Windscreen chip of non-joy

AvantSE

Wifey turned up from work tonight and announced that there was a stone chip on the windscreen of the Fiesta. Knowing what she is like about scratches on her car, I didn't think it would be that severe.

However, when I eventually went out to have a look, there is damage to the screen, probably around the size of a 5p piece if not smaller. It is in the swept area in the view of the driver but has not damaged the surface of the screen (looks to be internal damage).

I had a car where it was damaged in a similar way, never spread, and passed its MOT.

So, a few questions:

a) Is it likely to spread;

b) Is it an MOT failure?;

c) Can it be repaired or is it a new screen job? If so, it might just spur us on a bit to change the car ECLIPSe.gif

My other half had something similar to this a few weeks ago. She called her insurance company who gave a number to call Autoglass, anyone else and they wouldn't have paid.

It was fixed within 15mins and looks fine now, she didn't need the entire windscreen replaced so no excess issues either. 169144-ok.gif

It can be an MOT failure but it has to be directly in the line of sight straight ahead of you and above about 10mm in size I think it is. It can be large in the rest of the screen also without failing. 169144-ok.gif

Just had my windscreen changed last week due to 12-inch crack...

Direct Line said my no claims was unaffected. Don't know if that helps, but thought I'd mention it. 169144-ok.gif

Lost my sodding tax disc because of it though as the phone aerial tax-disc holder wasn't put back on right

.... and the tax disc blew away with the roof down.

smashfreakB.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, been away on holiday and only just catching up with all the posts I missed. SMOKE6.GIF

All the replies in this thread are absolutely spot on. Well done guys! Sub 5p sized chips are indeed usually repairable, which Autoglass will do free if you have fully comprehensive insurance.

Ian

I've got a small chip in my windscreen too, in the driver's LOS, but smaller than a 5p piece. Its been there for some weeks but after keeping an eye on it for the first week to make sure it didn't get any worse, I haven't gotten around to getting it fixed up.

I've got a pic on my camera but its locked in the car at the moment crazy.gif

With my MOT looming I suppose I should go visit Autoglass!

I’ve just had the thing happen. I talked with RAC Auto Windscreens, they said they could have repaired the glass but it would leave a scar on the screen, and as the car is only 3months old feck that.They even ordered a genuine Audi screen for me, as I relly as I realy did not cheap crap being installed. It is getting fitted tomorrow and what to see it before they start the installation, so if it’s not a genuine part they can feck off. Windscreen replacement will not affect your no claims, but will cost you some cash depending on your excess. SPericani2.gif

Interesting. Personally I would have advised have a free repair done first and see what you think. Autoglass Glass Medic doesn't always leave a scar: Despite being office-based, I've done some field training, and the first repair I ever attempted was perfect - completely invisible! With Glass Medic being a free to fully comprehensive customers, if you are not happy with the result, then pay your excess and go for a replacement. Much better to keep the factory seal if you can. Sounds like RAC Autowindscreens just want your cash....

As for the quality of glass RAC Autowindscreens fit default, the words "cheap crap being installed" are written by our learned friend TDiAvant, and they are words which I feel unwise to comment upon.

Autoglass however don't make their own products, instead sourcing it direct from Saint Gobain or Pilkington - both Audi OE suppliers - or similar. Autoglass still remain the only UK glass replacement company who offer a lifetime workmanship warranty. Proper parts don't go wrong, hence there is nothing to hide.

Any questions, post or pm!

Ian