

I’ve just had a quick look on Broadspeed and they are offering the facelift E280CDI Avantgarde estate for £36k, so not much of a saving. Remember that is does come with Metallic paint, Xenons, part leather etc though. Maybe MB still have some pre-facelifted cars around that they could do a deal on?

Another idea, how about an A6 Avant? Again, I don’t know your budget, but the spec has been increase recently so even the most basic model gets 17” alloys, automatic AC plus, MF wheel, cruise control, DSP sound system (10 speakers, 160 watt) etc. The 2.0TDI and 2.0T models also come with Sat Nav and CD Autochanger as standard.

A 2.0T Avant SE would be something in the region of £25k with metallic paint. You could have a 2.7TDI (V6) manual for £26.5k or the 3.0TDI Quattro for £30k.

It’s a nice looking car and pretty spacious, a black S Line Avant would look even better!!!

The V70 is getting a bit long in the tooth now, but that does mean discounts are pretty good. You'd be looking at something like £27k for a V70 T5 SE or Sport.

Thanks Martin. I have between 27k and 38k if I don't sell the 130. I was wondering about a second hand low mileage, fully loaded E320cdi or 535 or A6. I hate losing dosh on a new car!

Is there much difference between the E280CDI and the 320?

Sorry to be a pest.

Snail, I made an agreement with my best mate 10 years ago re Volvos. I gave him permission to do a "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - pillow over the head, euthanasia. Now I know that a lot has happened in those 10 years but I value my life and daren't take the risk.

[ QUOTE ]

Snail, I made an agreement with my best mate 10 years ago re Volvos. I gave him permission to do a "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - pillow over the head, euthanasia. Now I know that a lot has happened in those 10 years but I value my life and daren't take the risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same way some time ago.

However, we went and drove a V70 and it ticks all the boxes except it don't go fast enough (could not afford a V70R AWD).

Loads of room, 5 proper seats and then 2 others (for larger kids) in the boot. Very well put together, excellent set of toys, give one a look and just make sure.

James - The only differences between the E280CDI and E320CDI are the Power and Torque figures that the engines produce (it's the same V6 engine). The E280 has 190bhp and 325lb ft torque and the E320CDI has 224bhp and 398lb ft. Performance figures are E280 = 0-62 in 7.6 seconds, 149mph; E320 = 0-62 in 6.8 seconds, 155mph (limited).

If you want a spacious, comfortable car with decent 'waftability' then the E Class would be a good choice. There are some things to look out for like you must have sports suspension to have 17" wheels and above (my dad left them 16" for comfort) and unless you like shiney grills and tacky looking wood, then go for an Avantgarde rather than an Elegance.

It has a lot of nice touches, so have a good poke around e.g. a load cover that rises electrically up the D pillars.

If there is anything else you think of, either post here or send me a pm. I'm happy to help if I can, particularly someone who appreciates the charms of the 130!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same way some time ago.

However, we went and drove a V70 and it ticks all the boxes except it don't go fast enough (could not afford a V70R AWD).

Loads of room, 5 proper seats and then 2 others (for larger kids) in the boot. Very well put together, excellent set of toys, give one a look and just make sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Snail, i'll have a look ECLIPSe.gif

We've got a baby on the way. Selling my car is not an option since I've only had it 4 months, a 330cd BMW with DMS reprog. She has a TT Roadster which would be a shame to sell seen as it lost most of it's depreciation. I also have a 1991 300E Merc used for weekend trips to the pub, tip, etc. This will go to be replaced by an estate version of one of the last W124 Estates (M or N reg), ideally 320 or 280te to be used when we go out as a family. Cost £2000 ish. They are bullet proof, but given the cost I won't be too worried chucking prams in. And before anyone thinls that is reckless with a new baby, they have twin airbags, abs etc.