cheap vr6

dazr32

hello people

just a quick question and some advice needed really, i have been offered a vr6 on a l plate with 100,000 genuine miles on the clock, 3 owners from new, the last owning it for 50 of its 100,000 miles. my question is how much would i expect to pay for a cheap one and what do i look out for, any help would be appreciated.

OK Daz, every VR6 burns oil. And lots of it when it's properly run in. Like at 100K miles. If it's had an easy life, as soon as you start to kick it around, it'll eat more oil.

You can pick them up for about a grand these days in very good nick with 100K+ miles on them.

Bloody good car though - wish I'd bought one years ago instead of the Mk3 GTI... ROLLEY~14.GIF

cheers charles

is that about it on the reliability front or are there any other little gremlins to be wary of, and what was the corrosion protection like on the early cars as this ones tailgate is the only quick visible bad spot. otherwise it looks quite straight. 169144-ok.gif

Any car that old is going to rust a bit. They're stupidly solid cars, but I would check very carefully all around the windscreen for rust bubbles, as once it's taken hold, it's bloody hard to stop without a complete "everything out" rebuild.

You've got to go for a gut feel on it. If it's the right price, just do it. If it turns out to be a shed, just sell it on to someone who wants a shed to restore.

beerchug.gif

gut feeling is telling me it is a good buy but i have a mk 1 in the garage that i have not been able to touch for ages due to work commitments, and the r on the drive which would get even less use while i am messing about with the vr6, the guy only wants 500 notes for it but i guess he may move a little more when the folded comes out of my back pocket. deal or no deal????????????? smashfreakB.gif

at that age, it's around a grand depending on condition. points to watch -

rust areas, tailgate, doors, door sills (on top and underneath)

overheating - from poor maaintence, cylinder head gaskets a known weak point

cam chains should be replaced at 100K - gearbox out job

one cylinder is often more worn that others ( think it's either 5 or 6, due to leaner fuel mixture for some reason

suspension goes all soft and spongy, suspension top mounts need replacing, as do rear axle bushes.

cheers lads

i have got to go back to the blokes house tommorrow to drop some things off so i may give it a closer look, i dont want to come across too keen to him incase i decide to get it and then i may be able to knock him down a bit more.

You did say £500 didnt you ?????????????? BARGAIN !!!!!!

As long as its straight. I had a 94 plate Golf VR6 and the only thing that ever went wrong was the electric sunroof. The suspension could have been firmed up a tad if you are that way inclined as i dont think it has the 'chuckability' of say the MK2 16v, imho of course.Great car though.

i think i will get it for nearer the 400 mark, i am leaving it a bit as the guy is in no rush to sell it and he knows i am interested and i am in constant contact with him as i am designing some stuff for him so i will let it ride for a bit. my intention is for it to self finance my satnav upgrade for the r. ECLIPSe.gif

• 1 month later...

just an update

we got the vr6 for my sister in the end, 105000 miles 3 owners from new, it has been in the last owners family since 96. it is a 93/94 year l reg ful VAG service history right up to 5000 miles ago, she got it for £450, i couldnt believe it when the lady pulled the service schedule out. a bit of a result and my sister seems chuffed so a good nights work really, it needs a few things sorting on it but we may have uncovered a bargain there. jump.gif

• 2 months later...

I had a Golf VR for 4 years, great car and never let me down.

Servicing aside during the 4 yrs of ownership I had a faulty headlight switch and an auxiliary water pump replaced - £90 (initially crapped myself thinking it was the head gasket). It even spent almost a year without being used regularly and it still fired up first time.

Sold it last year for just over £2.1k (105k, 1 previous owner and FSH)

Great car and reliable, hence why I then progressed to an R32 crazy.gif

• 3 weeks later...